NOTE TO SELF: Maths lessons should be taught by Xiumin

Superiority Complex

 

“I think it’s working, Xiu,” I whisper one day as we barge down the corridor, hand in hand.

We’re on our way to maths class, and surprisingly I’ve been getting better at the subject through Xiumin.

He’s like a maths genius, and he explains things better than TOP ever could with his stupid colour coordination.

“I think so too…”

Xiumin gives me a peck on the cheek as we spot Chen down the hallway, and I get a sad look from Kris. Even though this relationship isn’t real, it’s starting to feel real.

I’m starting to feel like I’m cheating on Kris, even though we’ve never actually been together in the first place. How does that even work?



“Remember class, trigonometry will definitely be in your finals, and that’s not very far away now, so study hard!” TOP announces to the room enthusiastically.

“Zitao, you’ve been improving so much these past few days. I think you can answer this next one.”

I nod, flicking my eyes to the whiteboard. Find the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle, simple enough. I figure it out within seconds.

“The hypotenuse must be 6 centimetres,” I respond, and TOP nods his head in agreement.

“Brilliant Zitao,” TOP says happily.

“Next, Kris,” he says, rubbing out the numbers from around the triangle’s borders.

“If we swap this around, and we’ve already been given the hypotenuse, we can use the hypotenuse and one of the smaller sides to find the length of this side here,” TOP says, pointing to the board.

“What?” Kris asks, mouth hanging open.

I turn around and giggle under my breath.

He looks too cute with that thinking face on. Chen gives me a look to the side, and scowls, taking Kris’ hand and giving it a squeeze under the desk.

I growl and do the same with Xiumin, and Chen clenches Kris’ hand harder, until Kris squeaks the answer.

I turn back around and stare at the whiteboard as TOP goes through another few example questions.

I don’t like this at all.

Chen smirks at this, and when the lesson is over, he is quick to rush over to my desk, pushing my books off the top of it ‘accidentally’. Kris gives me a sad look as he walks past, surprisingly bending down to retrieve them for me.

But Xiumin is quicker.

He pushes Kris out of the way, and picks a bunch of books up off the ground.

“Here, babe,” he says, emphasising his words. He hands me a textbook and pulls my chair out from behind me, sitting himself in my lap.

When he wraps his arms around me, and nuzzles into my chest, I throw a smirk towards Chen. Chen growls and grabs a hold of Kris’ shoulders, pulling him towards him.

When Chen smashes his lips on Kris’ lips, I think I’m about to explode.

“Chen, what?” Kris splutters, pushing the smaller teen off him.

“But I love you, babe,” Chen drawls, wrapping his arms around Kris. By now, Xiumin is rolling all over the top of me to try and piss Chen off, and I’m left loudly with the unnecessary friction.

“Xiu, not here!” I growl.

Xiumin takes a hint and jumps off of me, taking my books in one hand, my hand in the other. We turn to leave, but first he whispers seductively into Chen’s ear.

“I know how to make my boyfriend feel good. Do you?”

Chen’s eyes widen, and I can see that all he wants to do is pounce on the small, round-faced teen. I chuck a glance Kris’ way.

He’s just staring at me with wide eyes. He looks hurt.

I feel guilty.

I feel so guilty that I’m playing with his feelings like this.

But it’s for Xiumin, right? And Chen. Chen must like Xiumin to be acting like that.

But still, Kris looks hurt.

“Come on, Xiubuns,” I say, dragging him out the door.

“Let’s continue this conversation in the dorm room.”

I give Xiumin’s hand a squeeze as we wait by the outside of the room behind a row of lockers, overhearing Kris and Chen’s conversation.

“No one calls Xiumin Xiubuns but me!” Chen screeches angrily as he stomps off down the corridor.

“It’s not fair!”

Kris gives Chen a sympathetic look.

“It’s OK, Chen. You’ll be able to be with Xiumin eventually.”

I’m thoroughly confused by the statement. Why would Kris be happy his boyfriend was going after someone else, unless…?

“I’ll see you round, Tao,” Xiumin whispers to me happily.

“Sure,” I respond.

Xiumin gives me a hug and returns my books, shuffling down the corridor to the library. I think I should go and study with him, but I don’t really feel like studying.

Kris confuses me; I never know what he’s thinking.

What does he think of me?

There must be someone Kris likes, I realise. He’s doing exactly what I’m doing with Xiumin, but he’s doing it with Chen.

I scowl.

Who could that person be? Why is Kris so difficult to read?



“I don’t know what to do anymore,” I complain, throwing my books on my bed.

Chanyeol quirks an eyebrow, running through his Chemistry notes once again, attempting to explain them to Baekhyun, who sits there painting his nails clear.

It is clear Baekhyun’s not paying any attention at all, but he nods his head, and I know he likes the sound of Chanyeol’s obscenely deep voice.

“Tao, you’re doing a good thing for Xiumin,” Baekhyun says, tilting his head to the side, inspecting his ring finger with a smile.

“You see how Chen looks at Xiumin, and I know Chen definitely likes him back. It’s only a matter of time before something happens.”

I nod, flopping myself down on the bed.

“Oh, Tao. Baekhyun and I would like some private time tonight… we asked Suho and Lay if you could sleep over,” Chanyeol says.

I growl, picking up my books and a pile of clothes. As much as this annoys me, I’d rather not be here for their ‘private time’.

“Don’t worry about Suho and Lay,” I tell Chanyeol loudly.

“I’ve got somewhere else to stay in mind.”

Baekhyun looks at me with wide eyes.

“You mean…? You can’t be serious!” He exclaims.

“That’s right,” I respond with a smirk.

“I’ll be staying with Xiumin and Chen.”