Missing You Episode 7

Missing You

 

“Jung Woo, Han Jung Woo.”
Joy calls out his name as a tear slips down Jung Woo’s face.

Joy’s eyes gloss over and shake, as she remembers how Jung Woo has abandoned her at the warehouse. She hears young Harry telling her that Jung Woo has abandoned her.

Before she gets further trapped in bad memories, Joy addresses Jung Woo as Detective Han, making Jung Woo come back to reality.

“You’re not, right? You’re not….”
“Han Jung Woo,” says Joy in a friendly tone, making Jung Woo turn around slowly.

Joy pretends that Jung Woo just broke up with his girlfriend. “I’ll be your friend for today.” With a smile, she asks if he wants a drink.

 

 

They sit at an outdoor tent bar, but the only one drinking is Joy, because if Jung Woo drinks even one shot, they have to go to the karaoke room (Such a funny detail).

Then Jung Woo asks if Joy sings well. Joy says she enjoys singing a few songs.
Jung Woo starts flooding her with questions – what kind of songs do you sing? Title? What is your favorite song? Since when did you start liking it? Can you sing one line?

Joy laughs, saying it feels like he’s interrogating her.

“Do I still look like Lee Soo Yeon to you?” asks Joy as she brings up her shot glass of soju. “Maybe if I get drunk, I’ll confess that I’m really Lee Soo Yeon.” Totally not funny.

Jung Woo looks up at her as Joy laughs, wondering what she has in common with this Lee Soo Yeon.

“Her voice,” says Jung Woo. “The voice that said Han Jung Woo.”
Joy laughs, and Jung Woo continues, “That soundless laugh.”

Joy asks why Jung Woo broke up with his girlfriend.

 

 

Meanwhile, the kidnapper-karaoke owner dashes out of the druggie-napper’s apartment in shock. He starts banging on the other doors, asking for help.

The police soon arrive and we find out that the druggie-napper has been brutally murdered. Jung Woo’s partner tries to call Jung Woo, but he doesn’t pick up his phone.

The partner calls Soo Yeon’s mom, saying that Jung Woo is needed for a case but doesn’t mention which one. Eun Joo comes into the house, saying Jung Woo’s nowhere to be found, worrying Soo Yeon’s mom.

 

 

Jung Woo is still at the tent bar, letting his phone ring off the hook.
Joy tells him to pick up, but Jung Woo’s more interested in hearing the answers to his questions.

Joy explains that she and Harry were adopted as children so she doesn’t know how old they are or when their birthdays are.

Joy then asks again why Jung Woo broke up with his girlfriend.

Slightly hesitant, Jung Woo replies that he was too fast.
“I’m a really fast runner. I’m the fastest even in our department. I come first when chasing….and running away.”

Joy looks away silently then lets out a quiet laugh.
She asks if he can fight well. “I’m jealous of whoever your girlfriend will be. You’ll protect her no matter what.”

It’s Jung Woo’s turn to look away as Joy peers on.

“Detective. Han Jung Woo. Detective.” Joy begins to snicker at the title.

 

 

During the drive home, Joy apologizes for making fun of him. She opens the car window and rests her head against the window, enjoying the breeze. Looking at her, Jung Woo is reminded of young Soo Yeon.

As they pass by the Han River, Joy notices a café and wishes that they could drink some tea there.

At home, Harry picks up the broken pieces of glass that Joy left behind. He notices that Joy is back with Jung Woo driving.

Jung Woo hands her the car keys, but Joy opens her palms, asking for Jung Woo’s number since she’s lost her phone. She wants to go to that café by the river with him, because she needs a friend while in Seoul.

 

 

Jung Woo rejects the idea and starts to walk away when Joy yells out, “How about being my secret friend?”

This stops Jung Woo in his tracks as a memory from their past is triggered.

Jung Woo rejects it again, saying he doesn’t like having secret friends. Joy continues to push his buttons, saying all she needs is one friend.

This causes Jung Woo to turn around in anger and confusion as Joy smiles at him, continuing to .

When she leaves, Jung Woo yells at her, asking who she is and why she’s doing this to him.

Just then, his cell phone rings again. It’s the kidnapper-karaoke owner. He starts cursing at Jung Woo, who warns the kidnapper saying he’s in the mood to kill so be careful. But the kidnapper continues to cry as Jung Woo is now completely annoyed.

Then all of a sudden, it hits him.

 

 

Joy goes home only to almost be run over by Harry, who is riding his bicycle indoors. She worries that Harry will fall with his bum leg and she gets angry when he lies that there are no brakes.

Harry sends her an adorable smile and asks where she went. Joy’s face falls. Harry adds that it’s good to see her well again. He asks about her phone – she lost it. He also informs her that he got rid of the swimming pool after Nurse Hyemi died.

That’s why he’s on the bicycle instead, to exercise. “I have to be healthy in order to protect you.”

Then out of the blue, Joy confesses that she met Han Jung Woo.
Harry gets lost in thought and falls off his bicycle. Joy rushes to his side and the first thing out of Harry’s mouth is, “Let’s get married.”

Joy is surprised and replies, “Later,” but Harry is eager.
“Then let’s get engaged.”

 

 

Harry has been thinking about it since he turned 18. He tells Joy that he can wait for marriage, but he wants to be engaged to her.

Joy then brings up Han Jung Woo.
“I didn’t meet Han Jung Woo because I liked it,” says Joy, who explains that she hoped Jung Woo would just leave, but instead he’s bothering her. “I want to torture him.”

Dazed, she talks about the face Jung Woo had when he left her. “I want all those people who remember that event to die.”

Harry calls her dumb. “You’re Joy. Not Lee Soo Yeon.”
Joy apologizes as Harry calls her Soo Yeon. She lifts her head up and Harry puts his head on her shoulder and cries silently. Joy apologizes.

Harry says to himself, “You can only use Han Jung Woo. You can do that right? You’ll do that for me, right?”

 

 

At that same moment, Jung Woo runs to the scene of the murder.

He bursts into the bathroom, where druggie-napper’s lifeless body lies in the bathtub. He screams at the dead body to spill where Soo Yeon is and that he warned the druggie-napper not to die.

 

 

A police report reveals that the druggie-napper died from hypothermia due to the excessive frostbite from the dry ice that was used.

Before the police meeting can continue, Jung Woo storms into the room, only to be kicked out by the corrupt chief of police (the same man who told Detective Kim to keep the unfair case under wraps).

Jung Woo is taken off the case as he is a murder suspect, despite Jung Woo trying to reason that he would not wait 14 years to just kill the druggie-napper like this.

 

 

Just then his team boss tells the partner to leave. Jung Woo yells at his team boss, saying he’ll catch the culprit even if it means he has to quit being a policeman.

In a calm voice, the team boss says that he still remembers 15-year-old Jung Woo who came to the station, begging for the police to find Soo Yeon.

“Do you know how embarrassed I was that day? That’s why, even now, I can’t yell at you...because I’m really embarrassed,” says the team boss. He continues saying that Detective Kim was his favorite senior officer and he wants to find the murderer of Detective Kim as well.

“I’ll do my best so please just trust me this one time.”
Jung Woo sighs through his tears, knowing that he has lost this round.

 

 

As his partner is trying to find Jung Woo’s alibi at the time of the murder, Jung Woo notices the cleaning lady eating the men′s leftover food.

He yells at her and announces that he’s been taken off the case and has time to buy her food.

While fixing her medical bandage for her wrist, Jung Woo finds out that the cleaning lady knows a lot about what goes on in the station. She decides to be Jung Woo’s spy to help him find out more about the murder.

 

 

The scene cuts to the corrupt chief of police in a car with CEO Han!

The chief informs CEO Han that Jung Woo has been taken off the case, but CEO Han is more interested in the murderer of the druggie-napper.

CEO Han arrives at his building, when he’s almost run over by a bicyclist. It’s Harry, who pretends to not know CEO Han.

CEO Han stares at Harry as if he sees Hyung Joon in him, but before he can be sure, CEO Han’s new assistant demands for an apology. CEO Han blows Harry off and starts to go into the building, when Harry stops him.

 

 

“I’m sorry,” says Harry. CEO Han doesn’t say anything as the assistant turns back to look at Harry one more time. Harry wipes the smile off his face and leaves.

Meanwhile, Joy is at home, reading about the murder of the druggie-napper. Just then, she receives an email from Fake Mom, who has taken paparazzi pictures of Joy and Harry in Jejudo.

Joy is angered and speechless by the woman blackmailing Joy to be her friend.

 

 

At the police station, Jung Woo is trying to hack into his partner’s password-protected computer.

‘Luxury Detective Joo’ is not the password. It’s been changed.
Jung Woo thinks hard and types in, ‘Luxury Luxury Detective Joo,’ and amazingly enough, Jung Woo gets in.

We also find out that Jung Woo’s partner’s name is Joo Jung Myung.

Jung Woo’s copying all of the case files into a USB drive when the cleaning lady comes in from the meeting with all the hot details.

The death of druggie-napper was a murder and Jung Woo’s disappointed because that was a given. But he does get one hint. There was a specific mark on the body of the druggie-napper and Jung Woo starts looking at the pictures of the dead body to find it.

He stares at the footprints that were left on the ground.

But before he can find anything, his colleagues come in and Jung Woo hurriedly leaves the office with the laptop, which isn’t even his.

 

 

On his way out, he runs into a dolled-up Joy, who excitedly exclaims that she found Jung Woo. His colleagues, who ran out to retrieve the laptop, see Joy. Partner Joo looks at Joy suspiciously.

Jung Woo brings coffee to Joy, when he sees her scraping the ground with her heels – a habit of Soo Yeon′s he′s seen many times.

As Partner Joo spies in the bushes, Jung Woo hands Joy a cup of coffee and proceeds to scrape the ground with his own foot, perhaps hoping that Joy would notice.

We’re not sure if she does, but Joy does bring her blackmail email to Jung Woo to check. She shows him the photos of her and Harry, which Jung Woo doesn’t like seeing.

Joy smirks, but explains the story behind it. She asks Jung Woo take care of it, which Jung Woo declines.

 

 

Joy then shows him the actual email and Jung Woo sees his stepmother’s name in the email. Jung Woo stares at her, wondering if Joy knows his stepmother (although Soo Yeon has never met Fake Mom as a child, so probably not).

Jung Woo says he’ll look into it and call her later, which causes Joy to write down her number in his hand.

Eun Joo creeps up on Partner Joo and asks what’s going on. Partner Joo takes this opportunity to ask Eun Joo if Joy looks like Soo Yeon.

Maybe out of jealousy or spite, Eun Joo says Joy does not look like Soo Yeon at all. Then without a word, Eun Joo walks up to Jung Woo, who greets her, calling her name.

Eun Joo’s name causes Joy to look up in alert.
Eun Joo excuses herself and hands Jung Woo dinner from Soo Yeon’s mom’s restaurant.

 

 

Quickly, Joy stares at the bag with the restaurant name on it as Eun Joo complains that she didn’t get sleep the night before because she was worrying about her only friend.

The words ‘only friend’ causes Jung Woo to look at Joy, who turns to leave. Before she goes, Joy adds that she told Harry about how she and Jung Woo were at the tent bar the night before.

Hearing that, Partner Joo tries to confirm if Jung Woo has a definite alibi. Ignoring his question, Joy leaves and Jung Woo chases after her without success.

Then he gets a text from Joy, who asks Jung Woo to join her at the Han River café because she wishes she could have even just one friend.

 

 

Meanwhile, Harry is at a bank to withdraw his money. The bank employee is shocked at the amount and goes to talk to her superior.

The news travels fast and it turns out it’s CEO Han’s bank that Harry’s trying to pull money out of, and not just any amount, but 5 billion won at one time.

The young assistant says the withdrawal is possible, but with an upcoming investment in Cambodia, they’re going to try to convince Harry to extend the period of withdrawal.

CEO Han orders for Assistant Nam to take care of it as Ahreum, who was in the office, begging Daddy to let her go backpacking, takes all the information in. Then CEO Han asks who the VIP customer is.

At that moment, Harry is addressed by Assistant Nam, who insists they go to a VIP room to talk, but Harry doesn’t budge, using his leg as an excuse.

Assistant Nam takes a seat next to Harry and asks what Harry is doing. Harry’s only doing this because Assistant Nam wanted money.

 

 

Assistant Nam tells Harry that he’s making things very complicated, but Harry doesn’t care. Instead, he asks Assistant Nam whose side he’s on – CEO Han’s or Harry’s.

As Assistant Nam says he’s not on any side but just needs money, Harry smoothly shushes him up, because Ahreum was trying to eavesdrop on her way out of Daddy’s office.

Harry warns Assistant Nam that he’s going to get caught by CEO Han before Harry even does. “Be careful,” says Harry.

 

 

Nervously, Joy has somehow found her way to the restaurant where her mother is working. Right at that moment, Soo Yeon’s mother comes out to say good-bye to a customer, making Joy hide.

A small smile appears as Joy hears her mom in high spirits, but Joy can’t hide her sadness and longing.

Inside the restaurant, Joy steals glimpses of her mom, happily serving the customers. Soo Yeon’s mom spots Joy and asks for her order, but then is distracted by a customer asking for the TV to be .

 

 

The TV turns on, only to show a report on the murder of the druggie-napper. The report highlights Soo Yeon’s death and the smile wipes off of Soo Yeon’s mother’s face.

Tears start to fill Joy’s eyes as Soo Yeon’s mother tries to keep up a bright face in front of the customers.

Soo Yeon’s mother changes the channel to a drama as Joy starts to cry silently. Then Soo Yeon’s mother mentions Eun Joo as her daughter, and Joy scoffs, leaving the restaurant.

 

 

As Joy leaves, Jung Woo comes to the restaurant.
He finds Soo Yeon’s mom glued in front of the TV set, which he thinks is weird since she hates TV.

He steps up closer to Soo Yeon’s mother and soon finds her with tears silently pouring out of her eyes.

Jung Woo calls Soo Yeon’s mother out to the playground during break time.

The first thing he does is switch shoes with her.

 

 

“Let’s walk around once, feeling each other’s warmth.”
Cheesy comment, Jung Woo style, but he’s actually trying to see how people walk when wearing shoes too big for them.

Soo Yeon’s mom tells Jung Woo to bring her the murderer of the druggie-napper, so she can thank him/her. Jung Woo shushes her, saying that the girlfriend of a detective shouldn’t say things like that (aw).

They continue to walk, when Soo Yeon’s mom slowly tells Jung Woo that they should stop now.

She tells him to go back to his family but come visit her once in awhile.
Jung Woo listens with a grim face, until he tells her that he saw someone who looks like Soo Yeon.

Soo Yeon’s mother freezes and immediately forgets everything she said a minute ago and asks where he saw her.

Jung Woo teases her, saying he won’t tell her. He encourages her to chase him around, so he can check the footprints made on the sand.

Soo Yeon’s mom starts to chase him around, stumbling with Jung Woo’s shoes.

 

 

The next thing we know, Jung Woo is running towards the café by the river. He receives a message from Joy, who says she’s on her way and to wait for her outside.

But Joy’s a dirty liar as she’s inside the café with Harry.

Amused, she tells Harry that she knew he would come.
Harry asks if Joy feels better after toying around with Jung Woo.

Drinking wine together, they stare down at Jung Woo, who waits in the cold for Joy.

 

 

They make a bet to see how long Jung Woo will wait. If Joy wins, they go back to France. If Harry wins, Joy marries him.

Joy says an hour, but Harry says 30 minutes. Then Harry calls Jung Woo to inform him that Joy is with Harry and asks Jung Woo to join them for dinner.

Jung Woo’s confused and slightly angered, but he waits.
Joy says Harry’s cheating in the bet, but Harry replies that Joy is the one who wanted see him tortured.

Closing in on 30 minutes, Jung Woo laughs at himself, wondering what he’s doing. He turns around and leaves.

Joy becomes disappointed.
“He hasn’t changed at all. He’s just as he was when he was 15.”

 

 

After unknowingly running away from Joy, Jung Woo heads to the druggie-napper’s house.

He scans every inch of the house and tries to look for clues but doesn′t find much. Then he peers into the washing machine, where he finds a toothpick wrapper from a Chinese restaurant.

Jung Woo fills his tummy as he talks to the restaurant owner, who spills that the druggie-napper ate a whole bunch of food but left without paying.

The owner remembers the druggie-napper muttering something about a car accident during his meal and how he gave her a business card to get the money for the food. The last thing she mentions is that the druggie-napper called a chairman.

Unfortunately for Jung Woo, the owner has thrown the business card away.

 

 

At the Han household, Ahreum spills important information to Fake Mom in exchange for money.

The man that they saw with Joy in Jejudo is her sponsor and also a VIP customer at CEO Han’s bank.

Fake Mom momentarily freaks out that she sent the blackmail pictures to Joy, but then realizes that if she secures Joy at her store, the sponsor will soon follow and all of their money worries will be over.

 

 

Meanwhile, Joy and Harry are talking about a party with Harry’s business partners. Joy suggests they have soju at the party, but Harry jealously rejects the idea, remembering Jung Woo and Joy at the tent bar.

Joy teases Harry, when Joy receives a new email from Fake Mom. She has Joy’s clothes set up at her shop.

 

 

Continuing his investigation, Jung Woo stops by the traffic control to inspect all the CCTVs around the prison and the Chinese restaurant to see the druggie-napper’s accident.

Luckily for Jung Woo, the traffic control recently replaced its old CCTVs with new and betters ones that can zoom in and out without a problem.

They find the druggie-napper and chase him around until Jung Woo finally spots the accident. Jung Woo closes in on the accident tape and sees Joy in the car.

 

 

The control panelist comments that Joy looks like she’s seen a ghost, just as the druggie-napper walks up to Joy’s car. Images of Soo Yeon in the past float in as he watches Joy’s reaction to the druggie-napper and Jung Woo begins to cry, replaying the incident in his head.

Jung Woo starts putting all the pieces together and finally realizes that Joy is Soo Yeon, as he stares at her number written on his hand.

He drives off somewhere.

 

 

Joy is at Fake Mom’s shop, angered by the fact that her clothes are displayed at the window.

Just then, Jung Woo pops out of nowhere (How did he know she was going to be there?)

He apologizes for being late, shielding Joy with Soo Yeon’s yellow umbrella. He comments that it’s supposed to rain.

Joy coldly replies that Harry is coming and dashes off, but Jung Woo chases after her.

 

 

He stops her again with a smile, saying they should go on that date to the café by the river. He grabs her wrist, but she pulls away.

“I’m getting engaged to Harry.”
Jung Woo points out that that means they’re not engaged yet.

“How much more did you lie about?”

Joy tries to leave, but Jung Woo stops her.
“Do you really hate me? Or are you pretending to hate me? I need to know the truth.”

Just then, Harry drives nearby and sees the two.

 

 

“It’s not fun being secret friends,” says Jung Woo as Joy stares intently.

“Let’s date secretly.”

He pulls Joy closer, alerting Harry.

Then the yellow umbrella covers Joy and Jung Woo’s faces, as the green tag from the umbrella blows in the wind.