Another broken promise

Red-haired devil

- Soo Min POV -

 

“How did your brother react when he saw the pictures?” Key asks when he’s sure our boyfriends have left the bedroom and we can talk in private.

 

I knew this moment would come sooner or later, but actually I was hoping I could postpone it a little longer. I bite my lip and cast my eyes downwards, afraid to stare into those strong feline eyes. When I told him about my plan to help them, I made a promise to Key. I wouldn’t involve anyone else but my brother into this messed-up situation. I didn’t mean to, but I broke that promise. Another broken promise. The last few days I feel I have broken so many promises that I’m doubting my own trustworthiness.

 

Key feels I’m not at ease and pulls me to the bed, sitting down at the edge and patting on the open spot next to him. I drag my feet to the bed and sit next to the rapper. I look in his dark orbs, trying to express the guilt without any words, before I take a deep breath and open my mouth to speak.

 

 “Key, I know I promised you I would only involve my brother in this situation… but I’m afraid I broke that promise.”

“You made one single promise and you can’t even keep that one!?” Key partly yelled, partly whispered.

 

He wants a private conversation with me and doesn’t want to gain any attention from the four boys in the living room, but he can’t stop himself from raising his voice. Anger’s clearly building up inside his fragile body as Key starts to bite his lower lip and clenches his fists.

 

“Who else did you involve then?”

“Kevin.”

 

My voice only comes out like a whisper. I cough as if it would help to swallow away the lump in my throat before I continue my story and explain the reason why I revealed his precious secret to another soul.

 

“He was at our home when I returned from Japan and saw how upset and depressed I was. I tried to send him away, but he was worried and wanted to know what was going on… especially after he discovered you were part of the story.”

“Oh great… another person who has valuable information in his hands to destroy our careers,” he sighs, letting his head fall into his hands.

“You’re saying the exact same thing as he did.”

 

I can feel the edges of my mouth tilting, although I’m a little scared of the angry and desperate rapper.

 

“He said the same thing? Why would he? How can I destroy his career? I don’t know anything about him.”

“You know some important information about my brother, his band mate. If you would tell the press about Soo Hyun’s ual preference, you would also destroy his life.”

“The band mates… the innocent victims of this whole situation. What if we can’t solve this problem, you think they will be able to continue their careers?”

 

He looks up from his hands, into my eyes.

 

“For Tae, Minho and Onew, I sincerely hope they will be fine. But for Kevin… if Soo Hyun leaves U-KISS, he’ll leave as well for sure. Just like Jonghyun will when you leave SHINee.”

“Even if I would leave SHINee, I would never allow Jong to give up his dream to become a successful singer.”

“You know he won’t continue singing when you’re not around, Key. Love is a strange thing… It can even change someone’s biggest dreams.”

“Maybe it does. Maybe Jong will indeed leave SHINee when I do, but why are you saying that it’s the same with your brother and K-… Wait… Are you saying they’re together? Together like TOGETHER together?

 

Once again Key proves how smart he actually is. Without me telling the complete story, he has figured it all out. I avert my eyes and stare at the floor, nodding almost unnoticeable. His eyes double their size as he let out a surprised ‘oh’.

 

“That’s quite a shock. First we find out your brother is gay, and now you’re telling me he’s in a relationship with his band mate. So we’re not unique and you knew it,” Key giggles.

 

My lips curl into an innocent smile when I realise he’s referring to a private conversation we had on one of the nights I’ve spend at the dorm.

 

*Flashback*

 

The other four boys were captivated by a stupid video game and the two of us were preparing dinner. After chitchatting for a while, the conversation turned a little more serious and we started to talk about relationships. That night I found out Key was wondering whether there were other K-pop  stars having a secret relationships like he and Jonghyun were having, or were they unique? I  knew the truth, I knew they were not the only secret gay idols, but I couldn’t tell him of course.

 

*FB end*

 

“Key… Please don’t tell anyone about this. Knowing Soo Hyun is gay is enough information for them, don’t you think?”

 

The rapper nods his head and locks his mouth with an invisible key, throwing it over his shoulder afterwards. He gets back up his feet, signalling he’s leaving to the living room, but in my opinion the conversation isn’t over yet. I grab his wrist and pull him back next to me on the bed.

 

“It’s very likely that next time you’ll see Kevin, on a show or something, he’ll react quite y… You see… he loves my brother and he’s scared to death that you will sell Soo Hyun out. I know you’re not a tattletale and I tried my very best to assure him you will never tell anyone a thing about their ual preferences, but he has a low self-confidence what makes him vulnerable to paranoia.”

 

I stare right into Key’s dark feline eyes.

 

“So Key… Next time you see Kevin… If he reacts y or gives you nasty looks, know he’s hiding his fear behind those looks. Don’t react y, but try to talk to him. Make sure he understands that you’re not going to spill his secret.”

 

The rapper only nods in response, dumbfounded by my speech.

 

“Sorry again for breaking the promise, Key,” I apologise. “I should have tried harder to send him away, but Kevin was quite curious and angry.”

 

The beautiful smile that spreads  across his face melts away my sorrow. He takes my hand in his, squeezing it gently.

 

“It’s okay, noona. I think I would be the same if you would walk in here saying you need Jong’s help, but refusing to tell me what’s going on. I would get curious and jealous as well.”

“I think you would get along with him quite well. In some aspects you look alike.”

“Maybe I’ll try to befriend him the next time we meet.”