Without you

Life

2 years ago

“Changhyun-ah… “ started Jonghyun. He looked down and sighed. Changhyun noticed that his friend was nervous.

“W-what is it?” asked Changhyun and came closer to his friend. He was worried, of course.

“It’s my mom… She’s really sick” finally the taller boy said. “She’s in the hospital right now” he added.

“Then what are you doing here? You have to be with her. Come on, I’m coming with you” said Changhyun and dragged Jonghyun towards the bus station.

“I can’t, that’s the thing… I have some… homework and if I don’t do it for tomorrow … I’m going to repeat the year” sighed Jonghyun. “My grades are so low… she’s so disappointed in me” he blinked couple of times so the tears won’t fall down. “I’m going to visit her tomorrow” said Jonghyun and headed back home. He left Changhyun behind. The boy couldn’t believe because of some stupid homework he won’t visit his sick mother.

“Don’t be stupid!” suddenly yelled Changhyun. “Go! I’m going to do the homework for you! You could have asked me, you know” Changhyun hit Jonghyun.

“You can’t do my homework” Jonghyun rolled his eyes.

“Just tell me what I have to do” Changhyun hit him again.

“Okay fine” Jonghyun rubbed his sore arm and gave up. “I have to write a book report for tomorrow”

“Okay… what book?”

“The messenger. Uh who am I kidding? That’s a huge book, you can’t do that. Forget it” said Jonghyun and headed home.

“What just happened…?” mumbled Changhyun and ran towards the taller one. “I can do it!” he said. “Your mother will be sad if you’re not there with her… she’s sick. I can do the homework, trust me” said Changhyun reassuring him.

“But it’s a big book…”

“I have enough time. I have exactly 12 hours till the classes start”

After that Jonghyun gave up and went to the hospital to visit his mother. His father was already there. The sick woman smiled when she saw her son right next to her.
Changyun on the other hand went straight home and started reading the book. He looked for some information on the internet as well and asked his parents about the book.
The boy didn’t sleep the whole night, but luckily he finished the book report on time for his friend Jonghyun.

In the morning, when he got to school the first person he saw was Jonghyun. He smiled when he saw him and quickly gave him his homework.

“I hope you get an A” smiled Changhyun.

“Thank you so much. I don’t know what I would do without you

“You can repay me with not repeating the year” chuckled Changhyun. He looked kind of tired. He got black circles under his eyes but that didn’t stop him from being happy for helping a friend.

“I won’t. I promise” smiled Jonghyun, but then he noticed the Changhyun’s pale face and his eyes. “…Changhyun… did you sleep last night?”

“Um… yeah” nodded Changhyu and then ran off to his class.

“Are you ready?” a friend asked him as he entered the classroom.

“Ready for what?” he asked confused.

“For the test…” the boy answered and then sat down.

“A test…? We’re having a test today?” yelled Changhyun. He started to panic because he totally forgot about the test.

“Yeah and the last one. Our grade really depends on this one” the boy said and the professor came in.

Changhyun wanted to die at that moment. He didn’t sleep or study for today. He wasn’t feeling good either. His face got even more pale.

“Now I’m going to repeat the year” he mumbled.

~~

“I got an A” yelled Jonghyun as he hugged Changhyun. He laughed because he was so happy. “Thank you Changhyun-ah~ You’re the best.”

“That’s great” replied Changhyun.
It was lunch time and the two of them were outside. “Are you sure you’re okay?” asked Jonghyun. “You don’t look good. Are you sick?”

“Um… I’m fine” smiled Changhyun and started eating his sandwich.

“Tell me what’s wrong” whispered Jonghyun, scaring Changhyun. He chuckled when he saw Changhyun’s scared expression.

“Why do you think that something is up?”

“Well because… you don’t smile, your face is really white, your eyes are red and tired and you have those circles under your eyes… Just tell me something… You didn’t sleep because of me, right?”

“I didn’t sleep but it’s really not bothering me. I’m happy that I helped you. You know I would do anything for you.” smiled  Changhyun.

“Yeah… I’m sorry”

“Jonghyun, don’t worry about it” chuckled Changhyun. “I’m just tired, that’s all. I’ll be my old self again, tomorrow” he chuckled and went inside the school.

~~

Present

 

“JONGHYUN! NO! WAKE UP! YOU CAN’T LEAVE ME AGAIN” he yelled and started to cry. He was shaking Jonghyun’s cold body hoping that he will open his eyes once again. “You said that you will get me out of here. You promised, Jonghyun!” the boy cried.

Suddenly someone hugged him from behind and Minsoo appeared in front of him. The one hugging him was Niel. Niel tried to take Changhyun away from Jonghyun’s body so he could calm down. Minsoo on the other hand checked if the boy was alive or dead. He couldn’t get his pulse so that meant that… the boy was dead.

What am I going to do without you” said Changhyun quietly and went in the house with Niel.
The older boy heard that and tried not to cry. He had to be strong for Changhyun.

“He wanted to tell me something” suddenly Changhyun said to Niel, remembering it.