Things Not To Do In Public

Predicted Accident

They were back in the Hello Talk studio again. There was little they needed to do. Listen to people's problems and give a little suggestion. There was little need to be funny, or to laugh, which made things even easier for the team. The MCs pat the team on their backs sympathetically when they arrived backstage. They each strained a small smile and gave a bow but emitted an aura that they did not have any intention to talk about what was on every other person's mind. The fan crowd was overwhelming. It has been a long time since their last activity and the fans were excited. They prepared extensively from food to fruits to snacks and water - not only for the members, but for the other staff and MCs as well. Not many had the privilege of joining the audience but they persistently waited by the back door where the guards stood.
 

Jonghyun remembered the last time they were here. Taemin and he hardly spoke a word other than to agree or disagree when pressing the button. It was in the midst of the Dream Girl comeback and every member was exhausted. It seemed like only Minho was participating properly. The MCs seemed to sense their restlessness and did their best to draw attention away from the team. Taemin hardly even got any screen time. The duo promised then, that the next time that they came here, they would do better to make up for the previous broadcast. But here, Taemin wasn't with them for their next broadcast.
 

"You didn't keep your promise," Jonghyun muttered softly with a small sigh. Key massaged his shoulders lightly. Jonghyun turned back slightly to give the younger a small smile.


"You okay?" Key asked in a whisper. Jonghyun nodded stiffly. "If there is anything, you know you can talk to me," Key comforted. Jonghyun softened his eyes, touched by the company. He nodded again lightly but did not say another word.

 

They got their makeup done, their hair fixed, and their mics adjusted before they gathered around as a team, huddling together.

 

"We're going to do fine, alright?" Onew said in a low tone. "Smile, we are going into the spotlight now, what happened is not to be shown in the public. Stay professional and try to have some fun. SHINee fighting!" They each nodded and squeezed out as genuine a smile as they could muster as they each muttered 'fighting's in echo in the leader's words.

 

"SHINee, and MCs, get on stage and get seated; we are starting roll in 5!" The backstage was chaotic and hurried. The members dodged the scurrying staff members, who thankfully managed to avoid banging Onew down, as they quickly made their way to the stage.
 

The doctor had put on a cast boot on Onew's cast which had been verified to be hardened. He could now lean on the cast, using both legs and allowing him to move a tinge faster than before. He still used the crutches to keep himself stable but he seemed more confident in moving about on his own now. Jonghyun sighed a little internally, wishing that Onew had never put on that cast boot. Even though it meant that he was way on the route to recovery, Jonghyun know that meant that Onew would start pushing himself to join them for practices. And he, for one, knew that Onew was in no condition to be dancing. But knowing the leader, he would still practice even if he couldn't get on stage. Jonghyun helped Onew sit on the ground, his legs outstretched in front of him. The staff hurried to get another cushion to support his injured leg while Jonghyun settled himself beside the leader and took a careful look around him.
 

Mixed in the audience were dozens of fans. That was a lot considering that there were only 146 audiences allowed in. They held up banners and LED boards that showed their names. Jonghyun smiled lightly, appreciating the fans' constant support. There was still something missing - the 'Taemin' boards. Those that once stuck up high and proud were now gone. He scanned the crowds and there, was one huge banner - SHINee Forever; and beneath it, in small prints were all their names: Onew, Jonghyun, Key, Minho, Taemin. Jonghyun shot a sad smile in that direction and the fans squealed in delight. He waved and the immediately, the cameras started flashing.
 

The staff started to distribute the scripts to the MCs and do the final adjustments to the camera. They tested the lightings to make sure the image came out clearly, touched up the final portions of their makeup to perfection. The director gave a final call before raising his hand to countdown to the camera roll. The members glanced at each other a last second before composing their expressions to face the camera with the bright red light.

 

4 problems - a 25 year old whose parents refused to allow her to date, a guy who has a girlfriend that treats him as the female in the relationship, a mother whose daughter wore skimpy clothes which embarrassed her to no end, and a daughter of a shopaholic. Even though it was not meant to, it angered the members in the pits of their heart listening to these petty complains. It was not as if they were allowed to date, much less have a relationship. They could hardly even meet their parents and here, people are complaining about their own children and parents. They would have disagreed to everything if they could just find a valid reason to, instead they just smile and nodded curtly as they agreed to what was being said. If only their problem had been so tiny. If only it were only dating problems. They felt as if they were the ones who needed to talk things out the most of all the other contestants.


"That... went well...?" Jonghyun commented in an unsure tone after the 'cut' had been called. The other members nodded slightly.

 

"Alright, everyone! Take a break. We'll start again in 20minutes!" The director instructed. Jonghyun stretched exaggeratingly, letting out a wide yawn.
 

"I'll go get the food," he offered. He glanced at Key for a second, let out a second lazy yawn before letting out a small pout. "Help me, Kibum?"
 

Key gave a small chuckle but nodded as he stood up, stretching as well. They walked off stage and into the backstage, a small crowd behind them cheering "JongKey!"

 

"You hear that?" Jonghyun smirked. Key hit him on the arm playfully.

 

"Don't tell me you did that on purpose," Key replied in disbelief. Jonghyun stuck out his tongue playfully.

 

"As if!" he mocked. "I told you I would tell you about Jinki hyung, didn't I?" Key's playful mood turned serious immediately.

 

"Why does he blame himself?" Key asked timidly, almost as if he did not want to hear the answer. Jonghyun let out a loud sigh.

 

"He said..." Jonghyun paused for a long while, as if the words needed to be squeezed out literally. "He said that if he wasn't there, Taemin would have saved himself. If he were awake, Taemin would have saved himself. If Taemin had saved himself, we wouldn't be devastated like we are now. If he had put on his seatbelt before sleeping, none of what is happening now, would be happening," Jonghyun explained in a small whisper.

 

Key's eyes flared up in anger. He stopped his footsteps which were headed for the room where the food was kept. He spun around and ran back to the stage again with Jonghyun calling him frantically from behind. When Jonghyun finally caught up to Key on stage, it was a terrifying sight. The fans were all looking completely horrified, the MCs and staff members scurrying to their feet towards where Key was - where Key was grabbing hold of Onew's collar in front of everyone. Jonghyun pushed pass everyone in the way and made it to Key where already many people were trying to calm him down.
 

"Ke-" Jonghyun called out

 

"You idiot," Key sobbed. "You mega giant idiot," he scolded Onew. Onew's worried expression deepened as he watched his dongseang's tears fall onto him.
 

"If anything happened to you, I would have been just as upset. Taemin saved you because he loved you. I would have saved you because I love you too. I don't want anything to happen to any one of you. You hear me? Lee Jinki! Any of you! If Taemin did save himself; and if you were caught in his situation, I would give the same reaction that I have for Taemin. Taemin would be blaming himself for not helping you. Don't you see? It's not your fault hyung," Key's voice was messed up, but he got his message through. Even the staff who tried to hold him back stopped trying.
 

"Please don't do this to yourself," Key pleaded as he pounced onto Onew, hugging the elder tightly. "There's no need for Taemin to forgive you. There is nothing to forgive, you did nothing wrong. Taemin chose to save you; he had a choice and he picked well. Even though he is injured now, I'm proud of him. We raised him well, hyung. You raised him well..." Onew raised his good hand up shakily to wrap around Key's shaking back. He pat his dongseang's back softly for a while before finally just hugging the other in a tight bear hug and they both sobbed in each other's arms.

 

"Thank you, Kibum..." he choked out. “Thank you." Jonghyun couldn't resist the sight and joined in the hug, pulling both of them into his arms.

 

"We'll get through this together," he said in a wavering voice. Minho's long arms wrapped around them last, pulling them in a great group hug.

 

"Everything will get better. As a team, nothing can bring us down. We're not called SHINee for nothing," Minho said confidently.

 

"Thank you guys, all of you. I love you, every single one of you. I'm so sorry for letting you all down time and again, but thank you for sticking by, for giving me chances," Onew whimpered softly in the centre of the hugs.

 

"Don't be silly, you have never let us down and we love you too," Key answered, spreading a small but genuine smile across everyone's lips.

 

A small applause started behind them and the little moment broke apart. The small applause grew quickly and as they took a look around, they realized that not only their fans, but the surrounding staff and other general audiences were giving them applauses. The fans and some of the staff were wiping away tears, the other MCs giving them sad smiles. Onew glanced at the other members who looked on in awe at the public who supported them so wholeheartedly. Onew let out a chuckle, which soon blew up into genuine fits of laughter. 

 

"It's not as if we are at a prize ceremony; why is everyone clapping?" Onew wiped away the tears from the edges of his eyes. The members chuckled at his comment.

 

Jonghyun switched on his microphone and addressed the crowd. "SHINee World, saranghae!" The fan base erupted in cheers, as if it were really their award ceremony. 

 

"SHINee - Jjong, Kibum, Minho, Taemin - saranghae!" Onew shouted over his mic, his eyes in slits from his outburst. "Manager-hyung, saranghamnida!" 

 

"Jinki too, saranghae!" Key replied playfully. The team locked gazes for a second before bursting out in hearty laughter. It has been a long time since they laughed like little kids over childish things. So, so long. 

 


Mar 29, 2013 22:12:45

It's good friday! Yay! And here I am doing project works... Oh well, it's not as bad as exams so I'm fine. Well, Since I had some questions on this, I'll clarify that this story has no pairings - no clear ones at least. You'll probably find some hints of it here and there *hint hint; that little jongkey there - but i don't mind minkey too xP* , but its more ot5centric

Okkies, that's all! Shower me with comments! :D