.26

Paradise In Hell

 

"What are you doing?" He asked, watching JiAh unpack some bags.

"Grocery." She answered dryly as she turned away from him. She had been rather cold to him, no, she had always been cold, but today and yesterday were different. Every question would be met with a three word answer, followed by silence.

Hoya hoped they had built up a relationship where the two could have a conversation without any one throwing a tantrum. He thought they were progressing.

"Did you need help?" He asked watching as she put some cans into the bottom drawls.

"No."

"Okay." He responded walking away from her. He sighed in disappointment. Kyungsan who was in the living room coloring looked up to him.

"Hyung, bring me back something from America, okay." Kyungsan requested.

"Of course."

"Hyung, I'm going to miss you. I'm going to miss you a lot." Kyungsan mumbled softly, it was obvious he was going to miss his hyung. 

"I'm going to miss you too, I'm going to miss both of you." He replied turning his shoulders to the woman in the kitchen.

--

He was leaving. Tonight.

For the last three days she had tried to make the smallest amount of contact possible.

She felt a hole burn through her stomach each time she pushed him off. Yesterday was the perfect example, he offered to help her put the grocery away. She flat out denied his offer to help. It had been that way for the last three days now. 

He was leaving. He could be gone for a good six months, and she didn't need his presence trapped in her memory. She didn't want to remember the last moments with him. 

The truth was that she didn't want to admit that Hoya was actually leaving. So she closed him off, and pretended like he didn't matter to her. 

"What are yo-"

"Just follow me." Hoya stated as he pulled her into the living area. She had been so wrapped up in her thoughts she hadn't realized he was standing behind her, watching her.

"What are you doing?" She gasped as he wrapped his strong arms around her waist. He started rocking back and forth, was he dancing?

He frowned before bringing her arms up and wrapping them around his neck firmly.

"You're leaving soon, you should be packing." She hissed softly, but he ignored her.

"I'm done, besides I want to dance here with you." He said to her. Her eyes looked up, wandering over his eyes, he examined her facial features down the slightest detail.

"Dance? Are you crazy? Besides there's no music." She stated and instantly regretted saying that. She should had broke free from his hold. But she didn't.

"We don't need music to dance." He said as the two began to move back and forth in the dimly lit living room.

Silence eloped the room after that, just the soft movement of their feet.

"I wanted to have another memory of you before I leave." He mumbled, "And I never got to dance with you. Not once." He stated. That was true. At their wedding they didn't have a couple dance, even with all the balls and parties they had been dragged to, they never did dance together. Not even when Sunggyu had purposely made Hoya ask JiAh to dance that one time, they never danced. Until now.

"...This is nice." She mumbled after a while. She could see his face lit up as if he was a child that had just gotten the Christmas present he asked Santa for.

"Just like your parents." He added, and the thought of her late parents entered her mind. She had wrote that in her journal. He was trying to recreate that. She inwardly smiled, knowing he was trying so hard to make her look past their dark past. She understood he was trying to be someone else, he was trying not to be the man who had hurt her. 

"I have something to give you" He said as removed his arms from her waist and walked over to the counter to pick up the familiar journal.

He walked back to her and placed the journal in her hand. It was the one she had left for him. She noticed that he had another journal in his hands, and by the looks of it, it was brand new.

"This time, start fresh." He said to her putting the brand new journal on top of her old one. He gave her a toothy smile as she stared in awe.

"Hoya." Dongwoo's voice broke their attention from each other. She forgot that Dongwoo had the front door key. She heard the bedroom door open as Kyungsan ran out.

"Dongwoo hyung, I want to go to the airport too. I want to see the planes." Kyungsan begged. Dongwoo would be dropping Hoya off at the airport. Hoya's flight was rather late, and Kyungsan had school the next day. So obviously both JiAh and Hoya rejected the idea of having Kyungsan be there to send Hoya off.

"Sorry kid, but Hoya and JiAh say no." Dongwoo replied. "But if you like, I can show you a real airplane this weekend at my family's country estate." He suggested giving JiAh a look to see if it was okay. She nodded giving the 'okay'. Kyungsan who was also looking to see JiAh's reaction shouted in delight.

"We should get going." Hoya interrupted. JiAh felt her breath hinge as he said the words. But she didn't say anything, she didn't do anything.

The first thing Hoya did as go over to Kyungsan, kneeling down he said something to Kyungsan. But JiAh didn't hear. She slowly stepped back, disappearing into Kyungsan's bedroom, unnoticed by the boys.

She left the bedroom door open just a peek, as she waited for the front door to shut. She mindlessly sorted through some of Kyungsan's toys, organizing them and putting them back into their rightful boxes.

"You know it won't matter. He'll just take them out again." Hoya revealed. She turned her shoulder back to face him before turning around again.

"What are you still doing here? Don't you have a plane to catch?" She questioned as she pulled one of the half empty toy box closer to her.

"I wanted to say good bye to you first." He said, and she could hear the sadness in his voice as if he was almost too scare to leave. He didn't want to leave at all, she realized.

"Well okay," She said turning her around to face him, "Good bye Hoya." She said plainly and heartlessly.

She swore she saw his frown deepen, even if he tried to hide it. And she felt her heart jump in pain seeing that look on his face. But she didn't want to show him that it hurts. She didn't want him to know that she was getting attached to him.

Things weren't that simple. It never was between them. And she didn't want him to know that maybe, perhaps, she would miss him.

"Good bye JiAh. Take care of Kyungsan, and yourself." Those were his last words before he walked away, leaving her alone once again.

And this time, she heard the front door shut.

--

"You okay man?" Dongwoo asked as the two waited for the plane. They were scheduled to begin boarding any time now.

"Watch over them." Hoya requested. He wanted someone to be looking over Kyungsan while he was gone, and more importantly, he wanted someone looking over JiAh.

He felt disappointed in himself that he didn't say anything. Maybe it was because of the way she made it seem like it was nothing. His leaving that was. In his eyes, she seemed like she didn't even care that he was leaving. And he would be lying if he said that it didn't hurt.

"I'll take care take of them. All the guys will." Dongwoo reassured. Hoya's attention shifted, noticing that his flight had began boarding.

"I guess this is it." Hoya mumbled, standing up and pulling his luggage as he prepared to leave.

"Hoya...why didn't you say anything...to JiAh. It took you all this time to get her back. Why didn't you say anything to her?" Dongwoo questioned. Hoya's eyes flickered with emotions.

"I didn't tell her, I wrote it instead."

--

"Noona, this is so yummy." Kyungsan told her as the two were eating breakfast. JiAh had woken up in bed today, the same bed she shared with Hoya, to a empty feeling. Her heart felt empty, and she knew the reason why. She just refused to admit it. She didn't even know when she began feeling this way. But it didn't matter now did it.

"Eat up Kyungsan, grow big and strong, okay." She said to the child watching him take a mouth full of food.

She shifted her eyes to the journal Hoya had given her. She opened the journal studying the clean, crisp page. She turned to the next blank white page, and the next.

Somehow she ended up on the last page of the journal. Her eyes widen at what she saw.

Hoya's writing. He had wrote something for her on the last page of the journal. Her eyes lowered and she felt a frown lit on her face. She bit her bottom lip as a wave of emotion crashed on her. She didn't take the time to read it, at least not now.

She slammed the journal set, and pushed it aside as her heart ached in pain. She bite deeper into her lower lip as she forced all the colliding emotions inside of her to disappear. Praying that she could hold it in longer and keep this strong act up.

She moved her eyes to Kyungsan who continued eating. She managed to put on her poker face and picked up her spoon.

The two ate in silence.

She jumped when Kyungsan slammed his spoon on to the table and looked up to her, "Noona, cry already." He begged knowing it was no good to keep it all inside.

And just like that, all the emotions she tried pushing aside, was finally released. So she cried, and she cried, and she cried.