♥ Ai: The Sincere One ♥

Lady Love
♥ Ai ♥
 
"Do you remember about Mr Lee Jihoon?" my father suddenly asked when we're having dinner together. My parents just arrived in Seoul this morning and I treat them for dinner tonight since it's been a year since the last time we met.
 
I stopped eating my spaghetti and tilted my head slightly, "The one who helped us when we're tricked?"
 
He raised his eyebrow and I continued without any interest, "And his son is my fiancee."
 
As the only children in my family, I did have the freedom to do whatever I wanted. My parents both lived in London and they never forced me to follow them to there since I wanted to stay in my homeland.
 
I was allowed to take the course at Le Cordon Bleu, which is the world's largest hospitality education institution. I graduated as a diploma of Cuisine and Pattiserie before I opened a small cafe, "Heart Garden".
 
There I could do two things I always loved to do: baking cakes and sweets plus helping people with love issues.
 
No, I was not the best in giving love advice but it felt overwhelming when I could see the person I helped to resolve their love problem. When they thanked me afterwards, it felt like it's the best thing that could happen to me.
 
Requester, I called them. When I saw their smiles, I felt happy for them. There were times I felt guilty when I saw their tears since they're rejected by their loved ones but they always told me they felt slightly better.
 
It felt good to help people. All of my previous requesters were good people. They agreed not to spread my real identity just so I could live my life as an ordinary person.
 
They would tell their friends or relatives who need help and the chain of life kept going on. Some of them became regulars for my cafe, some others sent me presents, and some others would help me whenever I needed something.
 
However there was one thing I couldn't help. I could help encouraging the requesters regarding love issues but I couldn't get rid of my engagement issue with this one guy I never met.
 
His father was a good friend of mine. He helped my family when we're tricked by scammers, causing us to lose almost all of our money. My father had nothing but me at the time so he proposed to Mr Lee that his son should marry me.
 
My parents had been really nice to me and there was no way I could refuse their request, even if that meant I lost my freedom in choosing love.
 
"Their business went bankrupt months ago and I helped them with some amounts of money," my father told me. "Guess what, Ai? Their son agreed to continue the engagement. Isn't it a good news?"
 
Why didn't he just refuse? I thought that but I just kept silence and smiled, "It is a good news."
 
It's okay, I told myself. He must be a good man and, who knew, if he was actually my destiny.
 
 
♥ ♥ ♥
 
 
I glance at the two guys who are talking with wide smile, sitting at one of the tables in my cafe. One is the guy who broke the hearts of my seven requesters while the other one is... my fiancee.
 
My father showed me his picture before so I could recognize him right away. It feels strange but I decided to deny that I actually know him.
 
The reason is pretty simple. He is in love with this girl named Hwang Miyoung, who apparently just rejected him cruelly. He is also my new requester, meaning I should help him.
 
Besides I believe everyone deserves to be loved and so does Joon. If his heart goes to Miyoung, what I should do is to let Miyoung see that the one who loves her truly is right in front of her.
 
It's not about my engagement or my parents' request. It's about Joon's heart and he must be honest with his heart's desire.
 
I walk to my kitchen and prepare another pastry which is my second best-selling pastry after strawberry shortcake, the apple struddle. I combine it with vanilla ice cream before I take a spoon of the ice cream for myself.
 
"Ai?"
 
My sense return immediately as I turn around to face Minhyuk. I just remember that his shirt is still soaked by the drink because of protecting me from the splash.
 
"Oh, apple struddle," he comments and leans closer to look at the sweet pastry. "A fresh one, I bet. Can I take a bite of it?"
 
"Yes, after you change your shirt," I retort while thinking about where I put the oversized T-shirt one of my requesters gave to me last month. I walk to the door, heading to my personal room, "Wait a minute here."
 
Before my hand could reach the door handle, Minhyuk grabs my wrist and spins me around. Our eyes meet and he suddenly reaches out his hand to touch my face, giving me a gentle smile, "It's okay, Ai."
 
"Lesson number seven, never let them do something they don't need to do just because you want them to," he uses his thumb to wipe away something at the edge of my lips. "There's ice cream. Did you try it by yourself?"
 
Heat creeps to my cheeks but I don't avoid his gaze. With his caring and gentleman attitude, no need to wonder why girls think he's into them... when, in fact, he is not. I used to him like this already.
 
Minhyuk lets go of my hand and returns his attention to the apple strudel, "Joon Hyung will definitely like it. He loves sweets."
 
Come to think of it, I haven't asked what his relation with Joon, "Hyuk, how did you meet Lee Joon?"
 
He looks back at me and answers simply, "At college. He is my senior."
 
"Ai, if you think it's too difficult, don't bother," he suddenly speaks. "I know you have more requests and work to do."
 
I shake my head and take the plate, "It's not difficult if I try to do it my best. Hwang Miyoung needs to know about how Joon loves him truly anyway."
 
Minhyuk's lips turn into a curve. He pats my head and comments, "You never feel difficult because you do everything sincerely, Ai. You're really a lady."
 
I return his smile and tell him to follow me outside. I don't know how to help Joon yet but, for now, I need to prepare a plan so Joon can win Miyoung's heart.
 
"I need to go out for a while," Minhyuk excuses himself when I put the apple strudel in front of Joon. "I need to call my brother. I'll be right back in five minutes."
 
My eyes fall on Joon and I study his gestures carefully. He actually answered 'yes' when Minhyuk asked if we knew each other. I guess he has seen my picture as well and he doesn't lie at all.
 
From his expression now, it's obvious that he doesn't mind that I lied. Perhaps he feels relieved that I don't refuse his request.
 
Awkward silence feels the air when I'm just alone with Joon. Feeling like he wants to say something, I open up the conversation first, "Is there anything you want to say?"
 
He flinches slightly before rubbing the back of his neck nervously, "Not really... I just... You really don't know me, do you?"
 
I close my eyes for seconds before answering him honestly, "Lee Joon. I know how our families help each other. I know how my father proposed me as his gratitudes towards your father. I know."
 
Joon drops his jaw but I cut his words even before he could start, "But all I know now is Lee Joon who is in love with Hwang Miyoung. And I need to help him. Can we just stick with that idea?"
 
"Err... Sure...," he looks uncertain. I heave a sigh and tell him to try the pastry since the ice cream starts to melt.
 
"Wow, what is this?!" Joon looks amazed just by the first bite of the apple strudel. He smiles wider and asks me, "Did you make it by yourself?"
 
"Does Minhyuk eat these kind cakes everyday?" Joon turns to the empty chair where Minhyuk sat before. "What a lucky boyfriend he is!"
 
Eh?
 
"Boyfriend?" I repeat the word, afraid that I actually misheard it.
 
Joon grins widely, "He is your boyfriend, right? That's why you didn't want to admit that you know me. It's alright, really. Besides if both of us have lovers, we can cancel the engagement. That's why you need to help me with Miyoung!"
 
To be honest, I never thought of that idea. If both Joon and I have boyfriend and girlfriend... Will our parents consider to cancel the engagement?
 
"You two actually look really good together," Joon takes another bite of the pastry. "And this apple stuff is really delicious."
 
I shrug away the idea in my head. Pushing aside the fact that I can live on my life without worrying the engagement stuff, all I need to do is to help Joon with Miyoung.
 
That's all.