Painful memories.

Unrequited Love

Jinyoung nervously eyes the panic-stricken Ah-ra. Trying to come up with an explanation was not going to help either. A moment of silence befell on the four of them, both Ah-ra and Sandeul were not saying anything, each trying to breathe. Jinyoung rubs his temples and awkwardly grabs Ah-ra by the shoulders, he was acting as if Dal-rae was not even there.

'' Yah...Shin Ah-ra...my dongsaeng... aren't you going to go in? Haha, you're the most cutest thing ever! Ah, that's right... Sandeul sshi, don't be jealous, we're really close. This is Dal-rae, a friend of mine. Recognise her? She's really good at cracking jokes...'', Jinyoung awkwardly laughs at Sandeul as he showed his gums.

'' San...Sandeul... i'm going in first... i'll call you later? Oh? Sandeul-ah...'', Ah-ra tries to speak, Jinyoung stops the now trembling Ah-ra by pushing her towards the gate of her house.

* Sandeul ignores her as he casts his eyes on the cold hard ground *

'' Shin Dal-rae, take care of Ah-ra. It's cold, you should be going in too... bye Ah-ra! Sandeul, lets go...'', without even glancing at his ex-girlfriend, Jinyoung forces a smile and now changes his attention to Sandeul.

* Dal-rae also focuses on Sandeul and sees him wearing the same ring as Ah-ra *

After waving a goodbye to Ah-ra, Jinyoung took several deep breaths as he turns to walk away from Dal-rae. He couldn't take it no more, there was no way he was going to look at her again. It was like a nightmare that was never going to end, the sound that he could only hear now was his unstable breathing and the pain in his chest. Still, he tried to smile. 

'' Jinyoung sshi? Leaving already? Shinwoo oppa, will be glad to see you... Oh? and you...you're that boy...Ah-ra's friend... nice to meet you..'', Dal-rae utters those simple and warm words that were full of ulterior motives.

Sandeul painfully gazes at Dal-rae. All these while, he was only able to see her from afar, even that he endured it. Now that he has finally found her, what was he going to say? That he was Junghwan? That mother is dead? The truth? How his heart literally tried to scream at her that he was Lee Junghwan, but for the fact that she had never once tried to find him. Was it because she was now a Shin? Sandeul knew that he had to remain calm, at least for now.

'' Yes, i'm Ah-ra's friend... uhh... i'll be on my way first...bye.'', Sandeul bows politely as he slowly withdraws himself from the scene.

* Jinyoung and Sandeul walks together back to the bus stop *

Their faces were both pale and it was as if their legs could give way at any moment soon. Jinyoung clutches his stomach again as the searing pain  became too powerful for him to withstand. Sandeul on the other hand was unable to comprehend the situation, it was too sudden for him to meet Dal-rae in such a way. She was not the noona he knew, her eyes were different, they lacked empathy. 

'' Sunbaenim... my bus is here..see you tomorrow..'', Sandeul emotionlessly utters those words as he boards the bus.

'' Wait! Lee Sandeul, about what Dal-rae said...'', Jinyoung thinking that Sandeul was affected by what Dal-rae had said about being Ah-ra's fiance tries to explain to Sandeul that it wasn't the case.

Sandeul's eyes widened as he observes Jinyoung's actions. What was Jinyoung talking about? Apparently, Sandeul was too shocked to see Dal-rae that his ears didn't catch the word 'fiance' and all that bugged him was Dal-rae not being able to recognise who he was. 

'' Hurry up and sit!'', the bus driver yells at Sandeul to get seated.

'' Sunbaenim, we'll talk tomorrow. My head is not really working today...must have been from the boring class just now...'', Sandeul politely bows as he heads towards the back of the bus without looking back.

Jinyoung sighs as he plops onto the wooden bench. He pathetically laughs to himself as he pictured himself as a coward who was unable to let go of his feelings. 

'' Yah...Jung Jinyoung...you really deserve a round of applause... what bad acting skills you have...now..is it finally time that you have to change? Do you not know how i feel jagiya? I really loved you... the words that came out from your beautiful lips...it was as if...i never knew you...If that's really what you want...i'll really let you go for real...i promise. This wretched heart of mine doesn't deserve your love anymore...'', Jinyoung slowly places both of his hands on his forehead as he mumbles silently to himself.

------------------------------

* Shin's household *

* Ah-ra and Dal-rae entering the house *

'' Shin Ah-ra! I missed you so much!'', Ji-hae runs to Ah-ra and hugs her tightly.

'' She misses you more than me... Ah-ra you're such a stealer...'', Shinwoo laughs as he grins seeing Ji-hae happy to see his little sister.

* Ah-ra drops to the floor as she grabs her chest *

'' Shin Ah-ra! Are you okay?! Dal-rae ah! Her medicine!'', Shinwoo immediately carries Ah-ra onto the sofa to calm her down.

* Dal-rae scrambles to the kitchen drawer to get Ah-ra's medicine that was able to calm her panic attacks *

'' Yeobo... she still has those panic attacks... our daughter... what if this happens in school?'', Mrs Shin turns to look at her husband as she worries for Ah-ra's health.

'' Araso...don't worry... i'll do something about it...'', Mr Shin heads to his room to make a call.

Dal-rae rushes back with the bottle of medicine and a glass of water and passes the pills to her brother. With extra care, Shinwoo makes Ah-ra swallow the pills. It was too prevent her attacks to turn into fits.

'' Shinwoo...is Ah-ra alright?'', Ji-hae Ah-ra's cheeks as she questions her boyfriend.

'' Oppa...i feel much better now... Onni.... i'm sorry... my heart must have been to excited to see you that i became breathless all of a sudden... I'll go change into my home clothes and join all of you for dinner soon... Give me a moment...'', Ah-ra weakly smiles as she gingerly walks to her room.

* Shinwoo turns to Dal-rae *

'' Did something happen?'', Shinwoo tries to sound as kind as possibly so as to not provoke Dal-rae.

'' I'm not sure...she was alright just now... laughing on Jinyoung's back and all... Ji-hae sshi... i'm so glad to see you today...haha. Where did you get that dress? It's stunning!'', Dal-rae attempts to hurriedly answer her brother and changes her attention to his girlfriend.

* Ah-ra changes into her home clothes *

Ah-ra crashes onto her bed as she covers her face with a pillow. Her cover is blown, it was only the first day that she was able to enjoy being together with Sandeul. Of course, this must be a punishment for her for not being truthful to him. For lying to such an innocent and sweet boy. The necklace and the ring, was it time to return it to him? 

'' You didn't even say a word... i'm so sorry...I really deserve to die a horrible death...argh..'', Ah-ra felt guilty, especially when Sandeul didn't respond to her when she said goodbye.

♫ Oh my beautiful target~~~ you zoom zoom my heart like a rocket~~ 

Ah-ra: Hello? Lee Sandeul... i..

Sandeul: Yah! What am i to you? Is it really true? I can't believe this...

Ah-ra : Sandeul-ah...i really like you...i really really really like you... it's not what you think it is..

Sandeul: Like what...do you know how jealous i was? Oh..That Jinyoung sunbae... i think he likes you. 

Ah-ra: Wait? What? Jealous...jealous..oh? You're angry because of that?! Not because of...

Sandeul : Hang up now...Shin Ah-ra you owe me a huge tub of ice cream. I'm not going to wear the ring to sleep tonight. Understand?  Bye..

Ah-ra : Sandeul...

* Hangs up *

'' Ah-ra...it's Dal-rae onni...i'm coming in..'', Dal-rae knocks on the door and a few seconds later she enters Ah-ra's room to check up on her little sister.

'' Onni...'', Ah-ra wearily calls out for her sister.

Dal-rae's eyes were again focused on the necklace that was around her little sister's neck. She didn't care if Ah-ra was feeling alright or not, she just wanted to know where Ah-ra got it from. Her fingers slowly reaches for the necklace that was on Ah-ra's neck.

'' This necklace... it's pretty..where did you get it?'', Dal-rae curls her lips as she questions Ah-ra.

Ah-ra hesitates for a moment, if she told Dal-rae that Sandeul was the one who had given the necklace to her, then her sister was going to suspect  her and Sandeul and then she's going to tell everyone...

'' Uh...i bought it. Onni... Lets go down now. I miss Jihae onni. Lets go...'', again, Ah-ra distractingly runs down to the dining room to join the family for dinner.

* Everyone in the household gathers together for dinner including Ji-hae *

Ah-ra slowly chewed on her food as the adults did the talking. Her brother looked exceptionally happy today, it was as if there was a light bulb directly on top of his head, he was always smiling. Even her parents were suspiciously bright today, it was as if she was missing out on something.

'' Aigoo... Yeobo...isn't this great news? Our son is already thinking of marriage... i feel like crying... even our Ah-ra is going to get married soon as soon as she graduates... i'm the luckiest mother on earth...'', Mrs Shin dramatically puts down her food utensils as she held on to her husband's arms.

Ah-ra who was listening, almost immediately chokes on the food that was in . Marriage? Her brother is planning to get married?! That is totally great news!

------------------------------------------------

* Sandeul's home *

'' Argh! I can't do this anymore! I can't!'', Sandeul throws his phone aside after hanging up on Ah-ra.

Sandeul starts smashing his family portrait and throwing things all over the place. 

* Baro banging on Sandeul's door *

'' Lee Sandeul! Open the door now! Before i break it open! Get a hold of yourself!'', Baro shouts and begs for Sandeul to open the door.

'' Why should i open it?! I thought you weren't my friend anymore! Hate me all you want! Omma...omma...'', Sandeul became hysterical and starts crying.

Baro breaks the door open. *

The sight infront of Baro broke his heart, Sandeul was all alone hugging himself tightly as he painfully calls out for his mother. Baro knew that something must have had happen for Sandeul to have a sudden outburst. It was not Sandeul to break down, he had always been cheerful. His burden was finally taking a toll on him.

'' Yah...Lee Sandeul...what's wrong..tell me...i'm here...it's okay...it's okay..you're going to be alright. If you're tired..if you're exhausted...i'm here...'', Baro brought Sandeul's head to his shoulders, this time Sandeul was not resisting it.

'' Cha Baro... i want to kill myself. It's so difficult... can't i just be Sandeul? Can't i? I don't want to be Junghwan. I don't want to! Why must it be my problem! Is it my fault that my own sister doesn't know that she's living with her own mother?! The webs of lies that my father created! Why?! Living as Lee Sandeul... i like it better...'', tears fell as if there was no tomorrow. Sandeul grabs Baro as he weeps anguishly.

'' Your mother is dead... you don't have to be Junghwan... just be Sandeul. Just be the Sandeul that you are... it's your father's mistake, he made your family like this... does he even care? When he committed suicide because of all the debts that he owed...did he think about you and your mother? No! It's time for you to let go of everything...Even if you get everything back, you're not going to be Sandeul..you're going to end up as the old Junghwan...you want that?!'', Baro tries to slap Sandeul back to his senses. If his friend was going to act this way, he was afraid that he will lose Sandeul forever.

'' Because of that Shin...because of the Shin's! I'm alone...i'm lonely! Even my sister didn't come to find me! Who am i supposed to trust now?! I'm doing this for the sake of my mother...and family... Baro...what am i going to do... I saw her today...again, but she doesn't recognise me...'', Sandeul tries to fight back the tears as he calms himself down.

'' Sandeul-ah... you have me...look i have a job now... I'm a bodyguard already, tomorrow..is my first job assignment, your school fees, i'll help you with that... About your mother's last wish... maybe you can tell your sister the truth... about the affair thingy... but about destroying the Shin's family business... don't do it...don't do it if you're exhausted of everything...Just focus on your dreams...it's still not too late...'', Baro gave his best shot at convincing Sandeul that it was not worth the risk to destroy the Shin's.

* Sandeul's flashback *

Sandeul bit his tongue as he achingly watches his mother's smile fade away. Her lips were cracking, her eyes were hollow and her cheeks were so sunken that it accentuated her high cheek bones. There she was...trying to act like everything was alright. Trying to make him feel better. He knew  his mother well, he was going to be 21, who was she trying to fool him.

'' Omma... you're going to get well..don't worry. I'm working hard... look at this, this trophy...i won first prize for the singing contest and the money..we'll use it for your operation...ok? Omma...please...listen to me for once...'', Sandeul held his mother's hands tightly as tears starts to form in his eyes.

'' Sandeul-ah... i think... i think i won't be able to make it through the night... my son...my dear son... i have to tell you something... don't hate me... omma loves you... you know that right?'', Sandeul's mother weakly speaks and starts coughing.

Sandeul's eyes watered as he waited for the words that was going to come out of his mother's mouth next. Trying to hold back the tears was the hardest thing to do, he was afraid to make her worry, he knew very well that she wasn't going to make it. To avoid crying, Sandeul began singing...at least that was the only thing that he could do for his mother while she's still alive.

'' Sandeul-ah... actually... Dal-rae is your half-sister... your father had an affair with his best friend's wife. When she was born, her mother selfishly abandoned her to me. She didn't know how beautiful Dal-rae was... although i hated your father...the baby was innocent... so i accepted her into the family... i didn't give her away because i hated her...i wanted her to be happy with her own mother... My baby daughter doesn't even know that she has a mother... how my heart aches every times she mentions about not having a mother and father... Sandeul-ah...you're a good son.. Even after our family's business was stolen by the Shin's a few years after the birth of Dal-rae...you never blamed me for living in poverty...instead you worked hard. Omma is sorry for telling you this only now... as my last wish... please tell Dal-rae that... i miss her badly... and take care of my Junghwan for me...how lonely he is going to be...after i leave this world...'', tears silently fell down her sullen face.

It was as if a bullet was short straight into his heart, all these while... his mother suffered all alone. Keeping the secrets all to herself. How she tooked up part time jobs for her to support him just so that he was able to fulfil his dreams to become a singer. How she single-handedly raised both him and Dal-rae up on her own, how painful it must have been for her to actually take care of her husband's love-child. How torturous it must have been for her to lose all of her wealth just because of his father's mistakes.

'' Sandeul-ah...omma, is tired now...i'll rest now...'', Sandeul's mother broke into a cold sweat as she slowly closes her eyes.

'' You've suffered enough... don't worry omma... i'll make sure those people will pay for your sufferings... while they eat warm rice, you painstakingly worked yourself to death... I'll find Dal-rae noona... don't worry...you'll meet her soon.. so you can't go now... You have to hang on...'', Sandeul brought his mother's hands to his chest as he swore to seek revenge against the Shin's and at the same time to find Dal-rae.

* His mother's hands slowly slips away from him as death greets her *

-----------------------------------

'' It's time to let go of those painful memories... You have such a great future ahead of you... Those people, you don't have to give a damn about them... as long as i'm here, i'll protect you... Sandeul-ah... tell Dal-rae and end it just there... you'll hurt yourself and Shin...Shin Ah-ra...she's innocent...'', Baro softly comforts the now hiccuping Sandeul.

'' Shin Ah-ra... surprisingly... my plan is going very well...don't you think my mother is watching me well from heaven? I'll make her parents regret for taking away everything from me. Maybe...maybe if Dal-rae noona tells me to stop...i'll stop then...when i have my noona by my side...i think i'll be alright again...'', Sandeul bit his lips as he stares into Baro's eyes.

For a moment, Baro felt his stomach drop. That look in Sandeul's eyes, it was too scary. Baro tries to shrug off the depressing topic and heads to the kitchen to find something for Sandeul to eat.

'' Lets eat ice cream...any way, we should celebrate! Tomorrow is my first day at work! Ahh... i'm nervous...'', Baro comes back with a tub of ice cream in his hands.

* Baro shoves a scoop of ice cream into Sandeul's mouth *

'' Haha! Aigoo...my ducky...you look so ugly... smile...'', Baro laughs as he disturbs Sandeul.

'' You're even more ugly than me! Wearing that suit when you're short! Hopefully your first day at work tomorrow-'', before Sandeul could even finish his sentence, Baro stuffs his mouth with ice-cream again. 

This time, he couldn't help but laugh. He couldn't thank Baro enough for being such a loyal and faithful friend. Sandeul wipes away the tears on his face. How embarrassing for a grown man to cry infront of his best friend. At least now, Baro was with him, maybe if Baro wasn't here, he would have jumped out of the building to end his hapless life. The night grew deeper as Sandeul enjoyed Baro's company. 

'' Deul-ah! Good night... just lock the door from the inside... i'll fix it for you tomorrow...bye!'', Baro bid his friend goodbye and rushes back home.

'' Araso! Cha Baro! I love you! Good luck for tomorrow and take care! Thanks...thanks for the great advice...'', Sandeul hyperly waves goodbye at Baro and glances at the ring that was on his finger.

* Sandeul dials for Ah-ra's number again. *

Sandeul: Hello? Am i disturbing you? I'm sorry... i miss you. 

Ah-ra : You...i was so worried... are you still upset? I promise... tomorrow after school, we'll go on a date..How about that?

Sandeul : Date? Sure. Anything that you want... haha... umm... Looks like tonight i'll be sleeping with the ring. I'm going to squash it when i sleep...and hopefully it will survive the next day... 

Ah-ra: Yah... i'm trying to not yell here...everyone is already asleep... why would you even want to kill that innocent ring... Do you want me to sing you a song to cheer you up?

Sandeul: Ok...let me listen then...

Ah-ra: Dancing bears...painted wings...things i almost remember...and a song...someone sings...once upon a december...far away...long ago..glowing dim as an ember...things my heart used to know..things it yearns to remember...♫ Sandeul-ah...this is a huge secret...you can't tell anybody.. i'm only telling you this because i trust you.

Sandeul: What is it? 

Ah-ra : Jung Jinyoung sunbaenim... is a really nice person..so don't hate him... i'm not sure why he acts like he's so cold in school... but he's really very nice.

Sandeul : Really?...how do you even know him?

Ah-ra: That's a another secret. When i regain all of my memories of him, i'll tell you then. Lets sleep. See you tomorrow! Goodnight!

Sandeul : Wait! Ah-ra! Wait!

Ah-ra : What?

Sandeul : I love you. Goodnight...

* End of call *

* Sandeul rancorously ( with resentment ) tooked off the ring from his finger and threw it at the corner of his room *

------------------------------------

 

 

 

( A/N: Aha... so i finally revealed Sandeul's secrets... how was this chapter? I hope that it's not disappointing... ^^.  Thank you for reading and have a nice day! Today was a total BANA day for me, thanks to the boys tweets... Sandeul is resting...and that really puts my heart at ease... B1A4 <3 BANA  :D <3 Don't worry... i'll update again after watching Rooftop Prince and I Miss You. Probably by the end of tomorrow or maybe on Tuesday morning... ^^ Thank you for reading! and do leave comments ^^ )