Daejun Prep

Superiority Complex

 

Boarding schools are designed to keep students in and keep parents out, whilst simultaneously screwing over a student's social life in the process.
 
Boarding schools for boys are the worst. Well, at least for me.
 
I'm Huang Zitao, but my name's too hard to pronounce for most so I just go by Tao. Short, concise, forgettable.
 
I'm a new student at the prestigious Daejun Prep, and I intend to live out my school life as scathe-free as I possibly can.
 
Which is a hard feat when the world is against you.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Tao, hurry up!"
 
I straighten my tie and adjust my blazer, before slinging my bag over my shoulder and shutting the dorm room door behind me as I follow my roommate out.
 
Park Chanyeol is way too obsessed with science. In fact, all my 'friends' are ridiculous nerds. And what does that make me?
 
A social reject.
 
I remember how my life spiralled downhill so quickly, beginning on my first day here.
 
My mother drops me off at the front gate, waving me a goodbye as she plants her foot on the accelerator, leaving me and my suitcase far behind.
 
I didn't even want to come here.
 
The sandstone walls were ridiculously high, and they reminded me of a lunatic asylum.
 
Mother was so good with her timing, that she just happened to drop me off at the end of the day, leaving with little more than a 'I'll see you at Christmas'.
 
Christmas is eight months away.
 
When everyone was leaving their classes.
 
When everyone was out and ready to scrutinise the new kid.
 
I sign in at the reception desk that took me almost half an hour to find. 
 
I'm a quiet person, and walking up to anyone was something I wasn't quite comfortable with.
 
I was kind of surprised when I pushed open the door of the reception area after collecting my timetable and dorm room key to run straight into a boy with a bowl cut that seemed freakishly intent on making me his friend.
 
"I'm Oh Sehun. The one you ran into and is now curled on the ground is Park Chanyeol."
 
I look down.
 
Curly, messy hair and a mess of long limbs.
 
"Oh, and the guy derping in the corner is Do Kyungsoo."
 
"Hey!" said boy shrieks.
 
They all scrutinise my appearance, from my panda-looking eyes to my chunky biceps. I have a skinny but no one pays that much attention to me unless I'm in tight leather pants.
 
And I only wore those when I went through my emo phase three years ago.
 
"You look like one of us."
 
I don't know whether or not this is a compliment.
 
Sehun snatches the timetable off me and lets out a nerdy laugh.
 
"You share most of our classes," he notes, handing it over to Chanyeol. 
 
"But we'll have to do something about your room, you can't be in that room."
 
He speaks like its a sin.
 
"What?"
 
"You being in that room, it's suicide."
 
"Why?"
 
"Kris."
 
It's as if only one word is needed to explain the fragile structure of this micro-society.
 
I think I will treat this school as a social experiment. If anything, years of wushu has taught me how to contemplate.
 
Sehun tries to make small talk as Chanyeol and Kyungsoo follow along behind him like lost puppies.
 
Soon, he stops at a door and knocks, taking a step back and a deep breath. There's a shuffle on the other side, and a loud groan as the door is opened.
 
"Oh, it's you retards. And who's this?" His eyes are fierce.
 
Tall.
 
Blonde.
 
Attractive.
 
Those pouty lips and eyebrows that seemed to turn inwards like a yellow angry bird.
 
Gorgeous; drop dead gorgeous.
 
"Oh, are you supposed to be my new roommate? Hah. Hey Luhan, you can move your stuff out of Chanyeol's room and into mine. I'm sure the new kid won't mind."
 
"I do have a name." I retort. Kris looks like he's fuming.
 
I scowl as a really girly looking guy appears in the doorway.
 
"I thought this school wasn't co-ed?" I think aloud.
 
Sehun gasps. He takes my arm and pulls me aside with a violent tug.
 
"Rule number one, no one talks back to Kris or his crew. Rule number two, never call Luhan a girl; you'll make me look bad!"
 
I smirk.
 
"Oh, so you like Luhan?" I point out bluntly.
 
Kyungsoo gasps and Kris raises an eyebrow. Before any further conversation can pass, Chanyeol cuts in.
 
"Um, my friend here can totally room with me, right?" Chanyeol nudges me harshly.
 
"Whatever."
 
Luhan runs down the hallway, only seconds later dragging behind him a neatly packed suitcase.
 
This has been premeditated.
 
After Luhan drags his suitcase in, he slams the door shut behind him, leaving Kris leaning against the wall before me.
 
"Well, that went well." Kyungsoo notes.
 
"Hmm..." Chanyeol hums.
 
Kris just stands there staring at me.
 
"What, someone's all high and mighty? I'll knock him off his pedestal." I grumble under my breath, squinting my eyes so that the bags are more prominent and I look really fierce.
 
Kris looks at me with interest in his eyes.
 
"What? But you're..." Sehun begins.
 
"Never judge a book by its cover." I cut him off.
 
I grab my suitcase and drag it down the hall, following where Chanyeol ran off to. Kris can win round one, but he's a battleship I'm going to sink.
 
"Wait, what's your name?" A deep voice yells down the hall.
 
"Huang Zitao. Tao. And don't you forget it."
 
I notice the blonde's lips tug upwards into a smirk.
 
Two can play at that game.