Kris

Superiority Complex

 

“Dad?”

I step into the principal’s office, a look of confusion on my face. He never wants to talk to me. Never. Why now?

“Kris.”

There’s stony silence in the room, and I can’t help but hold my breath. I’ve done something wrong, I must have. Dad only ever talks to me when something’s wrong.

I sit down gingerly in the chair before me, looking across the desk. My father sits on his side, the lamp curled over and illuminating the paperwork before him. Wads and wads of paperwork.

He heaves a sigh, and I give him a searching look. He looks up from his paperwork at me, beginning to file it away nonchalantly as his eyes meet mine.

“It’s time we had a talk, son,” he says quietly.

“Huang Zitao made me realise a few things. I know I have never been the best father-”

“Well that’s the understatement of the century!” I hiss back, getting out of my seat. I make for the door, but my father jumps up as well, his hand enclosing around mine.

“Kris, sit down.”

“No!”

“Please…?”

I wince. He sounds completely broken, his voice cracking. I sigh, walking back to my chair. Instead of walking back around to his usual seat, dad sits on the desk before me, kicking off his shoes.

“I’m sorry Kris, I realise now how horrible it’s been for you. Please, just hear me out…”

My eyebrows crease.

“OK.”

“I have to admit, it’s been hard, with your mum moving away from me. We’re countries apart now, and when I married her I hoped we would be a family forever… I guess that didn’t happen,” he laughs sarcastically.

“I’ve been a bad father. I put my work before you, and I’m sorry for that, Kris. You have to understand it’s terribly difficult acting as a mother and father at the same time, and having a job on top of that to support us. I realise I was never there enough for you, and all I can do is ask for your forgiveness.”

I look down, studying the floor. The carpet is worn, and I can imagine Tao sitting right here in this chair.

I was too late.

I shake my head, letting the tears fall. My father notices this, and he pulls a plain white handkerchief out of his pocket, holding it out for me.

“I want you to go to Tao, Kris.”

I look up from the floor in surprise.

“What?”

“That boy has a level head, and he was brave enough to tell me how much of a I really am. I don’t want you to feel like a failure because of me, Kris. I don’t want you to repeat the mistakes I made.”

“What?”

My father sighs and jumps off the table. He lies on the floor, on his back, hands enlaced over his chest. He motions for me to join him, and I do.

“It was my fault your mother left. She stopped loving me because I put too much time in my work life, and I left her nothing but a small boy to look after,” he says.

“You.”

I turn to face him, and he gives me a weak smile, holding out his hand.

Against my own expectations, I take it.

“I want you to go after Tao. I want you to go after Tao because you love him. Me…” he pauses, eyes springing tears.

“I never went after your mother, and that’s my biggest regret in life. I still love her, Kris. I always will. But I was too much of a self-centered prat to figure it out back then.”

He gives my hand a squeeze.

“I arranged a plane flight, and you’re going to do your exams over there with Tao. Maybe you two can study together? Whatever you do, whatever choices you make, son, I will respect and I will always love you. No matter what.”

“Are you serious?” I breathe.

“I am. Go to him. Go ask him out, you have my blessing.”

The next thing I do surprises me. I get up off the floor, drag my father up with me, and I pull him into a hug. I haven’t hugged him since I was five. After this, I leave the room, off to get packed.

“Kris?”

Luhan stands in the hallway, with the whole group behind him. I give him a nod, and he hands me a box of tissues. Chen plants himself on the end of my bed and gives me a questioning glance.

“So…?” he drawls.

“Me, I… I think I made up with my dad.” I whisper.

Luhan claps his hands together happily, running over to give me a hug. I get the thumbs up from Chen and Chanyeol, and everyone else gives me warm smiles.

“Why are you packing?” Baekhyun asks, pointing. I give him a grin.

“I’m going after Tao. Dad finally acknowledged me, and it’s because of something Tao said. I need him in my life.” I explain.

Luhan pulls me into another bone-crushing hug, and Kai pats me on the back. Well, more like slaps me in excitement. But I don’t seem to mind.

“So I guess this is goodbye?” Lay asks sadly. I give him a nod.

“I will be back, though. I promise.”

Despite all I’ve done to ruin Tao and Lay’s relationship, he still treats me like a friend. I realise that the people I’ve surrounded myself with are the best in the world.

“Well Kris, say hello to Tao for everyone OK?” Sehun tells me.

“Wish him and his family all the best. It’s hard what he’s going through.”

I nod.

“I will, you can count on that.”







I arrive in Guangzhou Airport several hours later, completely tired and overwhelmed from the flight. I quickly rush out through customs with my bags, hail a taxi, and read off the address my father has given me.

The hospital’s address.

I spend the car ride in silence, and once I’m there, I hand the fare to the driver and leave, dragging my small suitcase along after me.

I walk straight through the front doors of the hospital, heading directly to the front reception desk. I read off a name, and I’m pointed in the right direction.

I don’t expect to find him here, but I am still surprised to see a mostly empty room with a man strapped to a monitor. He is eating some disgusting looking hospital food that reminds me of the food served at the cafeteria at school.

“Who are you?” he mumbles.

“My name’s Kris Wu. I’m the son of the principal of Tao’s school in Korea,” I introduce myself with a bow.

“It’s nice to meet you, sir.”

The man motions for me to take a chair beside him. I watch him eat, flicking my eyes between his tray of food and the television suspended from the roof overhead.

“It’s nice to see a new face to keep me company. Tell me, are you a friend of Tao’s?” he asks.

I give him a small nod.

“I suppose you could say we’re friends.”

His father gives me a questioning glance. He seems to be holding the conversation well, and I believe he might just be as fit as Tao, how he holds himself proudly. He’ll definitely be alright.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Sir… I’d… I’d like to ask for your blessing, if that’s alright.”

The man gives me a strange look.

“I’m in love with your son. I think he feels the same way about me, and I want you to tell me it’s alright if we go out.”

The man sighs, giving me a small smile.

“I don’t fully agree with your uality,” he begins, “but, because of recent happenings and my near death experience, I’ve come to terms with the fact life is fleeting and you have to live in the moment.”

I give him a nod, awaiting expectantly.

“If you can make my son happy, please. Go with him, and be with him.”

I give a sigh of relief. I didn’t even realise I was holding my breath.

“Go. Here’s my home address, he should be there,” the man holds out a small slip of paper.

“Get some rest. I hope you’ll be able to visit me again.”

“Definitely,” I tell him with a grin.

“Thank you.”

“No, thank you,” he responds, shutting his eyes.

“I need my rest now, and it looks like you do too. You flew here today right? You still have your suitcase.”

I nod.

“Go, Kris. Make Tao happy.”

 

 

 


So this fanfic is drawing to a close! 2 more chapters to go, but I'll try and drag them out and make them longer. Don't you love when things go all fluffy?! x3

Thank you once again to everyone who's subscribed, commented, up-voted, you name it! I can't believe there are so many of you that actually want to read this! I mean, considering it's not even that amazing, and all the emotional trauma I've put everyone through with the cliffhangers and plot twists! /shot

Thank you!! I really appreciate every single one of you~ :)