Pen Spirit pt .1

The One-Eyed Doll

Just like that , the last story of the night was finished , a thick blanket of silence settled down in the room and all of a sudden the temperature seemed to drop as if some unknown wind had just gotten trapped in the room . Perhaps it wasn't wind , it was only the chills that had settled in everyone's hearts .

 

" Yah , say something ." Minzy was the first one to break the uncomfortable silence , "Just a few stories and you guys are this scared , and Key's story doesn't count. The ending wasn't death but insanity . This isn't fair,make her tell another one ,. If it comes to it , just let him tell stories until the morning. Nobody sleeps until a scary one comes up ."

 

 

" Death was involved didn't happen to the main character ." Key shot Minzy a glare as he countered her argument.

 

"Who did Eunjung love , Hyomin? Jangwoo ? yah key , you're really something for even dragging in gay stuff ." Taemin smiled at him warmly  , feeling amused .

 

" The story wasn't that good , something was lacking. " said Minzy .

"well , it was still pretty terrifying." Victoria placed her hands on her heart and took a deep breath.

"Woah , are you even more timid than Key ? "Top shook his head as he looked at Victoria .

 

"The story didn't scare me , I was thinking about how frail one's life is ." Voctoria took a small breath again before continuing ," I wonder what a person thinks before death ? How do they feel knowing they will die ? "

 

"If you really want to know , the best thing to do will be trying it out yourself ." Taemin smiled at her and from under the light , his eyes glinted dangerously .

 

CL took out her phone to check the time , "Time pasted by pretty fast , almost 12 already. Let's get ready to sleep."

 

"I'm not sleeping right after telling horror stories , lets chat a bit before we sleep . Midnight chat , how does that sound. and we get to sleep in tomorrow so it's fine ."Top looked around the room to see how everyone felt about his idea.

 

" Let's play a game " Minzy suggested .

" It needs to be something exciting ." Top pointed out .

"Have you  guys ever called for the pen spirit? " Taemin questioned .

" I head about it but never played it. "CL's interest peaked . " How about you Taemin , have you played it before? "

 

Taemin nodded his .

 

"Okay , we are playing this ." Minzy stood up to stretch , excitement evident in her voice .

" Minzy , you can only say  "request " Pen spirit , use only the word "request" , otherwise the pen spirit won't come." Top said knowingly .

 

Minzy lifted her head up suddenly , " Cl , how much longer till 12 ? "

Cl looked at her phone again ,"  10 more minutes ."

"We can still make it ." Taemin said hurriedly , " Clean the table up , get a piece of paper and a pen ."

 

"We're really doing this?" Key looked at Taemin completely horrified .

 

" Key , what is there to be scared of ? We're are all here with you . When top mentioned midnight chat I remembered that we still have a few candles ." Minzy stood up to dig up the candles from a drawer on the bookshelf . Taemin had brought them when they had a black out few months back . She proceeded to place a candle on each of the four corners.

 

Once lit up , 4 unstoppable candles shone continuously allowing the shadows on the walls to dance freely .

 

" I have one more suggestion." Taemin said suddenly ," If we wear these masks , there will be a mysterious feeling when we play the game ."

" Lee Taemin has a lot of ideas tonight . " Top smiled before he ruffled Taemin's hair playfully ," Okay , these masks won't go to waste . I also hav a suggestion , remember those huge pieces of white cloth we got last time for the performance ? We should wrap them around our bodies from head to toe and leave only the face out.  When we put on the masks after turning the lights off , we can't use our real voices. That way no one can recognize anyone else."

 

" Good idea, I'll teach you guys the chant first ." Lee Taemin wrote some numbers on the bottom and letters on the center of the white paper. On one side , he wrote a "Yes " , on the other side , the word "No" , and then some names on the very top of the paper.

 

With a weird voice he started , " Pen spirit , Pen spirit ,quickly come out of the night , pass through the barrier of darkness , from the world of spirits ! Pen spirit , Pen spirit , quickly rise from the coldness of the ground , through the barrier of age and past , and come to us! "

 

Each person memorized the chant after reciting it a few times , and then dug out the white cloths from the closet and wrapped them around their bodies before standing in a circle around the table .

 

Taemin said ," This game is originally designed for 2 players , but a few people can play together as well . Later on , all of us have to close our eyes and randomly get a mask from the table before continuously changing our positions around the table until no one can tell who's who . I will then randomly pick one of you to tangle our ten fingers together. we can slip the pen by slipping it between the thumbs ."

 

" The end on the pen will touch the paper . Everyone else will then carefully place their hands on top of my hand and we'll start chanting together. Remember we MUST use our fake voices. We'll repeat the chant 3 times ."

 

" When Pen spirit arrive , it will draw a circle on the paper . After that , we can finally start asking questions anonymously . When we don't want to ask anymore , we will request for the spirit to go away . The chant for sending it away is , Pen spirit , Pen spirit , go back to eternity , disappear through darkness."

 

" oh , and one more thing you must be careful about , before the pen spirit leaves ,you must never ever let the pen fall , if it does the pen spirit will never leave us ."

 

"What will happen then? " Key asked Taemin cautiously .

" Disastrous misfortunes will fall upon those who play the game ." Taemin looked intently at the five people standing around the table , "So , do you guys have the guts to ask for the pen spirit ? "

 

" What kind of misfortunes ?" Key asked.

 

" Misfortunes that no one can ever imagine! " Taemin laughed excitedly ," Perhaps Death! "

 

" Interesting, Let's try this ." Adrenaline rushed through Minzy .

 

" Lets not try this kind of horrifying thing! " you can practically hear the shivers in his voice. His chest was beating really harshly against him as if foreshadowing something bad. An extremely uncomfortable feeling has settled down on his heart.

 

"If you are scared then don't join us , but as long as you are inside the room you will be included in the curse . Unless you get out right now and wait until we are finished before coming back." Taemin stared at key seriously .

 

Key looked carefully out the dorm's door ,its midnight already ,even the slightest sound doesn't exist , as if the whole dorm building is empty . Empty of everything but the silence that should only exist in dreams. In the middle of the silence , one can easily hear the silent beatings of wind against wall and the small sounds of heavy rain. He immediately shook his head. Going out by himself at this hour is even scarier than playing the game.

  

"It's almost 12. Let's start." Top clapped his hands .

"Okay , Start ." Taemin said.

 

They all closed their eyes , each randomly picked their masks , and then continuously switched places around the table. After hearing Taemin's call to stop , everyone stood still while Taemin held one person's hand . 10 fingers tangled around each other. The pen is slipped in and everyone slowly placed their hands on top of the two hands . Everyone opened their eyes and looked around themselves .

 

The white cloth successfully covered up their bodies stopping anyone from recognizing another's body shape or hair style . The familiar dorm mates now changed into different characters , Snow white , Dooly , Traditional beauty , Female vampire , Death god Ryuk and an unidentifiable mask with weird patterns. Everyone looked at each other , feeling more weird than ever before. Those close friends have all of a sudden turned into complete strangers.

 

After they settled down , the chant began.

" Pen spirit,Pen spirit , quickly come out of the night , pass through the barrier of darkness , from the world of spirits! Pen spirit , Pen spirit , quickly rise from the coldness of the ground , through the barrier of age and past , and come to us! "

 

...

 

Each and every person used a fake voice to recite the chant , these 6 people's voices ringing in the dead of the night was especially strange , as if it was some sort of cult. Even they themselves thought there wasn't a hint of their own voices in their fake ones.

After the 3rd chant was finished , silence was evident all around the room. The atmosphere turned especially heavy .These 6 people's hearts continued thumping loudly , they could only hear the other's breathing , unable to hear their own as if they've forgotten how to breath .

 

Everyone's attention was directed at the pen between the group of hands huddled together at the center of the table. For a while nothing moved , nothing happened except the dancing flames and shadows.

 

It wasn't moving at all , but Key could feel his hands starting to sweat ,how he wished he could pull his hand out and stop playing this crazy game. But as if those hands were under spell , they stuck together like glue and refused to move even a little bit .

 

In the middle of the unbearable silence , the pen moved .

 

"Its here." came from someone's low voice .

12 eyes shone through their respective masks , looking intently at the pen .

 

The pen moved a little . Everyone couldn't do anything but follow the movement of the pen . After the shaking stopped , the pen slowly drew a circle on the paper .

 

The Pen Spirit is here!

 

 

 

 

 


 

Going to give you an idea of what this game looks like :

                2009101212400196.jpg                   101551_10.jpg

 

                  

 

 

 Yes and no on the left , Girl or guy on the right. The top is random names I guess

 

   BY the way, theres a horror movie based on this game but its in chinese. I'm never going to watch it. I also saw ss501 play it in that school of rock or whatever show so i think koreans play it...I myself don't understand the game at all. Its just all in the head.  How can the pen ever move by itself?