“Despite how hard life gets, you should sit down and eat.”- Lee Sandeul

Unrequited Love

* Monday * 

'' Aish... of all the days that ice prince is absent!'', Kwang-ho laments as he stares at the four juniors who were gawking at him.

'' Sunbaenim..then what are we going to do?... Can't you just review it for us?...'', Gongchan complains as he pouts his lips.

'' Araso... uh...how do we do this... yes.. umm.. ok.. well.. Fine. You kids, stop staring at me, go for a 1 hour break and be back here by 3pm. Get some inspiration from those trees over there... i can't concentrate with you guys staring at me..'', Kwang-ho shoos off his juniors since he himself was clueless about what to do since Jinyoung was not present in school.

* Ah-ra walks off to the open space in the music faculty *

'' Sandeul-ah, look at her. The more i look at her..the more attractive she gets..right?'', Gongchan taps Sandeul on the shoulder as he points to Ah-ra.

'' What? Yah! Don't like her~ You can't like her!'', Sandeul rebukes angrily as he starts to nag like he always did, coming up with whatever reasons for Gongchan not to fall for Ah-ra.

'' Haha..Why are you like this? I'm just saying, don't take it to heart..you should go and see what ideas she has for our group... Jung-woo is going to the music lab to review the song, since Kwang-ho sunbae is of no help..I'll go help them,'', Gongchan finishes his sentence off and runs to the music lab.

With a slightly nervous heart, Sandeul walks towards Ah-ra who was still gingerly walking towards the compound. He picked up his footsteps to catch up so that he could walk side by side with her.

'' Yah, babo...'', with a smile, he wraps his arms around her neck.

Ah-ra felt a little jumpy, as Sandeul was very close to her. The scent on his clothes, everything made her heart race. Not only that, he was too close to her face and she could even hear clearly the way he breathed. The words that were on the tip of her tongue, she couldn't even get it out, hence she only looked on the ground.

'' Wae? Are you not feeling well?'', Sandeul grabs her by the shoulder and places his hands on her forehead.

'' Lee Sandeul! Can't you just stay away for a moment? I'm trying to breathe here... why am i like this..'', those thoughts raced through Ah-ra's head as her face turned red.

'' Yah! Babo! I told you, look what happens when you stand in the cold for too long. Let's go over there to sit..'', thinking that Ah-ra was having a fever, Sandeul gently held her close to him as the both of them walked towards the bench nearby.

For a moment, Ah-ra felt like slapping herself for being unable to hide her flushed face from Sandeul. Being in his arms, she didn't dare to even move, not even turning around to look him in the eyes, for the fear that she might get caught or even fall for him even more.

* Sits down *

Sandeul eyes Ah-ra who was avoiding his gaze, he was trying to figure out why she wasn't in her usual bubbly state. Fearing that she was going to fall sick, Sandeul removes his jacket and places it on her shoulders.While trying to refuse the jacket, afraid that Sandeul might catch a cold, both of their hands accidentally brushed against each other. This made Ah-ra's stomach flop.

'' Yah! Stop acting like you don't need it. Look at your face, you're going to catch a cold like this...plus did i do something that made you sad? The whole day, you didn't even talked to me. I mean, after yesterday...did something happen?'', Sandeul expresses his insecurities to Ah-ra.

'' Lee Sandeul, you're my bestfriend right?'', Ah-ra finally voices out after trying so hard to not speak to him.

'' Obviously, i'm your friend! What's going on in that head of yours? Is there something troubling you? Huh? Or is it about the song that you're composing? You should tell me! Before i die of curiosity!'', Sandeul starts to pester her as he made cute faces just to make her smile.

'' Haha...Lee Sandeul, i'm just thinking about our project... Do i really look that serious? Anyway, i have several ideas....yah..don't look at me like that with your big eyes..listen to me..i'm serious.'', Ah-ra tries to be serious whereas Sandeul keeps fooling around with his thousands facial expressions.

'' There you go... you should express yourself instead of keeping quiet..alright, for the song i was thinking, maybe we should get Jungwoo to play the piano?...'', Sandeul continues to discuss about the project with Ah-ra as he seriously focuses on the progress of their project.

-----------------------------------------------

* End of a tiring day in school *

'' Kwang-ho's group , Jung Jinyoung sunbae will not be in school for a week. His father called in to say that he's very sick. So guide your group well.'', Mr Park announces to the group that Jinyoung was not going to be in school for a week.

'' Woah, he must be deadly sick then... he's had always had a perfect attendance.. alright. Thank you Mr Park.'', Kwang-ho politely bows.

* Ah-ra and Sandeul walks to the bus stop together * * Gongchan walks home *

Again, this time Ah-ra was deep in thoughts, after hearing that Jinyoung was sick, all she thought was him. His appearance yesterday didn't even show that he was not feeling well, he even handed her his shawl to protect her from catching a cold. She felt guilty for allowing him to go home with an exposed neck, if only she had rejected to use his shawl, then he would be here to help them with their project and still healthy.

'' Ah-ra?'', Sandeul examines her worried face as he called her name.

'' Yes?'', she replies him as she sweetly smiles.

'' You seem to be worried about something...'', Sandeul adds on as he studied her facial expression. Her red lips, her brown eyes, they seemed exceptionally sad today.

'' Just thinking about something...'', Ah-ra attempts to answer his question while trying not to look at him. For a moment, she wished that Sandeul would keep quiet, since he was making her all nervous with his questions. There is no way she could avoid Sandeul, this amazing person.

'' Since it's still early, lets go somewhere! You will definitely feel happy after that!'', Sandeul happily grabs Ah-ra by the shoulder as he drags her to the place that he had in mind.

--------------------

'' We're here! Despite how hard life gets, you should sit down and eat. '', Sandeul excitedly exclaims as he eyed all the food on the food cart.

'' Food? This makes us happy? '', Ah-ra confusingly looks at him as she looked at all the spicy-looking delicacies infront of her.

'' Ah...i forgot you're an agasshi... Ah-ra agasshi.. today i'll introduce you to all the food that i love, and it makes me happy whenever i think of it. Eating here, with my new bestfriend....haha.. Ahjumma! Give me two cups of ddukbokkie (spicy rice cakes ) and four pieces of fishcake.'', Sandeul smiles at Ah-ra as he orders the food.

'' Aigoo.. Deul-ah, your girlfriend? She's so pretty...'', the foodstall Ahjumma commented on Ah-ra as she serves the both of them their food.

* Sandeul blushes *

'' My girl....friend. You know, girl and a friend...haha..'', Sandeul awkwardly laughed as he picked up his food to eat.

* Ah-ra stares at Sandeul eating the spicy rice cakes *

'' Aren't you eating?'', Sandeul asks as he pointed to the rice cakes to her.

'' I'm not used to eati-'', Sandeul intercepts Ah-ra's reply by stuffing a rice cake into .

* Ah-ra grabs as she scrambles for water *

'' Oh! oh! I forgot to cool it for you... are you okay??'', Sandeul panics as he fans Ah-ra's now sweating and flushed face from the scorching hot spicy rice cake.

'' Lee..San- *coughs*'', trying to withstand the burning sensation on her tongue Ah-ra closes her eyes.

----------------------------------------

* Ah-ra's flashback *

'' Hyung! Hyung! My father bought us fish bread filled with red beans! Eat it while it's hot!'', Jinyoung comes running to Shinwoo as he passes the fish bread to him.

'' Yay! Fresh-baked bread! Ah-ra yah.. eat this...I know you like this the best...'', Shinwoo feeds Ah-ra as he sacrifices the bread that he loved eating so much to his little sister.

* Shinwoo feeds his 5 year old sister *

'' Hyung! You're supposed to blow it for her! It's going to burn her tongue!'', Jinyoung tries to stop Shinwoo but it was too late, the bread was inside of Ah-ra's mouth.

-------------------------------------------

Ah-ra's heart felt enlightened as she remembered about the similar situation that tooked place when she was younger. Her brother's sacrifice for her to eat. Being to be able to revive those precious memories made her heart feel warm. Even though it was going to take some time for her to remember everything, each precious memory that came back to her made her feel blessed.

'' This is delicious! Haha... Lee Sandeul, i was going to say that...I'll eat well.'', Ah-ra chuckled as she continued stuffing herself with the food infront of her. 

* Ah-ra fills her cheeks with the food *

Sandeul laughs as he watches her foolishly eat her food. It somehow reminded him of Baro, because that's exactly the way he would always eat, stuffing food into his mouth and then slowly chewing the food with his mouth full, just like a squirrel. 

* Ah-ra's phone rings *

Ah-ra : Oh? Dal-rae onni?

Dal-rae : Maknae, where are you? I bought pretty things for us. You're still outside?

Ah-ra : Uhuh... what pretty things? Seems like you're in a good mood. That's good...haha..

Dal-rae: Since i'm still shopping, i'll meet you at the basketball court near our house.. Ok?

Ah-ra : Eung, araso. ( i understand ). I'll meet you in an hour. See you!

* Hangs up *

'' Who?'', Sandeul curiously tries to peek at Ah-ra's phone while pouting his lips.

'' My sister... haha...'', Ah-ra chirpily answers him as she flashes a huge smile. Obviously happy to meet her sister later on.

Sandeul's facial expression changes drastically. He loses focus on Ah-ra who was now eating. He slowly puts down the fishcake stick that he was holding on earlier, his hands tremble as he tries to look away from her.

'' You're not eating anymore?'', with food in , Ah-ra pops the question to Sandeul as she sees him putting down his food.

'' I'm full.. aha-hahah.. Ah-ra sshi.. I'll send you home since it's getting late already. It's dangerous for a young lady like you to go home this late..'', Sandeul avoids her gaze as he offers to send her home.

'' Ahjumma, give me two serving of what i ate and pack it for me. Thank you!'', Ah-ra orders for more food for her to bring home.

* Both walks towards the bus stop *

Ah-ra swayed her arms as she enjoyed the breeze, the day was getting darker and colder. However, with Sandeul's presence, it was as if it was a dream, to meet someone who could actually make her feel that way. Plus, the simplicity of food that brings us happiness, Ah-ra growing up in a rich family was blinded from all of simplicity of life since she was born with a silver spoon in . Having Sandeul as a friend, made her feel grateful for being able to realise all of that.

'' Lee Sandeul, you're right... ha... i thin-'', Ah-ra stops before she finishes her sentence, Sandeul was day-dreaming.

His empty eyes fixed on the concrete pavement. Even the wind that disturbed his hairstyle didn't bother him that day, all he was thinking of was 'her'. Ah-ra grabbed the chance to take a good look at Sandeul, since he was a little too tall for her. She decided to tip toe and get a better look at what he was doing. 

* Ah-ra gazes into Sandeul's eyes. *

* Sandeul turns to see her looking at him *

..........................................

'' I didn't realise you were that short you know.'', Sandeul jokes as he awkwardly turns to his side to give a smile.

'' No, i'm not short... You're just tall...'', Ah-ra bit her lips as she turns to her side to hide her embarrassment from getting caught trying to look at him.

* Sandeul laughs *

Laughing was the best way to hide his thoughts from her, it was still too early to feel that way, he knew from the first moment he made the decision to be friends with her he had to prepare himself for this. Even if he was afraid of being found out, even if others see it as a wrong thing to do, he had no choice. For behind those empty eyes there is pain veiled by a thin wall of defensiveness.

* Bus arrives *

* Sandeul sits beside Ah-ra *

The innocent girl was now looking outside the window, admiring the city lights. Even from the back, she looks like 'her'. Her beautiful luscious hair, her pale flawless skin, everything about Ah-ra reminded him of her. He shuts his eyes tightly to stop the tears from coming. Pretending to have fell asleep, he slowly leans his head on Ah-ra's shoulders. If it was the way to make her fall for him, then let it be. Everything was going as planned, if he's charming and good enough, Ah-ra will soon fall for him.

* Ah-ra freezes in her seat as Sandeul's head was on her shoulders *

'' Sandeul-ah...wake up...you can't sleep...'', Ah-ra murmurs to him as she tries so hard to breathe. 

'' Eung? Let me sleep for awhile. Wake me up when we reach your destination...'', Sandeul pretends to close his eyes again as he wearily utters those words, giving Ah-ra the impression that he was too exhausted.

Ah-ra blankly blinks her eyes as she admires the city lights. Carefully, with her fingers like what she had always done, she drew a heart shape on the bus window, but this time she drew two hearts on it. One for herself and the other one for Sandeul, maybe. Although she was rather unsure about what she was feeling, maybe it could be that word 'love'. There was definitely a difference between liking someone and loving someone.

'' Get a hold of yourself, just because he's cute and all doesn't mean you 'love' him. So focus...and breathe...and look at the beautiful surroundings around you... Shin Ah-ra, this is not the time to fall for someone...'', Ah-ra reminds herself in her heart as she leans her head on the window.

* Arrives *

'' Sandeul... you should get going... you must be tired right?'', Ah-ra tries to convince him to get home since he was too tired.

'' No... i must send you home. It's late. I'll be worried.. don't you know that?'', Sandeul charismatically answers her as he got closer to her.

'' Worried..haha. Worry about me? Worry?!! Really... the only person that's ever worried about me is Shinwoo oppa and my parents...'', those thoughts raced through Ah-ra's mind as she naively smiles to herself.

'' Aigoo... it's so cold. Let me just give thi-'', as Sandeul talks, he gently leans closer to Ah-ra to present her with his scarf.

Just like what Jinyoung did yesterday, to protect Ah-ra from the cold, he gave his scarf to Ah-ra so that she wouldn't feel so cold. However, this time with different intentions. This wasn't his initial intention, just like in the movies, that was what the guys would do for the girls so that they would fall for them. In Sandeul's mind, he didn't care about whether she was feeling cold, he couldn't be bothered...all he knew was that his acting so far was great.

'' No! Keep this for yourself, you'll catch a cold just like Jin-. I mean you'll catch a cold like...like...that person.'', Ah-ra refuses his scarf as she thought of Jinyoung, thinking that he fell sick due to the fact that he gave the scarf to her. 

'' Haha... of course. This must have reeked of food.. bleh..'', Sandeul came up with the answer quirkily as he made a funny face.

* Both continues walking to the basket ball court *

* Ah-ra sees Dal-rae from afar *

'' Lee Sandeul, you should head home now. My sister is there, see?'', Ah-ra swiftly turns to him as she points to her sister.

'' Shin Ah-ra! Here!'', Dal-rae thinking that Ah-ra didn't see her screams for her little sister.

Sandeul without a word, gestures to Ah-ra to go on. With a fake smile, he sends her off. Without hesitating, he walks off from the scene.

* Ah-ra runs to her sister *

'' Onni... what did you buy? You seem to be in a good mood today...'', Ah-ra curiously asks as she sits on the bench beside Dal-rae.

'' I thought that i'd give this to you here....i-'', Dal-rae shyly answers Ah-ra as it wasn't her style to actually be doing this.

'' I know..it's because of oppa right? You're afraid he's going to scold you if you enter my room right?'', Ah-ra quickly grabs of the situation.

'' You're really good at reading my mind. Of course, you're the only one that understands me...'', Dal-rae smiled as she felt grateful that her little sister was really good on catching her thoughts.

* Dal-rae passes the gift to Ah-ra *

'' This? Your precious earrings....why are you giving it to me? Onni...'', Ah-ra 

'' Oh... you don't like it? It's your engagement present, wear this for your engagement party...promise me...i'll be the happiest sister on earth then..'', Dal-rae asks Ah-ra to promise her.

* Ah-ra hugs her sister *

---------------------------------

* Sandeul arrives home as he walks up the stairs to his apartment *

* Bumps into Baro who was also on his way back home *

'' Baro-yah...'', Sandeul turns to face Baro who was now trying to unlock the door.

Baro coldly twists his body at an angle where Sandeul could see his side-view.

'' What? '', Baro attempts to act like he was still upset with Sandeul.

'' You should understand... Baro-yah, you grew up with me fo-'', before Sandeul could even finish his sentence, he was gifted with a punch on the face.

'' You know what Deul? Even if i make use of myself, i don't make use of anybody else. That's the basic principle of life, don't forget what your mom taught you. Revenge? Is that what's on your mind now?! It's not the time! You're Lee Sandeul! Don't start what you can't end! Because you'll only lose yourself in that game!'', Baro furiously ends his words as he hurriedly opens the door to his house before he beat Sandeul up any further.

* Baro slams the door *

------------------------

'' Noona.....''- Lee Sandeul.

 

 

( A/N: How was this chapter? This chapter is totally contradicting, because of it's title...Sandeul says despite how hard life gets, you should sit down and eat, but he himself couldn't eat as he was troubled by something.  Yes, yes. Sandeul has something up his sleeves, but i won't reveal that just yet. Because his character is not that develop, he still struggles to portray his true self. So far, what's he been doing is all 'acting' so that he could get close to Ah-ra for god knows why only, I'll reveal that in next chapter :). For Ah-ra, she's falling deeper and deeper for Sandeul but she doesn't realise that it's only been a week since she last met him and you can't really call that love right? Or maybe? Does Sandeul love Ah-ra? Umm... You guys might have gotten the hint from what Baro had said... ;D )