Who's Next

The One-Eyed Doll

 

 

Stairs+at+night.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

It's been exactly one week since CL's death. Key was still at the hospital.  Top and Victoria were out with their friends again. They never stayed in the dorm for long anymore, always making excuses to stay  as far away from the building as possible. 

 

So, the only one that remained in room 201 was Minzy.

 

For the first time in 3 years, the dorm was cold and lonely, no sign of the liveliness that radiated from the room only 2 weeks ago. Minzy silently cursed herself for not getting a boyfriend. She's forced to sit in the dorm by herself for hours with nothing to do and no one to keep her company. A boyfriend would've been nice.

 

In less than a month, a total of 2 people from this very dorm passed away, even Minzy who was usually brave and fearless felt uncomfortable in there. Under the white fluorescent light, familiar objects like beds and chairs suddenly seemed alien and strange.

 

She sighed and walked over to their desk, pulling out the drawer mindlessly. Maybe she'll find something interesting in there. Inside laid a blue book titled "The Principles of Psychology", flipping the book open  to the first page, ' Lee Taemin ' was carefully written in the upper right hand corner in big bold letters.

Minzy immediately dropped the book back into the drawer as if it burned her and quickly slammed the drawer shut. She closed her eyes and cursed. Why didn't they get rid of Taemin and Cl's belongings?!

 

She ran a hand through her hair in frustration and took a deep breath. From the corner of her eyes, she suddenly spotted a huge lump under the blankets on Cl's bed.

Almost instantaneously on natural instincts, she ran to the farthest corner of the room and carefully looked at CL's bed again. The sheets were completely flat, as if the lump never there.

That couldn't be, she swears she saw it. There's no way...unless...

Slowly and dreadfully, the word 'ghost' drifted into her mind. Cold sweat broke out and her heartbeats began to rise.

No,there's no such thing as ghosts she reasoned with herself. Oh god, staying in this room for so long is making me go crazy. And you still had he nerves to make fun of Key! She inwardly scolded herself.

She stood there at the corner until she finally calmed down before leaping to her bed in big leaps. Eyes never leaving CL's bed even as she climbed the small ladder.

 

Maybe sleeping would be a good idea. Definitely, she needs to rest her mind before she completely freaked herself out.

 

Minzy quickly wrapped herself in thick blankets and looked around the room once more. She took a long, deep breath and finally settled down comfortably on her bed. It was 10 minutes before she was completely relaxed and started drifting into sleep. It was also 10 minutes before the sound of breathing reached her ears.

 

Her eyes snapped open. "WHO! who's there!" All she got back was a deadly silence. She scanned the room slowly again and this time, the small voice that reached her ears made her blood run cold. "Taemin....." It was Taemin's voice. She's lived with him for years, there's no way she wouldn't recognize it. ...

Minzy snapped out of her trance soon, slapping her cheeks lightly to shake such absurd thoughts out of her head.It couldn't be. It was just impossible.She's really gone crazy, seeing and hearing things that aren't there..

She slowly lowered herself onto the bed again and held the blankets around herself protectively. Closing her eyes, she tried to find sleep again.

The room was quiet, no, the whole building was quiet and almost empty since everyone went home during weekends. It was so quiet she can hear almost every little sound made. The slight jingle of keys and footsteps probably from a security guard upstairs, the rustles of leafs outside, the small creaks and the slightest ruffles of her blankets. Minzy tried to hold her breath as an attempt to make peace with the little sounds around her. She gave up after losing air.

She rolled around on her bed, regreting her poor choice on not asking Top and Victoria when they'd be back.

 

Time suddenly became slow and tedious. Minutes later, sighing in exasperation, she opened her eyes and sat up.

Screw this,I'll just go out and take e a walk. Minzy grabbed the phone that was laying silently under her pillows and checked the time. It was almost 10. The corner store near school was probably still open, she'll just go wander around a little and buy some snacks to kill time.

She sat up, pushed the blankets aside and climbed down, the creaks it made was almost ear piercing so Minzy gave up and jsut jumped down instead. The moment she reached the floor, a soft, breathy voice reached her ears.

 

She stopped breathing instantly. Time froze as a single name was whispered into her ears.

 

"Minzy..."

 

Taemin..Taemin's voice !

Minzy's eyes widened as she screamed soundlessly, clawing on the bed, the floor, anything frantically.

 

And then the sound of breathing became loud and clear. Any amount of light in the room suddenly vanished, leaving every corner of the room pitch black.

 

"Pen spirit, Pen spirit, go back to eternity, disappear through darkness." the voice began repeating.

That was the chant the 6 of them didn't say in time, the reason they can never send it away again.

It's finally here to get her!

 

Minzy shut her eyes to stop the frightened tears from spilling out and crawled on the ground desperately, trying to escape. All of a sudden, she realized that the dorm's biggest wimp was herself.

A cold breeze of wind passed by, as if someone was right behind her, blowing air at the crown of her head.

.

She tried to convince herself that it was all in the head again. It's all imaginations, hallucinations. Don't be scared,open your eyes,there's nothing there! She silently comforted herself through the cold sweat that covered her entire body now. She shut her eyes even more tightly and then on the count of 3, opened her eyes-

The lights from the hallway slipped in, giving her just enough light to make out the face in front of her.  A face covered in wet mud and weeds, a  body that reeked of  foul water. A face with a missing right eye.

 

She screamed.

 

......

 

 

 

A few floors down, a sleeping janitor jerked awake from his peaceful dream by an ear piercing scream. What the ?! He jumped up and rushed out of his office just in time to see a huge black lump drop down from some floor above and hit the ground in a loud thug.

 

He ran a hand through his greasy hair and walked toward the lump.

 

"Who the is still throwing their garbage down the stairs in the middle of the night?!! Goddammit, kids these days are really getting out of hand. Imagine how much worse these kids will get when they finally become celebrities. god, I'm already dreading the future. Ugh this is the wor- "  he immediately stopped his ranting at the sight of the thick dark liquid spilling out from under the dark lump.

 

"Wha-" He dropped to the floor in shock as he moved the warm, dark, lump. The head of a short haired female student rolled over, followed by a few sickening cracks.A few streams of thick, red blood rolled down her face from the obvious crack on her head as horror stricken eyes stared straight into the janitor's.

 

He let out a strangled breath and screamed.

Next to the huge puddle of blood, right next to the girl's busted head was a smiling Dooly mask .

He saw black intrude his vision and fell unconscious on the floor.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

Room 201 no longer have any residents. Top and Victoria both moved into another room. 

Even the students in room 200, 202, and 203 moved away as quickly as they could. Not only that, the whole third floor was living in fear, waiting to move out. In fact, everyone avoided the third floor like a plaque.

 

Rumors of the Pen Spirit's killings quickly spread through campus. The next story becoming even more terrifying than the last. No one dared to play the game again. Any games remotely similar to the Pen Spirit like the Disk Spirit or the Chopsticks Spirit was also banned.

 

Key has officially moved into a mental hospital.

 

The way Minzy died, was once again exactly the same as her story. Falling down from an upper floor and cracking her head tragically.

After the incident, the police arrived at the incident and carried away her body. They searched  and examined the whole building, from the 5th floor all the way to the lobby for an entire 12 hours and not even a single strand of hair offered any lead to the investigation. In the end, the police gave up and wrote the obvious homicide down as suicide.

 

After knowing what happened, Krystal looked for Jonghyun and Amber again.

Due to their worry for Key's mental health, Jonghyun and Amber lost a few pounds as well, but compared to Krystal, they were pretty well off. Krystal downed her sorrow in alcohol. She lost tons of sleep and her eyes were surrounded by dark circles.

"Go with me to te police station." Krystal asked straight away the moment she met Jonghyun. Amber refused to leave Key's side. 

"What, disappointed that they didn't call you in as a suspect this time?" Jonghyun joked.

Krystal promptly turned around and walked toward the bus stop. " You coming or not."

Jonghyun has always been one of Krystal's close friends. He caught up with her and let a comfortable silence settle in before speaking up again, " I know you just can't let go, but-"

"It's not that I can't let go," Krystal waved her hands to signal the bus as she continued, "Jonghyun, haven't you noticed the connection between these 3 deaths?"

"huh?" Jonghyun stared back at her with a confused expression.

 

"Lee Taemin was the first to tell his story, CL was the second one, and Minzy was the third. No they'e all dead and died exactly the same way as their stories as well as the same order." Krystal turned around to face Jonghyun.

"you're saying...." Jonghyun stared back at her, bewildered.

 

"You guys are probably going to the police station huh." the driver interrupted.

"How do you know?" Jonghyun chuckled.

" 3 students in a row, how scary!" The ajusshi handed them their tickets and turned around to drive again.

 

Jonghyun and krystal headed for the back seats.He whispered quietly to Krystal, " So you're saying, that if someone was behind all these..what we assume now as murders, then that psycho will kill all six of them, one by one according to the order they told their stories in and in exactly the same scenario the characters in those stories died?" an involuntary shiver ran down his back after he finished his sentence

 

Krystal nodded, "Right."

"Then we're going to the police station....." Jonghyun asked.

"Jonghyun, think. If what we deduced was right, what will happen next?" Krystal looked him in the eye.

Jonghyun thought for a bit before his eyes lit up in realization, I understand, "Top and Victoria is in danger!" 

"Correct, I have to go to the police station and request for them to protect Top and Victoria." Krystal bit her lips slightly," I really don't want to see anyone die anymore."

" No one wants to." Jonghyun thought about Key and looked down sadly. They had been the best of friends. He would protect him with Amber from then on. He wouldn't let anyone hurt his best friend again.

 

 

Daesung wasn't at the police station. The one who greeted them was a young, playful looking guy wearing a name tag that reads,' Seungri Ri' .

After listening to their story, Seungri thought for a bit before speaking, "What you guys just said is indeed important, but all three of these people has been written down as suicide. And all of your deductions are based off of something as unreliable as Pen Spirit which makes your deductions unreliable as well. I'm afraid the police won't offer much help in protecting who you falsely believe as victims."

Jonghyun quickly argued," But in just a few weeks, 3 students have died, and all according to our deduction. You guys, the police has a responsibility to stop any more deaths from happening."

Seungri looked at Jonghyun and laughed," The police doesn't believe in super natural happenings, nor do we act on intuition.  We are very busy and I have a lot to attend to so please, the door is to your left." He picked up some files from the table and sauntered away to some pretty policewoman with a flirtatious grin.

 

Jonghyun rolled his eyes at him and turned back to Krystal, " What do we do? Maybe we're really overthinking this."

 

"Do you really believe all this is a coincidence? Jonghyun, we are talking about death here, not some game. They are still healthy and alive now but after a few days, what's left might be a mere corpse."

"What should be do next then?" Jonghyun thought about Key again and shook his head sadly.

"If our deductions are correct, the next one is T.O.P. and according to his story and the way his character died....his head is going to be .......chopped off !

 

" This Saturday!" Jonhyun said.

" Right!" Krystal took Jonghyun's hands into hers, "It's up to us to stop  this tragedy from happening!"

" We don't believe there's such things as ghosts." Jonghyu looked forward with a determined glint in his eyes, "We have to stop that psycho."

 

 


 

Yay! I'm back! Finally.

P.S: :policemen have nametags right? I assumed they did.

 

So while I was writing this and getting into the mood, out of nowhere my mom was like,

" I always feel like someone's watching me when I'm cooking, and when  I turn around,no one's there."

Like really?! didn't need to know that ! I'll go watch some variety show later,

 

I just realized how long this story will be. It's nowhere near finished and this is only the beginning.

Maybe I can write longer chapters but that doesn't really make a difference huh.
 

Okay,I'll update more often now since it's summer! 

Bye.