.21

Paradise In Hell

 

"What are you scare of hyung?" Kyungsan asked as the two stepped outside. The winter wonderland was beginning to melt. The snow melted, the grounds we're mushy with mud and the grass could be seem now. Hoya however was still stuck in the winter he had created for himself. The winter that trapped him.

"I'm scare of a lot of things."

"That's good. People need to be scare, or else how would they overcome their fears." Kyungsan responded as he stepped ahead of Hoya by a few paces.

"Hyung, did you talk to him?" Kyungsan asked and both knew who he was mentioning. Hoya nodded with a sense of approval set on him. He felt proud of himself.

"I talked to my father." He answered and watched as a grin grew on Kyungsan's face. This was one of the many steps Hoya had set up for the change he intended to take. Hoya and his father were never closed. They never mentioned each other, they never talked about each other, they didn't see each other. It was like the father and son pair were strangers to each other. They were in fact, they were well off as strangers.

So the conversation between the two was awkward, extremely awkward. But the consequences of a short decent conversation made up for the awkward pauses and short exchange of words.

"So, what's next?" Hoya asked the eight year child who was guiding him out of hell. Kyungsan turned back to him and with a innocent pout, shrugged.

"I don't know. What do you think is next?" Kyungsan questioned before turning around and walking ahead. No more words were exchanged.

What was next?

"Kyungsan, did you want me to drop you off to the orphanage today?" Hoya asked once they returned home. Kyungsan's eyes lit up and Hoya already knew the answer to his question.

"Come on, I'll drive. Maybe this time I could go say hi. My mother's been keeping a low profile lately. I need to see what's storming about in that head of hers." Hoya spoke, oblivious to how Kyungsan's body became stiff. Kyungsan turned towards his hyung and narrows his brows.

Was his hyung ready for this? Was his noona ready for this?

--

Hoya's eyes glanced back and forth as he walked down the familiar hallway. The last time he was here was that night. The night the old care taker died. The night he lost JiAh. No, that wasn't true. He didn't lose JiAh that night, he never had her in the first place. He couldn't lose her because she was never his.

His eyes fell onto his shoes as his steps came to a sudden stop. His heart felt like it had been lodged into his rib cage. His heart was bending and twisting, daring to break on him, yet never breaking.

He exhaled deeply as he closed his eyes. He was so tired, so exhausted. But he couldn't give up. Not if it meant giving up on JiAh. He chuckled at that thought. He didn't even know what to do. What was he to do? She ended it. She had every right to end it. In fact, she should had ended it sooner. Maybe that would had saved them from this heart break.

He slowly turned around, preparing to go back to the playroom where he left Kyungsan with the other children.

But apparently today, the world had different plans for him because the second his eyes glanced up he collided with the one person who he had been yearning for.

"I'm sorry." JiAh apologized. She was so deep in her thoughts she wasn't paying attention to where she was going. That seemed to happen too offend these days. Her thoughts. They clouded her mind in a thick fog where she couldn't see the path in front of her.

"JiAh." That voice. That voice was all too familiar to her. Her eyes flickered towards the source of that voice. She felt her entire body go numb as everything around he froze.

In a flash she was surrounded by strong arms as Hoya pulled her into a hug. Her face fell into his chest and she felt his body relax as his scent filled her senses. He found her.

She didn't know how long they stayed there. She didn't try to release herself from his strong grip. She learned not to. She could tell that his eyes were closed and his face was contorted into a look she couldn't decipher.

"How angry are you?" Were the first words that left her lips. Hoya's eyes snapped open. He realized at that moment that he had missed hearing her voice. Her voice that was like a symphony of angels trapped in ice. It was beautiful, alluring, cold, distant.

He pulled away from her letting his eyes meet hers. That look hadn't changed a bit. Her eyes remained distant and dead. But it wasn't her eyes that caught his attention. It was her words. Angry? She expected him to be angry. Of course she did, he had never shown her any thing other than anger. Of course she would assume that.

"I'm not angry. Not at all." He stated and he noticed her flinch. Disappointment laced every bone in his body. Not disappointment at her, but at himself. Was he really this horrible to her?

"Why? Why didn't you leave?" He asked. That question was lingering his thoughts and he needed to get it out. His gaze on her didn't fall and she returned the gaze with leveled eyes. The two were standing a few inches from each other. A million thoughts that ran in every direction contaminated Hoya's mind.

"I did." The answer came out dried.

"No you didn't." He shot back. He thought that she had left, that she had found something better, someone better. He assumed she had found her happiness. But here she was, still here where she started. The orphanage she was put into.

She didn't say anything afterwards. They just stared at each other as their thoughts collided. What were they to do? The cards were laid out, the deals were made, nothing was left between them but pain.

"Hyung. Noona." Kyungsan called shifting their attention to the boy standing at the end of the hall. "Noona, they're looking for you." Kyungsan said. JiAh, using this opportunity left. Her footsteps were unstable. Once away she finally let out that breath of air she had been holding as she collapsed onto the ground. She slid down on the wall as she placed her hand above her chest. Her heart was bursting open.

There meeting was jaw droppingly anti climatic. If this was a movie and this was the it would be a let down. But that was what made it them. That's what made it Hoya and JiAh. It wasn't Hollywood, it wasn't magic, it wasn't fireworks, it wasn't anything star worthy. It was just them. Simple, yet so chaotic.

"Are you mad hyung?"

"You knew didn't you?" Hoya questioned. Kyungsan nodded his head. Kyungsan didn't look shameful, he didn't look guilty. In fact, the eight year old looked proud.

"Why?" If Kyungsan knew, why did he let Hoya walk into this building today knowing he would see JiAh.

"Because I think you're ready hyung. I just don't think noona is. Maybe its your turn to guide her now."

"That's crazy. I can't do it." Hoya mumbled. How was he supposed to help her when he couldn't even fix himself?

"You know what else is crazy. Taking advice from an eight year old. But that's what you're been doing for the last few weeks. What makes this any less crazy?"