Sleepless night

Red-haired devil

- Jonghyun POV -

 

I’m staring at the white ceiling above the couch. It’s six o’clock in the morning ,but I’m still wide awake. My hyung’s words keep replaying in my head endlessly.

 

Onew had looked so cold, so furious when he kicked me out of my bedroom and I am still groping in the dark for the reason. Our leader was protecting Key from me, that was obvious. So, unconsciously I must have said or done something wrong earlier today… or well, yesterday, since it’s already past midnight. I must have angered my boyfriend, and our leader has taken the other’s side. But what did I do to upset the man I loved with my entire heart? My brain hurts due to the overtime it’s working. You can almost hear it rack and crack in the silence of the early morning.

 

When I reach the last option of my tick-off list of things I’ve said or done the previous day my eyes almost fall out of their sockets.  I jolt up from the couch. Can it be that  Key discovered…? No, that’s impossible. Before I had left the dorm last night, I had made sure everyone had retreated to their room.

 

Flashback

 

An hour before I had to leave for my secret meeting, the maknaes’ shared bedroom  turned silent, announcing Taemin and Minho were off to dreamland. The two boys had been so worn out from the concerts, the trainings and the overall pressure that was resting on their shoulders, they had welcomed the sleep like a gift from the gods. The leader went to his room only a couple of minutes later. 

 

That’s how I ended up with only Key on the couch, watching a replay of a dull variety show. We were cuddled together as always, but it wasn’t all lovey-dovey like it was supposed to be. There was something off about the situation. Key seemed to be a little irritated and I couldn’t bring myself to be all romantic and stuff either. And there was another feeling radiating from the pretty boy in my arms. Something I could only describe as nervousness. But what could possibly render the mighty Key nervous? Before I could even ask him any questions, he stood up, saying he was tired. He went to our bedroom, but halted at the door for a second and turned back around, facing me, who was still sitting on the couch.

 

“You’re coming with me?” he asked in a tender and loving voice, but the slight hint of irritation and nervousness was still audible.

 

As I switched off the TV, I excused myself and explained I couldn’t join him because I had to go out for some solo schedule. I expected to face an upset diva, like usual when I would go out without giving him any information about my whereabouts. But instead Key simply nodded, his heels and went to our bedroom without spilling another word. I thought it was quite peculiar, but shrugged it off as I left the dorm.

 

FB end

 

I’m still sitting on the couch, thinking position activated: arms resting on my legs, chin on my left hand, my under lip in between my teeth. Could it be that Key didn’t go to sleep, but followed me instead? Did he see me together with Soomin and did that upset him? But why is Onew taking his side then? Doesn’t he believe it will be better if we can end this chapter and move on with our lives? Does he really agree with Key that we can simply ignore everything that has happened lately?

 

All the thinking and guessing has made me so frustrated I can’t stay still any longer. I get up from the couch and start pacing around the dark living room. I want to talk to someone about this situation, but I am denied access from one of the bedrooms – where the inhabitants made it clear they don’t want to talk to me – and I don’t want to bother the tired boys in the other bedroom either. So I take out my phone from my pocket and search for the contact whose sincerity and cleverness could be very useful at the moment. I push the green button and bring the device to my ear, waiting as the ring-back tone goes over a couple of times. It seems to last a century until a tiny, sleepy voice picks up the phone on the other side of  the line.

 

Stupid Jonghyun!

 

I mentally facepalm myself when I realise the girl was probably asleep like every normal being would be at 6 o’clock in the morning. I’m blaming and cursing myself for waking her up that I don’t hear her call my name the first time.

 

“Jonghyun-ah?” she calls a second time.

 

Her voice is only a little louder than when she first picked up the phone,  but it’s still not more than a whisper.

 

“Jonghyun-ah? What’s wrong? Why do you call me this early in the morning?”

 

I stay quiet, looking for the right words. Why did I exactly call her for? To tell her that Key’s upset? But what’s the reason for his anger? I’m still not sure myself, so how will Soomin be able to help me?

 

“Jonghyun-ah? You call me at 6 AM, but then you don’t say a single word? What happened?”

“Key… Key… he’s…”

 

My words are stuck in my throat, frustration and confusion blocking their way out.

 

“Something happened to Key?”

 

Panic is clearly audible in her high-pitched voice. I facepalm myself for the second time this morning, realising how serious my words and the hesitations in between must have sounded.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, noona. Key’s not wounded,” I assure the girl on the other side of the line. “Not physically at least,” I add, murmuring.

“‘Not physically at least’? What’s that supposed to mean? You’re acting really weird, Jonghyun-ah. Normally you can explain everything so well. Why not this time? Calm down a little and tell me what happened in an understandable way, no riddles, no half sentences.”

 

Her ordering voice surprises me, although I’ve heard it several times in the dance studio.

 

“I’m sorry I called you at this inhuman time, noona,” I apologise before telling her the entire story.

 

I explain everything that has happened after I got home from our meeting; starting from being denied access to my own bedroom to the harsh, confusing words of the leader. After I’ve finished my story it stays quiet on the other side of the line for a long time.

 

I’m considering Soomin might have fallen back asleep and it would be better I if I hung up when the girl speaks up again.

 

“You might be right that Key followed you and saw us together… But would he really become so angry just because of the fact that we ignored his request to stop searching? Honestly, I think there’s more going on here, Jonghyun-ah.”

“But what, noona?”

 

Another silence.

--- 

A/N: After so long I've finally finished another chapter. Hoorah!

No, it's not something to celebrate... How could I let you, my lovely subbies ,wait for so long? I'm such a bad girl!

 

But please forgive me...

I'm in my third year of university now and I'm being overwelmed with assignments (presentations, papers,...)

Really, so much more work than the last two years, it's tiring!

 

Enough of my complaints...

Did you enjoy the chapter?

Please comment and upvote!

And stay tuned for the next chapter =)