♥ Joon ♥

Lady Love
♥ Joon ♥
 
I have lived in this world for twenty five years old without having a date with real girlfriend. Yes, not even once. Sure I had went out with different girls in the past but we're not in romantic relationships.
 
I was after them but looks like there are always reasons for them to turn me down, from a kind-hearted alibi till a very cruel one.
 
Just like what Hwang Miyoung just said to me.
 
"You can't be serious, right? I mean, yes, you're just an eye candy. What else do you have, Joon?" those words come from her and it feels like the world is colliding in front of me at the moment.
 
After I graduated, I work as a lecturer in drama class at local university. There I met Miyoung who is in charge for fashion class. She is beautiful and attractive and I was so happy when she agreed to go out with me.
 
As if it's a destiny, I found out that we were actually came from the same university but we never shared a same class since we came from different major. I felt like I should not ever give up on her so I kept doing my best until I thought it's the best to confess.
 
I did receive some warnings from my colleagues, saying that she doesn't look like as good as how she looks but I ignored them. I mean how could they say things like that when I'm in love with her?
 
True that I don't come from a wealthy family. I was. Once. But my family's business went bankrupt five years ago and I work as hard as possible so we can live on. I'm not really smart either, in fact some said I am a little bit slow.
 
But does Miyoung need to state the truth like that?
 
"You have no right to say that to him."
 
A soft voice interrupts my wandering mind. A girl with medium length hair stands in front of me. She has a serious expression and... have I ever seen her before?
 
I am in a middle of shock that I don't even move when Miyoung is going to throw her drink to the stranger. In a blink of eye, another person has appeared, protecting the girl from water splash.
 
Minhyuk. It's my cousin. His father is my mother's younger brother and we're really close when we're little.
 
Wait. The only reason I asked him to come here is to help me to meet Lady Love, the person who is famous for her encouragement in resolving love life issues.
 
I heard the rumors but I didn't really pay attention for them until today. I wanted to confess and I wonder if the rumors are true. Is Lady Love that reliable?
 
"Yo, Joon Hyung," my senses return when Minhyuk greets me. Miyoung has left and I am left with my cousin and the girl.
 
"Lee Joon," the somehow familiar girl states my full name. "L.J.. Are you going to ask my help so you can be with that girl?"
 
What kind of question is that? Is this the Lady Love everyone talks about?
 
"Joon Hyung," Minhyuk finally makes a quick introduction. "Meet Kim Ai. She goes with Lady Love as well."
 
"Eh? Ai?" I say it out loud, repeating the very familiar name. Did I just hear what I thought I heard? Kim Ai?
 
I never had a girlfriend but I can't really say that I'm single. Perhaps my status points out to 'engaged' instead of 'single'. But I never met my so called fiancee.
 
And now here she is, standing in front of me.
 
Seven years ago, my parents helped the Kim couple who was tricked by scammers. They lost millions and my father, who is a close friend with Mr Kim, gave him money to start a new business. As his gratitude, he proposed to let me married with his only daughter.
 
I was at States during that moment and I didn't really bother with it. Two years later, the bad luck happened to my family and it's Mr Kim who helped us through the hard times the most.
 
Therefore I agreed to go on with the engagement while trying to return the debt to Mr Kim, even though he said I don't need to.
 
My father once showed me the girl's picture but, like what I said, I never really agreed with it. Especially since my heart has chosen Miyoung as the owner.
 
However I never forget the name, Kim Ai. It's short and it actually sounds strange for me. I remembered my mother said her name means 'love' in Japanese.
 
Lady Love. Ai. What a coincidence. And she actually knows my cousin.
 
"Hyung," Minhyuk waves his hand in front of my face. "Yah. Are you alright? Do you two... Do you know each other? Did I miss something here?"
 
"Yes," I answer but, at the very same time, Ai gives a different answer, "No."
 
Minhyuk looks at me and Ai in turns, "Yes or no?"
 
"No," Ai heaves a sigh and lands her gaze on Minhyuk. She approaches him, taking out a pink handkerchief rom her pocket and hands it to him, "Let's talk somewhere else. You need to change your shirt, Hyuk."
 
Ai walks away, still putting the expresionless face. What kind of treatment is that? Not to mention she does not admit me as her fiancee. Well, at least, why doesn't she admit she knows me?
 
Right. Maybe she never saw my picture. Maybe she really has no idea who I am!
 
"Come on, Hyung," Minhyuk gives me a sign to follow him. "We can talk at her cafe. You should try her strawberry shortcake, you know."
 
Hold on. Is Minhyuk... Don't tell me they are a couple! Well, it's not a problem actually. In fact it's a good news, meaning I'm not the only one who opposes the engagement; even Ai looks for another guy.
 
"Oh, right, Joon Hyung," Minhyuk suddenly stops when we're already in front of a small but cozy cafe; Ai has entered first. "Can you please don't tell Ai that we're cousins?"
 
I frown. What's with this keeping secret thing? Is it a trend nowadays?
 
"No special reason," Minhyuk grins and opens the door for me. "Just thinking that Ai will be really surprised to know it. Come in, Hyung."
 
The cafe is designed with heart shapes here and there. There are round tables with comfortable chairs but Ai doesn't sit anywhere. She is preparing plates for three.
 
Minhyuk tells me to sit first while he helps Ai with whatever she wants to do. I watch them from my seat, noticing that Ai eventually smiles when Minhyuk snatches a strawberry and eats them with a wide grin.
 
She didn't show that smile before. Is it because she has not recognized me as her fiancee yet?
 
"Here," Ai puts down a slice of strawberry shortcake in front of me along with a cup of hot tea. She takes a seat across from me, "It's free."
 
"Oh," I quickly straighten my body and bow to her politely. "Thank you."
 
I glance at her secretly and notice that she is looking at me without blinking, "Err... Is there something on my face?"
 
Ai closes her eyes for two seconds before finally looks away, muttering softly, "Nothing."
 
None of us talks first and Minhyuk decides to be the first to start the conversation, "So... Joon Hyung, meet Kim Ai, the Lady Love. Ai, meet Lee Joon, your new requestor."
 
"Hey, I'm Lee Joon," I grin awkwardly, trying to gain her attention but she just looks at me coldly. "Lee is my family name. You can call me Joon. It's Lee Joon. Lee. Joon. Lee and Joon. Lee Joon."
 
I emphasize my name for numerous times, hoping that she will at least remember my name. She doesn't show any signs of it though. She must be a really forgetful girl.
 
"Is that...," Ai finally asks me a question, "...the girl you love?"
 
I clench my fists under the table but I answer it firmly, "Yes. Her name is Hwang Miyoung and I have been in love with her for three years."
 
Ai looks at my eyes as if she is trying to read my mind, "Are you serious about her?"
 
I take a deep breath and reply her with faith, "Yes."
 
"Fine then," she stands up and our eyes meet. "I'll do whatever I can as long as you do your best for her."
 
Ai extends her right hand for a handshake and, for the very first time, she smiles at me, "Let's do our best together, Joon."
 
When her lips turn into a curve, I swear I feel like my heart just skips a beat. What kind of feeling is this?
 
"Ai is not going to disappoint you," Minhyuk speaks his honest thought, propping his chin on palm as he looks at me. "Don't disappoint her too, okay, Hyung?"
 
I nod and take her small hand in mine, "We will do our best, Lady Love."
 
Fiancee? Nahhh... She is my love counselor now.