To tell, or not to tell

Predicted Accident

 

Jonghyun’s mind was filled with thoughts about Taemin. Onew's worries were justified and Jonghyun knew that even after what he told Taemin, he had little impact on the younger. The parting look that Taemin bore into his eyes told him so. But it wasn't as if he could tell the leader that he had failed - that would only make the elder worry even more, and the elder had more than enough to worry about. But what should he say? The leader would definitely expect a report on Taemin's well-being. Was there no other way than to lie?
 

"Hyung, what do you think of white lies?" Jonghyun asked the manager who was driving him back to set.

 

"White lies?" The manager repeated. "Well if it is a must, it's forgivable; but if it is someone close to you, telling the truth would be better. They would most likely find out the truth sooner or later; and more often than not, they would prefer to hear the truth from someone they trust. If it's someone you've just met, it's better to be polite. If it were me, I would like to know what is really going on in your mind."

 

"What if you already have many other things on your mind? Like say for example... If you are having many family problems and your girlfriend suddenly breaks up with you? Would you prefer if she told you a little later? After all your problems are over?"
 

"Do you have a girlfriend again, Jjong?" The manager interrogated, taking his eyes off the road for a second to glare at the singer.

 

"I said for example. And no, I don't. I just have something to break to Jinki hyung, but it has been really hard on him since the accident. I wonder if I ought to tell him about it now," Jonghyun explained.
 

"Well, if my girlfriend wants to break up with me, I would prefer she did it later I guess. But it doesn't really help because it would seem like she is forcing herself to be with me all the time. But if she broke up with me there and then, I would be unhappy with her as well. Basically I'll find any excuse to hold somewhat of a grudge against her for the break up." The manager paused for a moment. "You swear you're not dating? For god's sake, Jjong, the next time you start dating, please have the decency to give me some warning."

 

"I'm not," Jonghyun sighed in exasperation, rolling his eyes. He paused to absorb the manager's advice. "Your answer doesn't help, hyung. I should have never asked you. Should I tell him or should I not?"
 

"It's up to you to decide, Jjong. There isn't a right answer to every situation and this is one of those situations. Whether you tell him, or you don't, in the end the consequences that follow are yours to carry." Jonghyun let out a loud sigh, flopping backwards into the cushion seat of the car as he tried to organize his thoughts. "If you think it is important enough that it needs his attention, tell him. If you think you can handle it on your own, wait till you think the time is right to tell him."

 

"It's important. But it would make him worry. I did what I can about it but I don't think it helped much. I just don't know telling him or not telling him would be better." The manager glanced at the singer and gave him a small smile that told him to make his own decisions. Jonghyun turned to stare out the window, suppressing yet another sigh.

 

What other choices are there? Tell him, don't tell him. There has to be an alternative... The other members... Jinki hyung did say not to tell Kibum, but he deserves to know as much as Jinki hyung deserves to know about this... The only other person I can consult... would be Minho.


 

Jonghyun squeezed out a nervous smile at the leader when their eyes met. Jinki furrowed his brows together, trying to figure what that expression meant. He tilted his chin towards the younger, hoping to get a nod of affirmation for good news, or a shake of his head to indicate bad news. Jonghyun did shake his head, but with a small smile touching his lips, telling the leader that now was not the time. Jinki shot the singer a look of disbelief. Why did this have to wait when it could be conveyed now? Unless... it was bad news? But why would Jonghyun be smiling then? So it’s good news? But wouldn’t that mean that he would want to spread the news quickly? Jinki shook the thought out of his mind and resigned to waiting rather impatiently for any chance to drag the said member away from the rest of the group.

 

As the team piled into the van, Jonghyun pulled Minho to the side. “I need to talk to you, sit beside me,” the older of the two whispered before climbing into the van, giving no one else any hints of their conversations. Minho stared after the shorter figure in puzzlement but quickly climbed in after him.
 

“What is it?” Minho whispered loud enough for the silent van to hear him. Key and Jinki turned around to look at the duo.

 

“Here, listen to this,” Jonghyun improvised quickly, popping on of his earpiece into Minho’s ear which played one of his many compositions.

 

“Hey, this is really good,” Minho encouraged with a smile. The other members finally turned back to their own business, no longer minding about the small chat the two were having. Jonghyun glared at a completely clueless Minho and his phone into the younger’s wide palm.

 

Way to go, genius. Look, I need you to keep it down; it’s about Jinki hyung... and Taemin. The thing is I promised hyung I would not tell Kibum about this, but he did not say that I couldn’t tell you and plus, I really need your opinion on this. So just swear that you wouldn’t talk to Kibum about this?

 

Minho furrowed his brow tightly in deep concentration as he reread the words a few more times before finally settling his thumbs on the keypad.

 

I don't really have a say in this, do I? Why is it that every time something happens, it is always Jinki hyung and you that has the control over the entire situation? Don't you think Kibum deserves to know as well? Jonghyun gulped a little, sensing the anger and annoyance seeping through the younger's words.

 

It's not that we are not telling him, it's just now isn't the right time. It's not like we have a choice either. Anyone who wants to pass the message would always go to Jinki hyung first. And after all of his stupid mind filters, he passes the message on or keeps it all to himself. Things that he doesn't even want to know, he is forced to know. You're not the only one unhappy about this so it up. Are you in or out? Jonghyun the phone back to the other in the similar sharp motion that Minho had passed to him earlier.

 

In. Minho typed simply and swiped the phone back swiftly.

 

Taemin has depression.

 

Minho sat up sharply and widened his already huge eyes even larger. He turned his upper body to press his back against the frame of the vehicle. Jonghyun softened his expression to one of sorrow and worry and snatched the phone back from the younger's hands, his fingers flying across the keypad.

 

He knows about his injuries. As far as I know, his mother and the doctor talked about it in front of him, and like any other doctor, he explained the risks to make sure that it is put out in the known but he didn't take it too well.

I talked to him earlier when I was there; I said all that I could think of to convince him that everything would be alright, but I don't think it worked. So I wanted to ask for your opinion; do you think I should tell hyung about this? He asked me to talk to Taemin; but if I tell him it didn't go too well... I think he has more than enough to worry about now.

On a lighter note, Taemin can now open his eyes :).

 

Minho shut his eyes tightly, frustration written all over his face before he lifted his lids to reread the entire chunk of words again.

 

What do you mean

He backspaced the words and tried again.

Why would he

Minho shook his head in attempt to straighten his thoughts.

I don't get it. What is it that made him so down?

He ended up typing. Suppressing a sigh, Jonghyun searched up a web page for the younger.

 

HealthQuestion.com

Treating a hip fracture

Surgery

Most hip fractures require surgery to fix the fracture or even replace all or part of the hip. The type of surgery required differs from the types of fractures induced, age, physical and mental conditions of the patient.

            Slow recovery

Not everyone will completely recover after a hip fracture. Some people may

·         not regain their previous level of mobility (ability to move)

·         no longer be able to live at home

Around 3 in every 10 who have suffered a hip fracture die within a year; around 1/3 of these deaths are directly related to the fracture.

Complications

·         Avascular necrosis - when blood supply in part of the femur is cut off for a period of time, causing the part of the bone to die

·         Injuries to nerves and blood vessels

·         Parts of the hip bone not joining together or joining at an incorrect position

·         Blood clots

·         Mental confusion

·         Pressure sores/ulcers from being in a bed or chair for long periods of time

Alternative to surgery

Conservative treatment involves a long period of bed rest but is as effective and is it may prolong conditions but would be necessary in certain cases such as when the patient is too fragile to be operated on.

 

“What does this mean!?” Minho screamed, fright in his eyes. 3 in 10 people die, 3 in 10 people who suffered from hip fractured died.

 

“Look, listen to me, Minho,” Jonghyun urged, ignoring the stares from the other members. “He’s going to be alright; a bulk of these statistics came from elderly people above 65. The doctor said he has a high chance of full recovery because he is still young.”

 

“Why is it that I wasn’t told about this before?!” the younger shrieked.
 

“If you bothered enough to do a web search, you would have known!” Jonghyun retorted. “And answer me, a yes or a no - that is all I need from you,” Jonghyun tried again, trying once again to get Minho to give his opinion on whether or not to tell Onew.

 

“Yes! No! I don’t know, for heaven’s sake, let me think.” Minho let out a heavy sigh and buried his head in his palms.

 

“W-What’s going on?” Key asked timidly. Jonghyun hesitated; unsure of whether he was breaching the promise he had with Onew.

 

“Show it to him,” Minho muttered beside him. Jonghyun bit his lip in uncertainty before finally lifting his arm to pass Key his phone, but not before deleting the trances of their previous conversation; all the while with the leader glaring at him. Key read the webpage silently, his hands slowly starting to tremble but he eventually returned the phone, biting his lower lip.

 

“I... I knew about this,” Key muttered softly. Jonghyun let out a breath he did not know he was holding and quickly drew his eyes shut. Onew looked at them quizzically and Jonghyun quickly threw him the phone. The leader let out a sigh and shut his eyes.

 

“Jonghyun,” he addressed. “It’s okay, I get it already.”

 

“Sorry,” Jonghyun whimpered. "I tried, but... I don't know what's on his mind; especially since he can't talk." Onew threw the phone back smoothly, a message typed out on the screen and flashed the younger a forced smile.

 

It's ok Jjong, I wouldn't have done better. I'm sure you did what you could. After all, you aren't a psychologist either. Don't worry about it, we'll think of other ways in time to come :) 

 

 


Apr 30, 2013 00:26:49

I'm so sorry for the late late late, definitely overdued, update. I was actually done with this chapter almost a week ago, but I wasn't satisfied with it - as if it was lacking something - so I didn't upload it. But in the end, I didn't edit any of it -_-" Plus, I was having my finals, which finally ended today so hopefully updates will be abit quicker for just a little while  

Why so Serious - Gosh, I'm more a ballad person but I love Evil, it's just awesome; I've been putting on repeat. I already preordered my album but it's only ready for collection on the 6th T_T. I hope I can get Onew's trading card or maybe group would be nice too, or I might go and trade... Which I already did for Dream Girl. Up till now, I only got 1 Onew photocard, 2 Key photocards and 2 Taemin photocards. So looking forward to getting the album. 

1. Evil

2. Nightmare

3. Sleepless Night / Can't Leave

And the rest... I trust you can find them yourself xP. 

 


http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007386.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hip-fracture/DS00185

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/hip-fracture/Pages/introduction.aspx