♥ Min: Promise ♥

Lady Love
♥ Min ♥
 
My first love was actually an older woman. She's my senior at high school and she was quite popular because of her position as cheerleading captain team.
 
I was captivated by her performance on our school's anniversarry. She was not too feminine but her charisma was so dazzling that I couldn't help but to stare at her during the whole performance.
 
Feeling so strange yet excited for the first time, I gathered myself altogether and got to know her. It didn't take long until I confessed to her and she accepted my feeling.
 
Never once she said she's embarrassed because I was younger than her. She just laughed it off, saying that I was cute so there's nothing she needed to worry about.
 
I should have realized that it's just a puppy love for her. She never once said that she loved me even though I told her so on her birthday, Valentine's Day, and more important days during our days together.
 
The relationship lasted for more than one year. It ended on her high school graduation day.
 
"I'm so sorry, Minhyuk. I think you took 'us' too serious. I mean... It's supposed to be fun. Spending high school days with lovers, hanging out together. You're still so young, Minhyuk. So am I."
 
I understood how broken hearted felt that day. I tried to argue with her but her polite rejection made it felt even worse, "You don't know what love is yet, Minhyuk. You'll understand one day but I'm not the one to show it to you."
 
We parted our ways that day.
 
Fate played cruelly with me when I met her again two years after I attended college, trying to get rid of the painful memories I buried deep down, not even wanting anyone to know about this. I just lived the life happily until she appeared in my life again.
 
As my older brother's girlfriend.
 
My brother didn't have good grades during college. He graduated with average scores and opened a florist shop by himself after working as an accountant, a job that didn't suit him at all. She happened to be one of his regulars.
 
I didn't know because I was busy with my college that I rarely helped him at shop. My brother didn't know my past with her either because I never introduced her as my girlfriend before, simply because she thought it's too early for her to meet my family.
 
She didn't change. She's still a nice girl. She didn't pretend to ignore me or else, acknowledged me as her junior at high school. She treated me so warm that I couldn't hate her for playing with my heart before.
 
I thought I was over her already, kept myself remembering the fact that she's someone else's girlfriend. My own brother.
 
Until they announced about their wedding plan.
 
 
♥ ♥ ♥
 
 
Opening my eyes slowly, I feel like the whole world is spinning around me. The light makes me feel even more dizzy that I need to cover my eyes with hand.
 
I realize that I am lying down on a comfortable bed as my head rests on the pillow. Of all dreams, why should I dream about the most unwanted memories of my past just now?
 
"Ah...," I massage my forehead slowly. "My head..."
 
"You're awake?" a voice asks me as he sits on the chair, right next to the bed where I'm staying right now. "Want some water?"
 
I try to focus on his face, wondering if I'm sober enough because I have no idea why he's here, "Joon Hyung?"
 
He grins, lifting up a glass of water to me, "Here you go. Your throat must feel sore. Ai asked me to make sure you drink it until the last drop."
 
Ai.
 
"Right...," I sit up, ignoring how hurt my head is because of the alcohol. The last thing I remember before I lost my consciousness due to the Makgeolli is Ai telling me about trying a new recipe tomorrow. "Ai... Where is she?"
 
"Downstairs," Joon replies shortly, handing over the glass to me. "I don't know you're that bad with alcohol."
 
"Our families are not good with it, right?" I laugh it off. "I just didn't expect Makgeolli would blow me away in a gulp. I thought it's supposed to be just sweet beverage."
 
Drinking down the water, I feel slightly better with my throat. Come to think of it, have I done anything stupid when I was drunk? Knowing that I have such low alcohol tolerance, I avoid any kind of alcohol beverage all of the times so I have no idea what kind of behavior shows up when I'm drunk.
 
My eyes wander around and I just notice that I'm in Ai's bedroom. Her room is not too big but it's pretty neat. There is a tall wardrobe, wooden table, and small bookshelf at the side. Next to the pillow, there's a heart-shapped pillow and a small teddy bear.
 
"Minhyuk, about Ai...," Joon mumbles, pausing for a second. "About someone from her past that she mentioned... Do you know the person?"
 
"I don't think so," I choose to answer, somewhat having my memory blurred. Is that guy blonde or not? I don't really remember right now. "You'll keep trying, Hyung?"
 
Joon shrugs, giving me a confused look, "I don't know... I don't think she'll give me a chance."
 
As much as I want to tell him that he should not give up easily or no good thing will come to him, because that's what Ai told me before, my dizzy head just betrays me.
 
I think I need some aspirins.
 
"What is Ai doing downstairs alone?" I ask, suggesting myself to return to my own place as soon as possible.
 
"Oh, no, she's not alone," Joon retorts. "I met her friend who asked for this address so I walked him here. I'm still thinking... Where did I see him before? He looks somewhat familiar."
 
Her friend? "A friend? Do you know his name?"
 
"Name? What did he just tell me? Oh, Lee Byunghun. Right, Byung-" Joon stops all of a sudden. His eyes widen as he quickly stands up. "Lee Byunghun! It's him!"
 
"What?"
 
"That's the person I saw at the bookstore when I was with Ai. She said they attended same college and...," Joon looks at the door. "Is he the one?"
 
If this Lee Byunghun he's talking about is the same person that I saw kissing Ai before, then I'm pretty sure it's the one who still stays in her heart for a great reason.
 
"I'll check her for a minute," Joon walks to the door, telling me to wait for him to return. "I'll be right back!"
 
Trying to get off from the bed, I curse myself mentally for not being able to stand up properly. I bump  here and there, causing some books to fall from the table where I try to keep my balance.
 
"Aigoo..," I squat down to pick the books. That's when I see this certain page of a diary book. It's written by Ai herself, judging from the handwriting.
 
She wrote the date on the top right corner before writing down about a memorable happening that day there.
 
It's more like personal notes about her requesters, to be exact.
 
"Choi Minho. A competitive person who doesn't like to lose. Loves sport and a true gentleman. He's really stubborn but shy at the same times.
 
Today I missed my flight accidentally because he told me that he dropped the special cake I made for him on the day of his planned love confession to his crush. I returned from airport to bake it again and delivered it to him by myself.
 
In the end, we made it in time. The girl accepted his feeling.
 
May the present be your blessings, Minho."
 
Feeling interested, I flip to random pages and read some more before I stop at a page where my name is written on the first paragraph.
 
"Lee Minhyuk.
 
A guy who rejected seven requesters I helped. I never asked him but I think something happened in his previous love life. He'll tell me if he's ready so no way I'll bug him with it.
 
He is a gentleman who means every word. He doesn't let gloomy atmoshpere to surround his environment. Smile is his best feature and I must admit that he looks so good when he smiles.
 
No wonder all those seven girls fell for him. He's good with sweet words as well and, today, on White Day, he gave me a candy stick and a promise.
 
"I promise you that I will not be your requester unless I find the girl I want to spend my life with until the end of time."
 
I'd be happy to help him to be together with the person when the day comes.
 
I hope you have a bright future ahead, Minhyuk."
 
The promise. Now that I think of it, I did make that promise to her. I remember she laughed, saying that someone like me would not even need a Lady Love like herself.
 
My lips turn into a curve as I remember the next sentence she told me that day. She returned my promise with another one.
 
"Then I promise you that I will be the person who stands by your side even when the world collides."
 
Sounds like a silly, playful promise, doesn't it? She even laughed after stating it but, for me, it's not just a random words mashed to be one long sentence.
 
My heart aches and I start to feel the hurt from head has moved to my chest. It's the feeling that I don't want to admit as a fact no matter what happened. How long have I suppressed it?
 
Why do I keep hanging around Ai? Why do I enjoy spending time in her cafe? Why do I help her with all the requesters? Why do I follow all of her lessons to make a girl happy?
 
At first, it's because I wanted to run and hide from the painful memories of first love. It changed gradually to a reason where I was interested with her positive attitude. I wanted to believe that she's different from my first love.
 
It's when I started to feel the reason had slowly disappeared to nothing that day, when Joon believed in her lie that I was her boyfriend.
 
For a split of second, I wanted it to be true.
 
Then another day when I felt something inside of me was breaking into pieces when I saw another guy kissed her but I knew that I had no right to justify the action.
 
That day I blamed myself for doubting whether if the time of my promise had came to an end or not...

...
and if I could ever ask her help as Lady Love if she's the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.