.03

Paradise In Hell

 

Hoya had stomped into the kitchen. Throwing his plate into the sink. He was tired. Terribly tired from all the paperwork he had to do because some jackass has lost the previous work. That meant more work for him. 
 
JiAh was in the room, as usual. But he didn't care. He rarely ever talked to her and when he did, he was usually him yelling, bashing, or complaining towards her. They had little to no conversations on the daily basics at all. 
 
She didn't fight back though. She would always nod and apologized. In all honestly JiAh scared him. She held no emotions sometimes and whenever she did it always fell into a sad pout. 
 
He remembered the other day, when he had finished taking a shower. He had found her staring out the window. Eyes plain and blink of emotions and her lips falling into a frown. 
 
He didn't get the woman. He didn't have to get her. She was nothing to him but a leech he wanted to pry away. 
 
He froze before he was able to turn and go to their bedroom. A small cupcake sat in the corner of the counter. White and blue characters of icing popped into his eyes. 
 
'Happy Birthday'. 
 
Those two words read into his mind. Birthday? Whose birthday was it? He knew of no one whose birthday was today. 
 
"Oh, you're still here. I thought you were in the shower." JiAh remarked standing by the corner of the kitchen. She had on a pair of shorts and a tank top. Her hair fell messily across her face. 
 
He was a man and he had to admit his wife was a beauty. That was one of the reasons he agreed to this ed up marriage. 
 
She had that kind of pretty where she didn't have to try at all. She was already beautiful. Jet black hair that fell a little below her neck, large hazel eyes, pouty pink lips, and porcelain skin. 
 
And he had to mention that she had an amazing figure. Though he didn't always remember all of it, there were nights when he would come crashing in through the door, drunk as . 
 
He could remember climbing into bed in his drunk state and pulling her on top of him where he'll have his way with her body. The next morning the after taste of her skin lingered onto him. 
 
"You gonna eat this?" He questioned holding up the single cupcake. She stared at it for a second. 
 
"Did you want it?" She asked softly. He didn't answer but simply stuff the cupcake in his mouth, off the frosting on his lips and walked away, blushing pass her. Her facial expression laid blink but her eyes were slowly filling up with pain and agony. 
 
JiAh sighed and waited for the bathroom door to close before descending to her room. Next to her drawls she pulled out a small box. 
 
With hesitation she slowly opened the box. It was her most prized possession filled with all her memories. She felt like the world was reliving itself in her eyes as she sorted through the array of pictures and mementos. 
 
She finally found what she was searching for and pulled it out. A small picture. A little girl with a big goofy grin showed up. 
 
She was standing next to a younger boy. One with identity facial features. They stood in front of a cake. Smiles lined their faces. At the bottom of the picture in purple marker were a string of characters. 
 
'Noona will protect you.' It read in mix-matched messy letters written by the girl. The date embedded by the side. 
 
"Noona's sorry she couldn't protect you. Happy Birthday, little brother." She mumbled looking down at the picture. The picture began to blur as thick tears overwhelm her sight. A single drop of salty liquid dropped from her eyes falling onto the corner of the photo. 
 
She sighed leaning against the wall and putting the picture down next to her. She slowly closed her eyes as more tears spilled down the canvass of her angelic face. 
 
"What kind of fool still celebrates her dead brothers birthday?" She muttered to herself.
 
A wave of exhaustion overtook her rendering her the ability to even get up and move to the bed. Before she knew it she was already sleeping. 
-- 
He looked down at the picture next to her. Picking it up he noticed a wet droplet on the corner of the photo. There stood a little girl. The little girl had the same large eyes as JiAh as well as the heart-shaped face and cute straight nose. 
 
Next to her a younger boy with similar features. His eyes closer set, his face more oval but still, the two looked alike. 
 
'Noona will protect you.' It read at the bottom in characters that looked like they were written by a eight year old. 
 
On the corner was a date. The month and date matched today's date. 
 
Hoya moved his eyes from the photo to his wife's sleeping image. Sleeks of dried tears fell down her face as her eye lids dropped shut. She had been crying 
 
"Its your brother's birthday." He whispered to her sleeping self as he unconsciously moved his fingers to her bangs that had fallen over her eyes, pushing them aside. 
--
 JiAh squirmed when she felt a pair of arms moving her body. Her eyes half shot open and she looked around. "Keep sleeping." A deep voice told her. She knew the owner of the voice, it was none other than her husband. She felt him dropping her body into the bed as he tucked her in. 
 
Her eyes remained closed through she could feel his every move. He then got into bed as well, she felt the bed shift as he added his weight onto the bed.
 
She listened to his breathing before she was positive he was a sleep before she rose out of bed.
 
Picking the photo from the floor she put it back in the box and set it aside, back in her drawls. 
 
"Noona's sorry." She whispered as another drop of tear fell from her eyes.