Lee Chaerin's Story

The One-Eyed Doll

7afd3b22bdd949939db95fd1c02d7d3d.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

" Why didn't you pull me back! "

Why didn'y you reach your hands out to pull me back ! "

 

"AHHHH ! " Sandara Park wakes up in the middle of the night covered in sweat . Again .

 

She can still see it in in front of her. The lifeless child covered in fresh blood . The smashed open head , the arm twisted to an inhumane angle and the detached hand that laid next to her feet .

 

How the child suddenly jumped up and grabbed her legs desperately .

 

How even in that damaged , bloody mess , she could make out the small red mouth opening and closing. Opening and closing .

 

How with a hoarse , high pitched voice , the child continuously screamed , " Why didn't you pull me back ! "

 

 

It is a reoccurirrng nightmare that has haunted her for 2 years already . She watches the scene replay again and again every night in her sleep , not counting the numerous nights when she stayed up all night too horrified to sleep .

 

How much longer will the dreams haunt her ? who knows , perhaps her whole life.

 

Sandara opens her eyes slowly and stares at the ceiling blankly . The bright light spilling into her room signals that the long awaited morning has finally arrived.

She quickly gets out of bed and takes a quick shower before hurriedly grabbing her purse and rushing out the door.

 

It only occurs to her after walking for several blocks already that it was way too early to go to work . She brushes off the thought when she figures that she can just grab a small breakfast at the cafe near her company and wait there until it's time .

 

She continues walking for several more blocks before she reaches the intersection where her dream took place . She starts sweating and clenchs the handle of her purse just like she did every time she reaches this intersection .

Sandara feels as if she's lost the ability to breathe . As if an invisible hand is tightly squeezing her like a snake to its prey.

The red stain on the road remains as a reminder for what she has done.

The memories begin crahing down at her and she she's the whole thing play out in front of her once again.

 

 

 

The incident happened 2 years ago , on the day Sandara's company was celebrating their 8 year anniversary .

 

Just a few days before , the camera  that held the video for a planned presentation was ruined and while everyone was thinking about how to fix it , Dara had claimed responsibility and assured that she would take care of it .

 

That day , she rushed out of her house with her purse in one hand and a DV she borrowed from her boyfriend in the other . She was running late so she had no choice but to run .A red light at the busy intersection stops her and left her standing there signing in frustration .

 

At that moment , an excited voice pipes up .

 

" Wah , unni! Your DV looks exactly like the one my dad just bought ! " A little girl in neat school uniform , oversized backpack and cute pig tails pointed at the DV in Dara'a hands with a wide smile .

' What a cute girl ." Dara thought unconsiously as she smiled weetly at the young girl .

" How old are you ? "

" 2nd grade this year! "

 

" Wah! thats really young ! your parents should be taking you to school .  Crossing the streets is dangerous! "

" My parents are busy today so I have to go by myself and I'm in second grade already , I know how to cross the road! " The little girl pouts cutely before pointing in front of her with a set of sparlkly eyes.

 

" Look! The lights turned green! "

 

Perhaps she was too excited for school or mayve she just wanted to prove that she knows how to cross the road . The little girl takes a huge leap into the road , failing to see the truck rushing around the corner , headed towards her .

 

" BE CAREFUL! " Sandara took a frantic step into the road only to stop when she spotted the DV and handbag from the corner of her eyes.

 

The DV was newly bought and caused her boyfriend quite a bit . Inside her purse is a few thousand doollars in cash , 2 phones , an itouch and a set of expensive  headphones.

 

In that moment of hesitation and selfishness , Loud Honk! and crash followed by a piercing scream resonated throught the streets .

 

Bits of warm liquid splattered on Dara's face and the hands that was in the middle of picking up the camera.

She knew right away it belonged to the little girl .

 

 

withn seconds , shrieks , screams , cries, and a loud nearby sirens broke out .

A puddle of warm , think blood soaked Dara's knees and handbag but Dara didn't notice that , her attention was solely on the small detached hand lying right next to her heels .

 

 

 

 

No . No , Stop! Sandara stops herself from thinking any further . She looks up and sees the lights turn green and walks toward the road .

" Look! The lights turned green! "

She clearly sees the little girl in front of her laughing .The laughter was o beautiful . Like little bells , so lively , so pure , so bright .

 

Without thinking , Sandara rushes into the road with her hands reached out.

" BE CA –– "

 

The word , "Careful" will never have the chane to come out of .

 

She will never have the chance to complete her sentence.

 

Before she drifts into unconsiousness , a world filled with darkness and emptiness , on thought crosses her mind....Its exactly one year from that day.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

" Oh god , I hate anything related to the death of children . you know how depressing that is?! " Key is wrapped in thick blankets sitting comfortably between Victoria and CL .

 

Taemin smiles coldly before he states his thoughts . " I say this Sandara girl is way to selfish . She prioritized money , cellphone , DV , headphones and itouch above the life of a child . Serves her right ."

 

TOP begs to differ , " It was selfis of her but at the same ime , it's not entirely her fault ." He frowned a bit before continuing. " Death as a punishment is too heavy a price . That too was a human life ."

 

Minzy , who had been playing with the masks on the table looks up with a laugh . " Come on , chill . This is just a story. Things like this don't happen in life! "

This time , Victoria seems to disagree . " Not entirely true . When a person does something bad , the guilt never really leaves . The little girl lauging in front of her was probably a hallucination made from her conscience and guilt. Her daily nightmares were caused by the disturbance in her mental state from the tramatic accident . Thats why I always say not to do bad things . "

 

CL Claps her hand to signal the end to all the discussion . " Will you guys stop trying to pry open everything in a story? Leave that for literature class. Minzy , your turn ." 

 

 

 


 

Yesterday was so frustrating!  I actually typed out the whole chapter yesterday but forgot to save it so BAM! it was gone. 2 hours of work.

I was even more angry that I had no one else to blame but myself lol.

but I got to improve the writing so its not entirely bad :)

 

omg! omg! Shinee's going to have to comebacks >.< So excited ~