1 broken heart, 2 broken hearts

Red-haired devil

- Key POV -

 

The apartment is pitch-dark. Logically, since it’s 3 a.m. on a free day. Everyone inside the house is probably trying to get their well-needed and well-deserved sleep. Suddenly I hear a door opening and footsteps on the wooden floor. Only when the light in the hallway flashes on do I take the effort to see who I woke up. I can’t identify the person because my surroundings are completely blurry due to the endless tears that are filling my eyes.

 

“Key? Is that you?”

 

It’s Onew-hyung, the one I have to talk to. I try to stop crying, but the rivers keep rolling over my cheeks. The anger doesn’t want to disappear either. Neither does the heartbroken feeling.

 

“Key, are you crying?” Onew asks when he’s only a few steps away from me.

 

He crouches down next to me and throws his arm over my shoulder in a protective and consoling manner.

 

“Why are you crying, Key? What happened? Where have you been?”

 

With the back of my hand I wipe the tears away and look at my hyung for a  few seconds, until fresh tears disturb my clean view. Onew is still wearing his baby blue pyjamas with a duck print. His hair is tousled and he’s wearing his nerdy glasses. In a normal situation I would have laughed with his looks, but at this moment all I can do is sob and sniff and let the tears roll down over my cheeks.

 

- Onew POV -

 

I stare into space, not able to utter a single word. This is just a bad dream, a nightmare caused by the stress that we have suffered from the last couple of weeks. Key hasn’t just said that. It cannot be. Not my lovely Soo Min… Not with one of my friends… Not with one of my dongsaengs… Not with Jonghyun.

 

*Flashback*

 

When I woke up it was almost 3 a.m. My throat was dry as the Sahara desert, so I got up from my bed to get a glass of water. I wandered through the dark living room, trying my best to avoid the furniture and keep quiet so I wouldn’t wake up the other band mates. That’s when I heard quiet sobs in the darkness. I searched for the light switch and illuminate the entire room. There I saw a slim figure sitting on the wooden floor of the hallway. His back was leaning against the wall, his head was resting on his knees and his arms were wrapped around his legs. His face was completely hidden from my sight. He was slightly shaking because of the suppressed sobs. I immediately ran to the feminine rapper and sat down next to him. What he told me afterwards, was unexpected, shocking and heartbreaking.

 

*FB end*

 

Key has just told me what he saw in the SME building after he had chased the lead vocal on one of his night trips. I know Jonghyun has been away from home even more than usual, but I never, not even once, linked his absence with Soo Min’s. The fight between me and my girlfriend was an obvious explanation for the lack of her visits to our dorm. And the excuse for Jonghyun’s night trips? Well, just like Key, I thought he was writing or composing songs at the studio. After all, they had a small dispute the last time Jonghyun and his music files had occupied their entire bedroom. The only thing that made this explanation questionable was that the lead vocal didn’t admit it when we asked him about it. Now we know why… because it wasn’t true. All this time he hasn’t been composing songs, he has been cheating on his lover and doing who knows what with MY girlfriend.

 

I clench my fists so tightly until my knuckles turn pale white and my entire arms start to shake uncontrollably. My breathing quickens as anger runs through my veins, filling my body from head to toe. I rub the back of my hand over my lips after a mild metal taste intrudes my mouth. A small trail of red colours my hand.

 

“Aish.”

 

The crying boy at my side prevent me from cursing out loud. I let out a deep sigh and let my head fall into my hands. As if my brain only processed the rapper’s words at this moment tears finally start streaming down my cheeks, falling from my eyes. I try to be strong and want to suppress my sobs, so I clench my teeth and cover my mouth with my fist. However Key’s ears are sensible and pick up the sobs quite quickly.

 

“I’m sorry, hyung,” the rapper apologises with a trembling voice.

 

I give him a confused look, signalling I don’t understand why he’s apologising.

 

“I didn’t want to hurt you, hyung…”

 

I let out a frustrated chuckle.

 

“Key, you’re not the one that’s hurting me. The culprits are not sitting at my side, crying together with me at this moment.”

 

A pained sigh escapes Key’s lips. Only the sound crushes my heart.

 

“What should we do now, hyung?” Key’s desperate voice asks.

 

As the leader, the eldest of the group it’s hard to admit that you have no plan to solve the situation, but at this moment I am as desperate and clueless as the rapper at my side.

 

Minutes pass before I speak again.

 

“I guess we should go to sleep first. They’ve already crushed our hearts, we  can’t let them take our sleep as well.”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep in our bed, hyung,” Key answers after contemplating the idea I’ve just offered. “His scent is everywhere, you know… And what if he returns later?”

“I shall keep you company. Then you’re not alone in that room and when he comes home I can chase him away. What do you think?”

 

Key only nods in response. I give him a sad smile before getting up and offering my hand to help him get back on his feet.

 

-----

A/N: Aish, writing a heartbroken Key and a sad, frustrated Onew is SOOOO difficult (especially the second one)!! Some people might hate the fact that Onew isn’t all goofy and smiley in this fanfic, but would you be able to smile when your true love cheated on you with one of your best friends?

 

Please don’t abandon me after this poor chapter, I’ll try to do better next time ^_^