Eliminating the Cause

Predicted Accident

 

"W-wait, seonsaeng-nim. T-this is... H-he can't!" Jonghyun cried out with widened eyes.

"Ten minutes is over, from the top again." Onew's face paled. This was impossible. How could he even manage to move quickly enough in a dance routine? But the trainer just moved to the front of the room and towards the stereo. Left with no alternatives, he pulled himself forward with the help of his crutches towards the other members.

"Wait, hyung, just stay here, okay? Once you go there, there is no way but to give in to his demands. Please hyung, let me try and talk to him," Jonghyun had panic in his eyes. Onew felt his heart squeeze.

"I'm fine, Jjong. Don't worry too much about me. I just need to get into position; I don't even need to do the dance movements. It's a good run through for me as well," Onew forced out a tight smile, limping forwards again.

"Hyung, it's exhausting, and you know that! What are you trying to do to yourself?" Jonghyun cried out with worry.

"Jjong, really, you don't have to worry too much. I trust seonsaeng-nim. He does everything with a purpose. I'm sure he ordered this for a reason as well," Onew assured.

"At your expense," Jonghyun corrected. "It's hurting you enough just at this pace. How do you even think you can go through the dance routine? Even getting into position would be difficult," Jonghyun almost whined with desperation. Onew just smiled gently at him.

"We'll see as it goes; I trust seonsaeng-nim. He's been with us for years; he knows what he's doing." Jonghyun drew his eyes shut with frustration written all over his face. He let out an exasperated sigh and muttered to himself.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid. Useless, you're useless. Come on, think of something already!!"

"Jonghyun, are you joining us?" Jonghyun pulled his eyes open to see that Onew had already joined the others, standing in their rightful positions. He cursed under his breath and jogged over quickly. He shot Onew a worried look and sent a glare over to the trainer. The trainer leaned over and whispered into Chun-Bin's ear.

"If at any point, you see that Onew, or any other member looks like he is going to faint, just run up and catch them. Especially Onew, don't let him hit the ground." Chun-bin responded with a confused expression.

"Seonsaeng-nim, if you are worried about him, why are you doing this?" he whispered back.

"Just watch; you'll understand that this is all for the better. If I don’t do this, who knows how much longer he and the other member is going to torture themselves for. Onew is a responsible person, he wouldn't do this without a reason. I'm here to find out the reason and eliminate the cause," the trainer explained. "Tell me immediately once you have any idea who exactly is the cause of this." Chun-bin was still confused but nodded his head all the same. The trainer set up the camcorder and hit the record button before playing the music.

While the others danced, Onew stood still and only moved to his rightful positions when they changed. Still, just that was difficult. There were times when the choreography required them to move backwards. He had to be extremely careful not to bang into anyone else, or not to slip because he wouldn't be able to pull himself up quickly enough. There were times when the choreography required them to move sideways as well, and that was just as impossible. He required the extra effort of turning his entire body to face the side before he could move there. That, accompanied with the fast pace of the dance, the constant need to be changing their places, the risk of colliding with the other members, the feeling of exhaustion from the sleepless night, and the extreme sharp pain whenever he moved even by the slightest inch, left him panting and grimacing even before half the song was over.

"Jonghyun, Key, focus on your own movements, stop looking at Onew. Minho, you did it again. Turn to your right, not your left," Onew almost groaned when the music pulled to a stop. Jonghyun wrapped his arm around Onew's waist.

"Hyung, kwanchana?" Onew just nodded his head lightly, a few droplets of perspiration dripping down his hair.

"Anything?" the trainer whispered to Chun-bin again. Chun-bin was starting to get a tiny idea of what the trainer meant.

"It... isn't Jonghyun sunbae," he answered hesitantly, still not very confident of his answer. But the trainer gave an approving smile.

"Why do you say so?"

"B-because... Jonghyun sunbae is taking care of Onew sunbae. Key sunbae and Minho sunbae looks worried but it's almost as if they are scared to approach him," Chun-bin explained.

"Good observational skills. You're right. Either Minho or Key is the culprit; that would be a reasonable explanation as to why they are not approaching him since they are the cause of it. But it is just one of the two. I don't know why the other is acting that way, but I am sure it is only one; and I have figured that out as well. Look closely and you will figure it out as well," the trainer encouraged.

"Positions!" he announced over the room. Jonghyun helped Onew to his spot before getting back to his own place. "Focus on your own parts," the trainer reminded before pushing the play button. Chun-bin flicked his eyes between Minho and Key; keeping Onew in his line of vision in case Onew collapsed.

"Key, what's wrong with you? You messed up both your footwork and your handwork. Look at your surroundings!" the trainer reprimanded. Key glanced around and realized that he was doing the movements for the wrong verse. The other members were already in the positions for the other verse. The heavy panting he incurred from the rigorous dancing was enough to hurt his sore ribs; not to mention the difficult choreography the dance had. All that bending and twisting; the turning and leaning to the side. No, none of them helped with his aching chest. But he promised the leader to do his activities properly. He made more mistakes in a day than he would probably make in a month on normal circumstances. It was utterly distracting have a sharp pain jolt up his body whenever he pulled off a move. He caught sight of Onew looking at him worriedly and felt his breath hitch. The older was so pale, his breathless gasps leaving his body with the heaving of his chest. The perspiration was streaming down, glistening his pale skin, leaving his shirt soaked through.

"You'd better start waking up, Key," the trainer boomed. Key gulped and nodded solemnly. They returned to their original positions and the music started again.

"You've got it now?" the trainer whispered to Chun-bin over the music. The younger nodded tightly.

"It's Key sunbae," Chun-bin whispered in disbelief.

"Good job. Now, we just have to make Key feel guilty enough to stop whatever he is doing that makes Onew act this way. You just look out for both of them and make sure they don't collapse. Don't focus on learning the dance for now, resolving this is far more important. You can still have time to learn the dance later," the trainer instructed in a low tone. By the 5th round abrupt stopping of music and meticulous corrections, Onew was barely even standing. Jonghyun broke out of the dance sequence in the middle of the song to catch the shaking figure who gasped and coughed relentlessly even before Chun-bin could do anything. Onew squeezed his eyes shut tightly and tried to make the world stop spinning, but to no avail. His pain-filled tears merged with the perspiration and dripped off his chin.

"Seonsaeng-nim, can we please stop this? Even if you can, I can't watch this any longer," Jonghyun pleaded almost in tears.

"I don't know; what about you? Can you still watch this any longer, Key-goon?" the trainer asked with a grim expression. He left out a heavy sigh as he stopped the music and stepped forth and took Jonghyun’s position to hold the trembling leader. “Sorry, just bear with it a little longer,” he whispered into Onew’s ear, loud enough only for latter to hear.

“I-I...” Key’s eyes widened and finally realized that the entire activity was played out because of him. He didn’t know what to feel - anger, since they ganged up on him to guilt-trip him? Or the guilt that already took roots in him as he watched Onew sob from agony?

“Kim Kibum! Please!” Jonghyun shouted now, veins popping up over his sweat-drenched forehead and fingers curled up into fists as they shook. Key hiccuped, the tears he tried to hold back pooled over. Jonghyun never shouted at him like this before; especially not with his full name. “When will you learn that hyung is the one at the raw end of your stupid actions?! It may be Minho’s fault for disallowing him from visiting Taemin, but the root cause was you! You know that already, don’t you?!” Jonghyun shrieked.

Key choked on his tears. No, he had not meant for any of this to happen. Minho was the one who stopped hyung from visiting Taemin; seonsaeng-nim was the one who forced hyung to join the dance. It was not him who did all that to Onew.

“Stop being so selfish, Kim Kibum. You’re hurting, aren’t you? Don’t even try and lie because I can see you in pain. Obviously, seonsaeng-nim can see that as well! Well, you know what? Your pain is nothing compared to hyung’s! No, I don’t know how it feels; but use your damned common sense! He has the same broken ribs that are hurting you so much; he sprained his hand and yet he has to drag himself around on crutches, putting his entire weight on his already injured wrist; and then top it all off with a nicely broken leg. No, it’s not a simple fracture if I need to remind you, it broke in multiple parts! Crushed! Just hearing it is painful enough; can you just put yourself in his shoes for a minute?” Jonghyun screamed furiously with tears streaming down his flushed cheeks. Onew whimpered a weak protest against the trainer’s chest.

“Forget it! Minho, get me Onew’s painkillers,” the trainer barked, his anxiety increasing by the second as he felt the cold and clammy skin of the man he held and watched as Onew tried desperately to regain some focus by furiously blinking his eyes and shaking his head - the repeated motion could only have meant that the previous attempts had failed. Minho scrambled to where their bags were placed and poured out the contents of Onew’s bag, leaving all sorts of things sprawled across the floor He spread each item out roughly with his hands and finally picked up the small container of pills. He grabbed a bottle of water mid-run back, knocking all the neighbouring bottles down.

“Here,” Minho pulled the container open and poured out the contents, handing one pill to the trainer. The trainer brought it up to Onew’s trembling lips but to his surprise, the other screwed them shut.

“Onew, open up!” the trainer scolded. Onew weakly shook his head, clenching his teeth tighter together.

“Dammit,” Jonghyun cursed. He pulled Key by the collar in a sudden movement, bringing them nose to nose. “You know what he wants. You’re the only one who can stop this. Please, Kibum, I can’t watch this any longer. Watching Taemin like this is bad enough, I don’t want anyone else to be in pain.”

Hearing Taemin’s name must have struck a sore spot because Key choked on the words and sobbed harder.

“Min-Minho...” Key muttered.

“What?” Jonghyun asked.

“I-I didn’t bring my pills... I...If I can borrow Minho’s... I-I’ll take them,” Key wiped at his unending tears as he choked out the words he promised he would not say.


 

Everyone hates Mr Trainer. Mr Trainer will be sad xP. Haha, he wasn't that MUAHAHAHA evil after all was he? I think some, if not most, of you will still hate him though. Mr Trainer will cry to his sleep because of all the hate T_T .