Remember

Life

 

“Thank you for the dinner Mrs. Lee” said Jonghyun. “It was wonderful” he smiled.

The lady only smiled at Jonghyun and started to clean up the table. “Let me help you” said Niel and helped the woman in the kitchen.

Ricky, Minsoo and Jonghyun were still sitting at the dining table. Minsoo looked like he wanted to ask Jonghyun or Ricky something, but he was debating if he should ask or just keep quiet.

“Can I talk to you for a moment?” he suddenly asked Jonghyun.

“Sure…” Jonghyun looked at him puzzled, wondering what could they possibly be talking about. The boy got up and left, giving a smile to Ricky as he left the room with Minsoo. “What is it?” asked Jonghyun as soon as they entered Minsoo’s room.

“I found this” said the older boy and showed Jonghyun the poster of the wanted people. Jonghyun only widened his eyes in shock.

“Where did you get that?” he asked, surprised.

“It’s all over the town. I recognized you guys the second I stepped into the store”

“So…are you going to call them?”

“…no” Minsoo shook his head.

“Why not?” Jonghyun was even more surprised now.

“Because they’re looking for me too” sighed Minsoo. He sat on the bed and looked down. Jonghyun sat next to him, confused as ever. “I was a soldier, just like you”

“H-how did you know I was a soldier?”

“You have that mark behind your ear. They mark all of their soldiers. While I was cutting Ricky’s hair I saw that he wasn’t marked” sighed Minsoo.

“Oh… so why are they looking for you?”

“Coz I finally remembered” chuckled Minsoo. Jonghyun kept quiet, waiting for Minsoo to talk. “I was the commander… and then one day I found a piece of paper in my pocket. It was from one person I… used to love…” he paused. “Aish I really don’t know how to explain all this to you without sounding crazy or insane” sighed Minsoo.

“I’ll try to understand” said Jonghyun.

“Yeah I know, that’s why I wanted to talk to you not Ricky or Niel” he said.

“What happened next?”

“Well… first there is no war and second all of this isn’t real. You see… I remember some few men kidnapping me and taking me to a lab where they drugged me. They’re making a new drug without the government knowing… so they drugged me and some other boys and then they hooked us up on some machines. That’s how I got some scars on my back and I bet you and your friends have some”

“yeah” nodded Jonghyun with his eyes widened. “And then?”

“And then I woke up in war with North Korea… “ he shook his head. “Later I found that letter. Wait, I’ll show it to you” Minsoo got up and went towards his drawers. He took out a piece of paper and handed it to Jonghyun.

Dear Minsoo

You’re probably wondering where I went… Well right now I’m hiding under my bed and writing this letter to you. God knows where I will be tomorrow or will I be dead or not…
Two people came into my house. I was in my room at that time while my parents were downstairs. I heard some gunshots and now I’m afraid to go down there to see what happened. I’m afraid that they’ll kill me too. These people are evil, they even know my name. They’ve been calling my name and searching for me for over an hour. They had been planning to do this. I never imagined saying goodbye to you or even saying goodbye to you like this.
But you know that I will always love you. We’ve been friends for over 15 years and I was planning on spending my whole life with you, but I guess the end came sooner than I expected it to come.

Don’t be sad that I’m gone. I’ll be waiting for you in heaven, hehe.
Goodbye now Minsoo. I love you.

Your Chanhee~

“Chanhee?” Jonghyun looked at Minsoo.

“Yeah that’s his name. And I know that he’s here somewhere. I’ve been searching for him since I got away from Seoul, where they locked me up”

“I’m… I’m really sorry for this” said Jonghyun and gave him his letter back. “I really hope you find him here”

“You don’t think I’m crazy?”

“I don’t know… I think part of it makes sense but part of it doesn’t. The part where I don’t remember some things make sense …I don’t even know why they tried to sent me away. All I remember is that my friend was killed because of me.” Jonghyun tried hard not to cry. “How can we get out of here?” he suddenly asked.

“That’s what I don’t know… I ran away 2 weeks ago and since then I’ve been looking for Chanhee and looking for a solution how to get out of here”

“Even though I’m not fully on board with all this… I’m still going to help you find a way” said Jonghyun and left the room. He went in the living room where he found Ricky sitting alone.

“I’m tired” said Ricky as soon as he saw Jonghyun walk into the room.

“Let’s go to bed then” smiled Jonghyun and took Ricky’s hand. The two of them went in their shared room while Niel was staying with Minsoo, in his room.
The two boys walked inside the room and Ricky threw himself on the bed right away. Jonghyun chuckled at him and then sat down on the ground, his back resting on the side of the bed. It was silent between the two of them, until they heard a moan coming from the room next to theirs. Ricky quickly got up confused. He nudged Jonghyun who was in his own world.

“Did you hear that?” asked Ricky.

“Hear what?” as soon as Jonghyun asked that they heard the moan again.

“That” Ricky yelled and got up. “He’s hurting Niel hyung!” Ricky was about to leave the room.

“He’s not hurting Niel hyung” chuckled Jonghyun and grabbed his hand.

“We have to help him” whined Ricky.

“No we don’t. Niel is going to be fine” laughed Jonghyun and placed Ricky on the bed. Ricky only pouted and lied down. He faced the other way and tried to fall asleep, but those sounds weren’t helping much.

“Did you have your first kiss?” suddenly Ricky asked.

“My first kiss?” Jonghyun was surprised. “Um… yeah, I had my first kiss” he smiled. Ricky was still facing the other way while Jonghyun was sitting on the ground again. “What about you?”

“…No” he answered quietly. It took him a while to even answer. Suddenly it became quiet again. Jonghyun got up and sat down on the bed where Ricky was. He grabbed Ricky’s arm and turned the boy to face him. Ricky widened his eyes, confused of why was he doing that. He tried to avoid making any eye contact with Jonghyun.
The taller boy leaned in and their faces were only inches away. He smiled before his lips touched Ricky’s. Suddenly both of them pushed away and widened their eyes.

“Jonghyun” Ricky began to cry.

“Changhyun” Jonghyun hugged the boy. I remember he thought.