Missing You Episode 9

Missing You

 

We’re brought back to when Jung Woo clearly sees Soo Yeon’s face in the black box video. He’s in denial, even though he can’t erase what his eyes just saw.

It takes him a while to settle his emotions down as he thinks back on their childhood together and how all the students hated Soo Yeon because she was the murderer’s daughter.

“It’s not me. I’m not going to kill anyone.”

Young Soo Yeon’s voice echoes in Jung Woo’s head as he opens his eyes.
Jung Woo starts to drive out of the parking lot, when an unidentified man runs right in front of his car and enters the stairwell. Jung Woo’s a bit freaked, but continues his way.

 

 

Outside, he starts dusting for fingerprints left by Joy when she was last in his car. It’s tough as the prints are overlapped or incomplete, but then he remembers how she slammed his door.

After examining the door, Jung Woo finally gets Joy’s print.

Meanwhile, the police squad is rushing out of the station after seeing the footage of Joy in the black box. Jung Woo calls his team boss and tells him that Joy is not the murderer. He says he’ll be taking care of her and to just wait.

But with no time to wait, the team locates Jung Woo’s car and heads towards where Joy is.

 

 

Leaving his handcuffs and gun in the glove compartment of his car, Jung Woo enters Harry’s party, with young Soo Yeon crying in his head that she won’t kill anyone.

“I know. I really know,” replies Jung Woo.

We return to the ending scene of episode 8.

Harry and Joy are surprised to see Jung Woo as one of their guests, but before they can address him, Jung Woo walks past Joy and to his father.

 

 

He greets CEO Han, but CEO Han ignores him, commenting that the party just got worse.

But when Harry addresses Jung Woo, CEO Han’s eyes light up in surprise.

Jung Woo wants to talk to Harry in private, but CEO Han is sick of waiting. Harry asks Jung Woo to wait and takes CEO Han to another room, leaving Joy and Jung Woo together.

 

 

As CEO Han gets straight down to business, Harry can’t help but to be distracted by Joy being outside with Jung Woo.

CEO Han would like to invest in Harry’s development plans in Cambodia. Harry replies that one of his investors actually postponed a payment.

He tells CEO Han to discuss the matters with his representative and quickly exits the room.

 

 

Back in the hall, Jung Woo scans Soo Yeon with longing eyes.
He calls her name inside his head as she tries to ignore him.

“Lee Soo Yeon.”

Joy stops and turns around to momentarily look at Jung Woo. She goes back to her party responsibilities.

A few moments later, Joy turns around once more but this time Jung Woo is not there and she starts to search for him, when he appears in front of her.

He puts his arms out and asks how he looks.

He introduces himself as Han Jung Woo, age 29, and Joy stares at him with his arms open wide.

 

 

It’s Joy’s turn to think about their past together.

“Don’t cry. You’re crying because of the wind right? Because it hurts your eyes?”

Joy looks up at Jung Woo, as his phone vibrates.

It’s a text message from Partner Joo, who warns Jung Woo not to do anything stupid and that they’re on their way over.

As Jung Woo realizes that he doesn’t have much time left, Joy leaves abruptly, calling Harry.

Jung Woo chases after her and steals her phone. He tells Harry that he’s taking Joy for now.

 

 

Joy fights back, but Jung Woo holds her down and explains that she’s a murder suspect.

Joy’s confused until Jung Woo mentions the druggie-napper’s name and that her face appeared in the black box video.

Shocked, Joy weeps, “It’s not me.”

“I know.”

Joy wants to go and find Harry but Jung Woo stops her again, saying there’s no time. When the police arrive, she’ll be immediately arrested. “I don’t want to put handcuffs on your hands.”

 

 

He begs her to come with him and just trust him, but Joy continues to call out for Harry.

Harry manages to appear on time and gives her a reassuring hug as she starts to cry that it wasn’t her.

Harry asks what Jung Woo is doing, but before Jung Woo can peep out another word, the police squad appears behind him.

Jung Woo takes Joy’s hand and painfully arrests her.

 

 

Harry tells Joy not to worry. “You trust me right?”
Joy nods her head, putting another bullet through Jung Woo’s heart.

His eyes fill with tears as he tells the squad that he’s taking Joy. “I’m not letting her go anymore.”

He firmly holds onto Joy’s wrist and glares at Harry, who has no choice but to let her go. Jung Woo takes Joy out of the hall, as Harry watches, hating himself.

 

 

CEO Han returns home and asks Assistant Nam to find out more about Joy since she was arrested that night. Something annoys CEO Han, knowing that Joy was somehow related to the murder of the druggie-napper.

Assistant Nam promises to look into Joy before meeting Harry again, and CEO Han warns him again, telling him to do his job correctly or else.

As soon as Assistant Nam leaves CEO Han’s office, Fake Mom checks to see if they’re scheduled to meet with Joy and Harry. Assistant Nam replies there’s a positive response and Fake Mom sends Assistant Nam off with a satisfied smile.

Seeing her mom’s pathetic ways of working, Ahreum warns her mom from trusting Assistant Nam, because he can easily betray her. Glad to know someone is smart in this family.

Fake Mom tells Ahreum to throw away the bear Jung Woo got for her. “Don’t you know he’s only good to you because he wants our family money?”

After bickering about Jung Woo supposedly trying to take the money, Ahreum rolls her eyes, ashamed of her dumb mom and her greed. Ahreum comments that this is why Jung Woo still hasn’t come home, because Soo Yeon’s mother is so good to him.

 

 

Cue to Soo Yeon’s mom, who is mopping the floor. Something bothers her chest and she calls Eun Joo to check on Jung Woo. Eun Joo’s reluctant because she’s still annoyed with Jung Woo, but Soo Yeon’s mom insists, because if she does, then Jung Woo will just worry.

Eun Joo calls but there’s no answer.

“He must be talking with the fake,” replies Eun Joo.
Soo Yeon’s mom asks what this ‘fake’ is, and Eun Joo bitterly says that there’s a fake copy of his first love that doesn’t even look like her.

Soo Yeon’s mom is confused, but quickly erases the thought and calls Partner Joo. He’s busy and has to hang up quickly.

 

 

Jung Woo stops the car across the street from the police station.
He tells Joy that even though she doesn’t want to do anything with him, she needs to listen to him.

He hands her a jacket that he rarely lets people borrow.
“I put an invisible cape spell on this jacket.”

Hearing that, Joy becomes surprised.

He tells her to put it on because there will be a lot of reporters at the station and she has to enter discreetly. He exits the car for her to put it on, but Joy’s mind is somewhere else.

Young Soo Yeon starts to read from her diary.

 

 

Jung Woo, what is your dream?
What do you want to be when you’re big?
I don’t have any dreams, but there is something I want to be.
An invisible person. I want to be an invisible person.
So that no one can see me. So no one can hate me.
But... only you can see me.
Even though no one can, Lee Soo Yeon will always be seen through Han Jung woo’s eyes.
It’s because I changed the spell for the invisible cape a little bit.
Everyone except Han Jung Woo!


Joy starts to shed tears as she fingers the jacket.

Jung Woo opens the door and Joy quickly brushes her tears away.

She exits the car without the jacket, but Jung Woo pulls it out and puts it on her, reminding her that there will be reporters at the station.

 

 

Just then, the cleaning lady comes to greet the two.
She tells them the whole place is covered with reporters.

The cleaning lady asks Jung Woo if Joy is that girl and Jung Woo nods his head. The cleaning lady shakes her head at him, reminding him that he shouldn’t risk his life for other people.

But the cleaning lady adds that she’s not responsible if Joy runs away, since her wrist is still weak and she can’t catch Joy.

Jung Woo urges them to go as Joy hesitantly follows the cleaning lady to the station and looks back at Jung Woo once.

Jung Woo watches Joy go, as young Soo Yeon’s voice is heard in his head.

If the wind tickles you, it means that I’m calling your name.
When the wind blows, put out your hand.
The wind is passing by, right?
That means that I’m holding your hand tightly.
Even if your eyes hurt, don’t cry.
I’ll always be by your side.
The invisible person only visible to Jung Woo,
Lee Soo Yeon.

 

 

As the cleaning lady said, the station is packed with reporters asking for more information.

The cleaning lady leads Joy away from the pack, but Joy can’t help but to look nervous. Seeing how frightened Joy is, the cleaning lady asks, “You didn’t kill him, right?”

Before Joy can answer, the cleaning lady adds, “If Jung Woo says you didn’t, then you didn’t.” She tells Joy that she has Jung Woo saved up to be her son-in-law, so Joy better not have her eyes on him.

But even the small talk isn’t calming Joy down.

“Just between us, killing a guy like that isn’t even a crime,” says the cleaning lady. “If I was the mother of the girl who was attacked by him, I would set up a meal for the murderer.”

Joy gets all teary-eyed as the cleaning lady compliments Joy on her beauty.

“You’re the first person I know that’s prettier than my daughter, so don’t cry.”

Joy nods and walks after the cleaning lady.

Joy’s feet are zoomed in, but it’s unclear whether or not Joy still has the scar on her foot.

 

 

Inside the interrogation room, Joy shakes in fear as the team boss gives her no slack, even with Partner Joo tell him to be nicer. Partner Joo gives her a cup of coffee to drink to calm down and Joy’s hand shakes as she reaches for it.

Partner Joo and the team boss exchange glances. They’re hoping to get fingerprints. But her nervousness makes Joy not reach for the cup.

As Jung Woo sprints into the station, the questions get harder and harder for Joy and at the last moment, she grabs onto the cup, much to Partner Joo and the team boss’ satisfaction.

 

 

Before Jung Woo can barge into the room, Harry calls out Jung Woo, who asks when their lawyer is coming. Harry demands to know what’s going on, and Jung Woo reminds Harry about the car accident and explains that the man stole Joy’s cellphone and Joy is somehow in the black box video.

Frightened, Harry stutters that their lawyer is coming...from Hong Kong.

Jung Woo yells at Harry to do something more than just waiting for their lawyer, since Harry can’t do much to drag out the situation.

Harry shouts that he doesn’t understand, since Joy has no reason to kill the druggie-napper.

Jung Woo looks at Harry for a while, realizing that Harry doesn’t know about Soo Yeon’s . Jung Woo tells Harry to do all that he can to take her out of the station and Jung Woo will find the real murderer.

As Jung Woo leaves, Harry grabs his cane in anger.

 

 

Inside the interrogation room, the team boss is going at it, yelling at Joy with evidence that all point to Joy as the murderer. Joy still remains silent, as she cries.

Her phone call with the druggie-napper has Joy shaken, as the team boss asks why Joy went to the the druggie-napper’s house.

Just then, Jung Woo bursts in to save the day. He tells his team boss that he’ll do the questioning and he’ll make sure to do it correctly in order to find the druggie-napper’s murderer.

Joy continues to be reminded of the terrible night 14 years ago and the druggie-napper’s face keeps appearing.

 

 

With her eyes closed, Joy slowly whispers, “What’s the problem? It’s a good thing he’s dead.”

Jung Woo and the team boss both turn their heads.

Joy continues to ask why everyone’s so stressed out that they couldn’t find the real murderer. “Isn’t it a good thing he’s dead?”

Jung Woo tells Joy to watch what she’s saying, since everything’s recorded.

“I saw it in the newspaper. The young female student,” says Joy, appearing as if she’s been possessed. “He assaulted her and then dumped her. A bastard like that should be dead.”

Jung Woo continues to watch Joy as tears gather in his eyes.

“Am I the only one who thinks that?”

 

 

The team boss then receives a phone call from Partner Joo, who reveals that Joy’s fingerprint doesn’t match up with Soo Yeon’s fingerprint, which was found in the abandoned van years ago.

Harry waits outside, feeling hopeless as he can’t do anything to protect Joy.

It’s just Joy and Jung Woo in the interrogation room now.
Joy is slowly writing up her statement. Jung Woo reminds her that she can’t leave until her statement is done or she answers his questions truthfully.

As she writes her statement, Joy is reminded of another letter she wrote to Jung Woo.

To Han Jung woo.
If I wasn’t the daughter of a murderer, would we have been friends?


Then she remembers what Jung Woo said.

Lee Soo Yeon, the daughter of a murderer. Be friends with me.

She looks up at Jung Woo with sad eyes as he flips through the paperwork and looks at her watch.

Jung Woo asks Joy if she is okay, and Joy slams her pen down. She suggest that they just talk.

 

 

He reminds her again that everything’s recorded so she should watch what she says.

“You wish I was Lee Soo Yeon, huh? Then you wouldn’t have to go through all this annoying process since I would just be the murderer.”

Jung Woo watches her in silence, as Joy says it’s why Jung Woo kept coming to her, asking if she was Soo Yeon and to say his name. “Were you testing me out? To take me away if I was Lee Soo Yeon?”

“The daughter of a murder. The woman who was assaulted. If I was Lee Soo Yeon, you wouldn’t need to find any other evidence, right? Detective Han?”

After staying mum through all of Joy’s speculations, Jung Woo finally opens his mouth to scold Joy on being so skewed.

“Do all murderer’s daughter kill people? Just because a person was assaulted, doesn’t mean that person goes and kills other people.”

Joy watches with shaky eyes as Jung Woo echoes what she once said in the past.

“Soo Yeon... Soo Yeon would never kill anyone.”

 

 

Joy lets out a short gasp and swallows hard.

Then with cold eyes, she replies, “If I was Lee Soo Yeon, the first person I would kill is you.”

Tears glisten in Jung Woo eyes, but he replies in a flash.

“ Even if you kill me, I hope that you are Lee Soo Yeon.”

Joy and Jung Woo finally let the tears flow as they stare into each other’s eyes.

Jung Woo cuts the eye contact short and tells Joy to finish up the statement.

The team boss enters to inform Joy that she’s free to go. Harry has contacted all of his lawyers and even had the French Embassy promise that Joy would not run away.

Jung Woo leaves the rest of the questioning to the team boss. He tells Joy that she did well and leaves the room. Joy continues to cry.

 

 

Soo Yeon’s mom makes her way to the police station with a food prepared for Jung Woo. She wraps it in her jacket, not wanting it to get cold.

Joy is finally released from questioning and calls out for Harry, who looks up at her with a faint smile. As Jung Woo watches from afar, Harry reaches out for Joy’s hand.

“Let’s go home.”

Joy finally smiles as tears start to form again in Jung Woo’s eyes.
Harry meets eyes with Jung Woo and he turns around.

Harry and Joy leave the other way, when Joy suddenly hides her face behind Harry. Soo Yeon’s mom is standing at the corner, watching Jung Woo in worry.

 

 

Just then, Soo Yeon’s mom sees Harry and Joy walk by.

For a second, Soo Yeon’s mom and Joy meet eyes with each other, and suddenly flashes of young Soo Yeon’s face burst into her head.

Harry’s lawyer finally arrives to take care of the police work and Harry and Joy finally leave with Soo Yeon’s mom still watching Joy with surprised eyes.

As Soo Yeon’s mom tries to understand who she just saw, Jung Woo chases after Joy and Harry.

 

 

He watches Joy in the car, still frightened.

“Soo Yeon, just like the scar on your foot, whenever you see me, you’re in pain, right? I’m sorry. I’ll wait for you.”

He reaches towards her and waves his fingers around.

“It’s all erased. Your bad memories.”

 

 

Joy and Harry arrive at their house, to find everything a mess.

Harry tells her not to worry, because the police called in advance that they would be looking for her cellphone.

Harry puts the blame on himself, saying it was he who caused the accident. He regrets that he didn’t send her off to France when she first came to Seoul.

He urges her to go back to France, even if she’s taking bad memories with her.

Joy starts to head to her room, when Harry calls her Soo Yeon, and she freezes.

“Good night. Joy.”

A bit startled, but Joy wishes him a good night and heads into her room.

 

 

She tries to clean up the mess in her room, when she’s reminded of what she said to Jung Woo about wanting to kill him.

“Even if you kill me, I hope that you are Lee Soo Yeon.”

Jung Woo’s words suddenly stab her straight into her heart and she starts to cry her heart out.

Outside her door, Harry listening in pain, once again unable to do anything for her.

 

 

Back at the police station, Harry matches up Joy’s fingerprint with Soo Yeon’s fingerprint in her diary. It’s a match.

He takes Joy’s cellphone and is setting a new alarm, when Soo Yeon’s mom comes in with the packed food.

Jung Woo is happy to see her, wondering how she knew that he wanted to see her more today.

He gives her a hug, asking what his honey did today.

For once, Soo Yeon’s mom accepts the hug, bringing him closer to her.

 

 

Jung Woo’s surprised and Soo Yeon’s mom uses the coldness as an excuse.
“Oh really? You’re going to use that excuse to hug me longer?”

Soo Yeon’s mom weeps silently.

Jung Woo stuffs himself with the delicious meal that Soo Yeon’s mom prepared for him. Every so often, Jung Woo sticks his spoon out for Soo Yeon’s mom to put side dishes on top.

 

 

Soo Yeon’s mom eyes Soo Yeon’s diary on the table, and Jung Woo grabs it and hides it inside his jacket. “It’s mine. It’s evidence.”

Soo Yeon’s mom is curious and Jung Woo replies, “When I find Soo Yeon later and she pretends not to know me, ‘Hey! You did all this and you pretend to not know me?’ I’m going to do that!”

He smiles at Soo Yeon’s mom, who turns away and tells him to eat. “But then again, she wouldn’t pretend not to know me right?”

 

 

Then he shares that Soo Yeon used to walk backwards, so that she could see his handsome face. He weakly smiles as tears start to form in his head.

“You saw when I first came to eat dinner, right? How she could only look at my face,” says Jung Woo, not making eye contact with Soo Yeon’s mom to hide the tears.

“So don’t worry. Soo Yeon will definitely return because of me, because she’ll want to see me so much.”

 

 

“So I’m going to wait...”

The tears finally drop, one by one, as Jung Woo turns the subject back to the food. Soo Yeon’s mom watches, tears in her own eyes as well.

It gets harder and harder for Jung Woo to swallow his food as he becomes so overcome by emotion. Soo Yeon’s mom wipes his tears away.

 

 

Meanwhile, Harry is in his secret lair, chatting with someone named ‘friend.’

Harry writes to not worry about Joy, because she’s strong and can handle it.

Friend: It’s a good thing I switched out the fingerprints.
Harry: Of course. I’m starting to get angry.
Friend: Don’t be mad. When you’re mad, you’re scary.
Harry: Either way, we have to quicken the process. I thought about making Han Tae Jun starve to death, but now I’m going to make him stuff himself with everything and die.
Friend: Do you mean you’re going to give him money?
Harry: He’s not a person to sit still after seeing Joy get arrested... Give him some money, blind him with it, then finish him off.

After the chatting session is complete, Harry erases the chat history and then watches the police look for Joy’s phone from earlier that day.

 

 

Partner Joo arrives at Soo Yeon’s mother’s house to take some kimchi back to the station.

He’s so excited about the kimchi that he plans on marrying a kimchi-making woman who is pretty, smart, adorable, kind, and on top of that, has a really nice body. Yeah, he’s never going to get married.

Changing the subject, Soo Yeon’s mom talks about the druggie-napper’s murderer and brings the topic to Joy. She asks where a rich girl like her would live, and Partner Joo starts to describe the luxurious house she lives in.

“You go to Gangnam and ask about the biggest house there, people will all know.”

After getting the information she needs, Soo Yeon’s mom takes the kimchi away and tells him to go to the station.

 

 

At the station, the team boss asks to check for photos taken at the bank. Jung Woo bursts in with the said photos and shares his findings. The team boss asks about the IP address of where the murderer ordered the dry ice.

Jung Woo has an answer for that as well, saying he put in a request for it.

The team boss yells at Jung Woo to go sleep and stop being so obsessed with the case, since it’s not even Soo Yeon.

Jung Woo replies, “What should I do? I fell in love with her.”

 

 

At that moment, Harry appears in the back. It’s uncertain whether or not he heard Jung Woo.

Jung Woo takes Harry into the interrogation room to chat. He asks Harry if the room is intimidating, but Harry says he wanted to come once, since it was where Joy was yesterday.

Jung Woo asks about Joy and Harry reveals that she cried a lot. “She doesn’t cry usually.”

Jung Woo replies that he feels guilty, and Harry adds, “I said it to make you feel guilty.”

But Harry says that he still doesn′t hate Jung Woo and that he wants the three of them to be friends.

Jung Woo repeats the word ‘friends’ and says it’ll be hard.

“Because I fell in love with Joy.”

 

 

Harry shakes his head, laughing that Jung Woo’s not allowed to do so.

Jung Woo reassures Harry that it’s just a crush, but Harry sighs. “Is that a declaration of war? I get scary when I’m mad.”

Harry asks if Jung Woo still thinks Joy is Lee Soo Yeon.

“Other than her face being different, give me one reason why she’s not,” replies Jung Woo. Harry scoffs, slowing growing angry.

 

 

After asking about the biggest house in Gangnam, Soo Yeon’s mom finds herself standing in front of the giant gates of Harry’s house.

Joy is on her way out to meet someone and drives down the driveway, as Soo Yeon’s mom turns around.

Joy finally sees Soo Yeon’s mom and she freezes where she is.
Soo Yeon’s mom walks closer to the car. Joy tries to hide, but Soo Yeon’s mom continues to walk closer.

 

 

Finally, Joy looks up and meets eyes with her mother after 14 years and almost instantly, Soo Yeon’s mom starts to cry.

“It is....right? You are...”

Joy’s eyes fill with tears as she watches her mother starting to shake in tears.