'' Lets be friends..''- Shin Ah-ra.

Unrequited Love

* After Ah-ra leaves Sandeul's house *

'' Lee Sandeul, that girl..'', Baro asks curiously as he sat beside Sandeul with his eyes wide open.

'' I know. I know...I'll explain it to you when the time comes...'', Sandeul tries to avoid speaking about Ah-ra.

'' Is that part of your plan? Lee Sandeul? You're so cunning...Ha.. I can't believe this..Bye. Your mother wouldn't be happy..'', Baro gulps as he leaves his best friend's house, obviously startled by something but he himself couldn't pick up the courage to believe that Sandeul would do such a thing.

'' Cha Baro...it's not what you think! I- Yah!'', Sandeul yells for Baro, but he knew even words couldn't redeem himself of what Baro was thinking.

* Baro leaves the house *

Sandeul covers his head as he slams the paper on the cold hard floor. How was he going to face Baro? What was he going to say to him about Ah-ra. Sandeul bit his lips hard as he gazes at an old picture of his late mother.

'' Omma... i'm doing this for you. I'm sorry.'', Sandeul regretfully repeat those words in his heart as he closes his eyes.

----------------------------------------------

* Shin's household * * 6pm *

'' Aigoo... Jinyoungie.. Come in.. It's so nice of you to actually come even though this old man of mine called you over at the last minute..'', Mrs Shin warmly greets Jinyoung as he enters the house.

'' It's my pleasure, Mrs Shin.. It's been a long time since i last visited you. I'm sorry...Mr Shin, i'm here to pay my respects to you'', Jinyoung bows as he heads to Mr Shin who was standing by Shinwoo's side.

Mr Shin grins as he sees Jinyoung approaching him. With a broad smile, he grabs him by the shoulders. They said that a person's eyes are the windows to their soul, and Mr Shin could see that Jinyoung was a person that would stay true to his love and was a loyal person. He was perfect for Ah-ra. If only his daughter could remember how important Jinyoung was to her, he did everything he could for Ah-ra to remember her past but to no avail. Hence, with Jinyoung, there could be a possible chance for her to regain at least a part of her memories. Marrying Ah-ra to Jinyoung would also honor his friendship with Mr Jung, a loyal chauffeur of his who tooked good care of Ah-ra and Shinwoo and contributed a lot to the Shin's family.

'' You've grown up so much... Your dad must be proud of you.. Come sit...'', Mr Shin invites Jinyoung to sit and eat dinner.

* Mrs Shin prepares the table *

'' Dal-rae! Dal-rae~! Come down here for dinner!'', Mrs Shin calls for her daughter to sit down at the table to join for dinner.

* Jinyoung casts his attention on the stairs *

As Dal-rae was going down the stairs, she tucks in her toussled hair behind her ears and slowly looked towards Jinyoung's direction. Both of their eyes met with one another. His glowing eyes, her painful heart, how was she going to survive sitting on the same table as her boyfriend. What will he say? What will her parents say? What will Shinwoo react if he finds out about the relationship? For a moment, Dal-rae's heart screamed for Jinyoung to not say a word, for she didn't want to hurt him. She difficultly turned away to look at her parents and picked up her pace to get seated.

* Dal-rae sits infront of Jinyoung *

'' This is my daughter Dal-rae. You probably know her right? She's in the same school as Ah-ra and you.'', Mr Shin introduces Dal-rae to Jinyoung.

Jinyoung could only smile at Mr Shin as he uttered those words. Only god knew about all the stories that he wanted to share about Dal-rae to her family. About what a great student she was, about how graceful she was a ballerina and how beautiful she was without even having to try hard.

* Jinyoung continues eating *

'' The engagement party, we should probably set it in June.. it's also the time where they'll have a long break. We'll have exactly two months and just in time for Ah-ra's birthday too.'', Shinwoo voices out as he stuffs food into his mouth.

'' Hyung-'', before Jinyoung could continue on, Dal-rae interrupts him.

'' That's great! Omma, we should set time aside to go shopping with Ah-ra! Her dress and also engagement ring, to see my little sister dress up prettily for her engagement party.'', Dal-rae delightfully turns to her mother as she suggested to help Ah-ra with the engagement party.

Shinwoo shifts his attention to Dal-rae. He gave his best-shot at smiling at her for taking the initiative as a sister to help Ah-ra with the engagement party. Dal-rae seeing her brother smiling at her, for the first time felt so relieved. All she wanted was acceptance, and there it was, him showing approval of her for trying to contribute in the preparation of their little sister's engagement party.

'' Dal-rae, the dress i have a design in mind. But i'll need your opinion...'', Shinwoo adds on and for a moment gazes into her eyes and then looks away as he wasn't used to being that 'close' to her but since Jinyoung was present, he decided to give her face.

* Continues with discussion *

-----------------------------

'' I'm back!'', Ah-ra runs into the house as she greets her parents, she was late by 30 minutes.

'' Yah! Where were you? I told you to be back by six.'', Shinwoo stands up and heads towards his little sister to pull her ears.

* Pulls Ah-ra's ears and brings her to the dining table *

'' Ah! Ah! Oppa! My ears!'', Ah-ra cries out as she held on to her ears.

Jinyoung carefully observed the two siblings actions, they seemed to be very close to each other compared to Dal-rae and Shinwoo. To think of it, Shinwoo was always avoiding Dal-rae's gaze and didn't show the same affection and concern towards her like he did to Ah-ra. Jinyoung then eyes Dal-rae, she was heavily watching Ah-ra and Shinwoo who were infront of them, her eyes were green with envy. He knew something was amiss, there was something that his girlfriend was hiding from him, a problem. A problem he never knew.

* Dal-rae casts her eyes on the rice bowl infront of her as her parents laughs at the two siblings antics *

'' Jinyoung-ah, don't mind the both of them. Some times, he forgets that she's 21. If it weren't for their similar faces, people would have mistook them for a married couple. You're not jealous right? '', Mrs Shin tries to lighten the atmosphere just in case Jinyoung felt jealous.

* Shinwoo pushes Ah-ra to Jinyoung * * Jinyoung grabs hold of her *

'' Oppa!'', Ah-ra furiously turns to see her brother laughing at her. ( Shinwoo trying to play the match maker )

'' Shinwoo-yah, stop disturbing her... Jinyoungie is not used to seeing this, he might feel uncomfortable. Sit down.'', Mr Shin stops the ''sibling fight'' in case Ah-ra bursts out crying since she always does that every time her brother tries to or disturb her.

* Ah-ra glares at her brother * * Shinwoo shrugs as he pouts his lips * * Jinyoung laughs awkwardly *

'' Umm.. you two. Maknae, go sit beside Jinyoung oppa.'', Mrs Shin directs her daughter to sit beside him.

'' Eww... Jinyoung oppa.. OPPA. Not sunbaenim, but oppa.. I used to call this 'bird' oppa.'', those words ran through her head as she shivers.

'' Yah..Babo~ sit down...'', Jinyoung finally voices out as he knew exactly what was going on in Ah-ra's head. He could recognise it from the moment that she showed a disgusted face at the mention of 'Jinyoung oppa'.

Babo? Ah-ra's blushes at the thought of the word ''babo'' (fool). It was exactly what Sandeul called her after she stood still while she was standing at the entrance of his house, admiring him in his white shirt and jeans. His chestnut brown hair and deep eyes, all of that made her heart thump and the temperature on her cheeks seemed to be rising thinking of him. The way he gripped her wrists as he led her into his house.

'' Babo.. haha...'', Ah-ra smiles as she whispers those words to herself while holding her wrists.

* Everybody looks at her * * Shinwoo giving her the 'are you crazy?' face * * Mrs Shin staring at her with a slightly flustered face * 

'' Ah-ra yah... we're discussing about your engagement party.'', Mr Shin announces after his daughter finally settles down to eat her food.

'' Eung? but i thought it was just a jok-'', with food full in she lifts her head up to look at her father as she tries to explain.

'' It's final. After you eat. Go sent Jinyoung off after this. After all, the two of you are getting engaged. Even Mr Jung has agreed to it the last time.'', her mother gave the final say so that her daughter wouldn't make decisions on her own again.

Jinyoung regretfully casts his eyes on Dal-rae, the words that he wanted to say, it just wouldn't come out. Why was she trying to protect him? Why did she stop him from telling everybody about their relationship? Why is she smiling, when she's obviously hiding the pain? He felt her pain, after all they were not her true family. Hence, she's always left out. He deemed himself useless for not being able to cheer her up in the current situation, how he longed to touch those soft hands of hers and hold her close to him to inform her that everything was going to be alright.

'' Omma, Appa, i have to do my work now. I'll go to my room first...'', Dal-rae quietly announces as she heads to her room.

* Jinyoung stares at the back silhoutte of his lover *

'' Mr and Mrs Shin, i'll make my move then. Thank you for today.'', Jinyoung bows as he shooked Mr Shin's hand.

* Mrs Shin gestures to Ah-ra to sent Jinyoung off *

'' No, no.. thank you for coming over here.'', Mr Shin humbly gave Jinyoung a pat on the back before sending him off to the door.

---------------------------------------

* Ah-ra walking Jinyoung to the bus stop *

The both of them kept silent for a long time, since they were now officially going to get engaged soon. One was worrying about his girlfriend, and the other trying to keep control of her feelings for her new best friend. The confusing situation made them feel more awkward than ever. While they were walking, Jinyoung felt a little bit uncomfortable as he was having a slight headache but still he presses on to tell Ah-ra the truth and places his hands on his head.

'' Shin Ah-ra, i have something to tell you.'', Jinyoung broke the silence as he seriously looked into her brown eyes.

'' What?'', Ah-ra stared into space as she replied him.

'' I-i-and D-'', Jinyoung tries to explain but something unexpected happens.

* Ah-ra sneezes *

'' I think i'm going to catch a cold.. what was it that you were going to say?'', Ah-ra turns to look at him as she asks him to repeat himself.

Without saying a word, Jinyoung takes off the warm scarf on his neck and handed it over to her. Ah-ra surveyed the wool scarf blankly, she didn't know what he was trying to do. Feeling frustrated, Jinyoung forcefully put the scarf on Ah-ra by bringing the ends of the scarf together, wrap around her neck, and ends it off by pulling the ends through the loop.

* Puts his hands on her cheeks *

'' Sending me here will do, it's cold. I'll see you tomorrow to help with the project. About today...'', Jinyoung uttered those words while holding on to her cheeks just because his hands were freezing. He couldn't finish his sentence as he stared into her innocent-like eyes.

'' Don't worry. I know. They're always thinking about themselves. Sometimes i get frustrated too..'', Ah-ra held his hands that were on her cheeks and slips a hand warmer into his hands.

'' I'm glad that you understand.. Indeed, you're Shin Ah-ra..'', Jinyoung flashes a smile at her as he flicks her forehead.

'' Even if i can't remember you like how you remembered me.. Jung Jinyoung, lets be friends...Looking at it, we've must been very close right?'', Ah-ra fixed her gaze into his eyes as she proclaims her desire to get to know him more.

'' Of course... Shin Ah-ra, promise me something.'', Jinyoung slightly bends his knees to look straight into her eyes and held his pinky out.

Ah-ra curiously stares into his small eyes and his sharp facial features, the smell of his cologne overwhelmed her. He was so different from the Jung Jinyoung that she met in the lecture room a few days ago. He was a warm and nice person, why was everyone afraid of him and why does he act so cold in school?

'' Promise me, that one day when you remember me. Tell me the truth. I'm really dying to know the truth.'', Jinyoung spouts those confusing words to Ah-ra. As if trying to hint something from the past, but keeping it away from her at the same time.

* Jinyoung pats her on the head and waves at her as he headed towards the bus stop *

Truth? What truth? Ah-ra scratches her head as she gingerly walked back to her home.

------------------------------------

After seeing Ah-ra turn her back, Jinyoung changes direction. Instead of heading towards the bus stop, he went in the direction of the basket ball court near the Shin's mansion. He fishes out his smartphone as he dials Dal-rae's number. With his left hand in his pocket, he tried to withstand the cold weather since he was no longer using a scarf to cover his now exposed neck.

* Dal-rae answers the call *

Dalrae: Umm.

Jinyoung : Meet me near the basket ball near your house.

Dalrae : Araso, give me ten minutes.

* Hangs up the call *

Jinyoung nervously sat on the cold bench alone. All he thought of was Dal-rae. Millions of questions were waiting to be asked. It was as if he could almost die from feeling frustrated. He wanted to know badly why she didn't try to stop the engagement with Ah-ra, her little sister.

* Jinyoung hears the soft foot steps behind him *

'' Dal-rae ah!'', Jinyoung rises from the bench and runs towards her.

Dal-rae kept silent, her lips were pale and cracked. Now, he was left with nothing to cover her with. As the last act of sacrifice, he willingly took off his jacket and put it on her. While wearing the jacket filled with warmth on her, she tossed it aside. She couldn't comprehend why Jinyoung didn't get the message. Did he think she was joking when she said she wanted a break-up? She expressed all of those thoughts in her eyes.

'' No. Why are you being like this? Please...'', Jinyoung begs as he squeezed her hands tightly.

'' Oppa! Stop it! We're over...'', Dal-rae tries to free herself from his grasps.

'' Shin Dal-rae!'', Jinyoung yells as he grabs her hands even tighter.

'' Let me go! I don't love you! I don't love you!'', she screams repeatedly as she forces him to let go of her hands.

As Dal-rae became hysterical, Jinyoung felt his his ear drums pop , the screams from Dal-rae started to become distant and her voice faded. His vision got so disoriented that darkness started to overcome him.

* Jinyoung collapses *

Dal-rae stood rooted to the ground as she sees her boyfriend collapses infront of her eyes. Fear overcame her, she kneels down to shield him from the cold. His blue lips, she knew she had gone too far.

'' Jinyoung-ah..wake up...please wake up..'', Dal-rae whispers those words into his ears as she cradled him in her arms.

* 15 minutes later *

Jinyoung slowly regained consciousness, as he slowly got up, he held his head. He turned around to look for his girlfriend, but she was nowhere to be seen. Biting his lips, he desperately searches for her. Tears uncontrollably came down his cheeks, the lump that was forming on his throat became more prominent as he tried not to cry. After several failed attempts of looking for her, he finally decided to go home. He knew that she was serious of leaving him, but he just couldn't let her go. He couldn't. As Jinyoung got into the taxi, Dal-rae peeks to see him getting on the taxi  to get home. Her heart could finally rest. 

------------------------------------

* Dal-rae's flashback *

'' Who do you think you are? Trying to snatch everything from Ah-ra! Yah!'', Shinwoo grabs the teddy bear belonging to Ah-ra from Dal-rae's hands.

'' No, oppa..i didn't. I just wanted to give it to h-'', before she could finish her sentence, Shinwoo pushes her out of the room.

'' Oppa... i promise, from now on.. i won't take anything that belongs to her...'', Dal-rae begs for forgiveness as she knocks on the door crying.

-------------------------------------------------

'' I was selfish. I should have told you that it was Ah-ra and not me. I loved you so much that for a moment, i forgot my place. You were never mine in the first place and that in trying to hide this relationship, i only hurt you even more. Lying to you... Jung Jinyoung will you ever forgive me?''- Shin Dal-rae.