Is this Goodbye?

My Adorable Bodyguard

 

Changmin was smiling to himself while walking at the hospital’s hallway, carrying a bag full of foods that Jaejoong had prepared for Sungmin (because he thinks he’ll be the one to finish them all), when he spotted Mr. Cho at the waiting room alone. He was about to call the old man when he noticed that Mr. Cho was busy talking with someone on his phone with a grave expression. Due to curiousity, Changmin walked closer and hid behind the curtain as he tried to listen to what the old man is saying.
 
 
“I’m sorry. I never thought that it would come this way.” Changmin heard Mr. Cho’s voice full of guilt and worry and he can’t help but arched his brows quizzically.
 
 
“What? They will arrive next week? Oh no. Please.” There was a pause as the old man listened to what the other line was saying. He looked distraught and Changmin became suspicious. ‘What is Kyuhyun’s father up to?’
 
 
“I will do anything-“ Changmin didn’t hear the rest of Mr. Cho’s sentence because a hand suddenly covered his mouth. He widened his eyes in fear, and Mr. Cho who heard a muffled voice, turned his head and was surprised to see his son’s best friend.
 
 
“Changmin?!” Mr. Cho said in horror.
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
 
“Aish! Where is that brat? He should be here at this moment.” Kyuhyun muttered while trying to call Changmin’s phone again, and the operator’s voice is all he can hear from the other line. Jaejoong informed him that he asked Changmin to bring the foods that he had prepared for Sungmin that day, since he can’t do it himself because he got a lot of paperworks to review and sign at his office. But it’s almost two hours since Changmin called to inform him that he’s on his way to the hospital.
 
 
“Maybe he got something more important to do.” Sungmin answered while watching the nurse and doctor dressed his left arm. He bowed and smiled at them thankfully after they were done putting the sling on his arm.
 
 
“You’re going to be discharged anytime soon, Sungmin. You should be thankful that the bullet didn’t injure some nerves in your arms.” The doctor informed him. “And please, I don’t want to see you here again. This is the fifth time you’re-“
 
 
“Thank you, Dr. Heo.” Sungmin immediately cut the rest of Dr. Heo’s sentence as he took a small glance at Kyuhyun. He sighed in relief when he saw the younger was busy dialling his phone again. Dr. Heo looked at Kyuhyun, then back at Sungmin.
 
 
‘He doesn’t know.’ Sungmin mouthed and the doctor nodded in understanding, before patting his shoulder.
 
 
“You should be careful all the time. Your brother will kill me if he finds out what is happening to you because of your job. You know how much he hate what you are doing with your self. And that guy,” Dr. Heo whispered before signalling towards Kyuhyun’s direction. “he should know too.” Sungmin can only nod his head while staring at Kyuhyun’s back. The doctor and the nurse left the room, leaving Sungmin in deep thoughts. 
 
 
Dr. Heo is right. His brother never approve of him being an undercover police agent, saying that he’ll put his life in danger all the time. But he kept on telling him that he loves doing it because he’ll be able to help a lot of people. He remember the time that he got into a big argument with his brother after he was involved in an explosion. He was glad that he only suffer some minor injuries. He felt so guilty for making his brother worried, so he decided to keep his missions a secret from that day. Dr. Heo is his brother’s best friend and he begged him not to inform his brother  when he was brought to the hospital for the second time around. Shall he tell Kyuhyun what his real work is? Who he really is? What if Kyuhyun finds out, will he accept or hate him?
 
 
“Kyuhyun.” Sungmin called the younger’s attention after a while of thinking. “I need to tell you something.” Kyuhyun sat beside him and took his hand, entertwining them. He stared at Kyuhyun’s eyes and smiled at him in a forced way. It’s now or never. He needed to know Kyuhyun’s reaction before his feelings for the younger becomes too deep that it would be hard for him to stop. Atleast at this stage, he’ll be able to cope immediately and if Kyuhyun will fire him, he won’t feel a lot of pain. He then can live and continue his work without pretending anymore.
 
 
“What is it, Min?” Kyuhyun asked him softly, and smiled as he noticed how perfect their hands fit together.
 
 
“Kyuhyun, I-“ Kyuhyun’s phone suddenly rang and the younger tried to ignore it as he gestured for Sungmin to continue. But the noise started to irritate him and he answered it without looking at the screen.
 
 
“What do you want?”
 
 
“Kyuhyun, help us in finding my brother. Mom and Dad are currently destroying my eardrums with their nagging after I received a message that Changmin is being held by some unknown kidnappers. Please, Kyuhyun.” Jungmin said desperately on the other line. It’s a miracle! Jungmin never pleads and being a diva himself, he’ll never ask for any help, even from his friends.
 
 
“Maybe it was just some prank message, Jungmin.” Kyuhyun replied, but the thought of his best friend in danger alarmed him.
 
 
“Prank message or not, we still need to find him. Who knows what is happening to my brother. He can be in a lot trouble sometimes.”
 
 
“Okay. I will go and find him. Changmin may just be here at the hospital eating the foods that Jaejoong had prepared.” He said, trying to lighten the mood.
 
 
“Call me if you ever find him there.” Jungmin muttered back before ending the call.
 
 
After the call, Kyuhyun stood up and looked at Sungmin. “I’m sorry, Min, but I need to find Changmin. I’ll leave you for awhile, and when I come back, let’s talk about the thing that you wanted to tell me. Okay?”
 
 
“It’s okay, Kyuhyun. Forget about what I said earlier.” Sungmin answered.
 
 
“No. We’ll talk about it.” Kyuhyun then lean towards him and kissed his forehead. “I’ll be back.”
 
Sungmin sighed as he watched the door of his room closed after Kyuhyun left. He touched his chest and felt his heart was beating wildly. “How did I end up falling for him? I always thought I’m a straight guy. Yunho had confessed to me a lot of times, but it was only Kyuhyun who turned me into like this. Now, I’m afraid to wake up one day to realize that all of these are not real. How shall I start telling him about who I really am? I’m afraid to get hurt again and cry myself to sleep.” Sungmin whispered to himself as tears started to fall from the corner of his eyes. “Sunny, I wish you haven’t left.”
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
Kyuhyun was walking  towards the hospital’s parking lot when he saw Changmin’s car was being parked beside a black van. He walked towards it and smiled when he saw that it was really his best friend’s car. He hurriedly went inside the hospital’s vicinity again to look for Changmin. He can only think of one place of where Changmin will probably be. Kyuhyun was busy looking for his friend that he didn’t saw Yunho walking towards the elevator.
 
 
Kyuhyun was examining the crowd of people eating at the hospital’s cafeteria when he saw a familiar figure sitting at the corner talking to someone. They seemed to be talking about something serious. He approached them and he immediately smacked the oblivious Changmin’s head.
 
 
Changmin who was caught in surprise can only groan in pain. He turned around and was about to hit the person who hurt his head when his eyes widened upon recognizing Kyuhyun. “K-Kyuhyun?!”
 
 
“What’s with that expression, Changmin? You looked like you have seen a ghost.” Kyuhyun asked him.
 
 
“I…. I was just surprised to see you.” Changmin answered while lowering his gaze.
 
 
“Why? Because you had done something mischief again? You don’t know how worried all of us are.”
 
 
Changmin furrowed his brows in confusion and Kyuhyun wanted to smack his best friend’s head again. “Why are you all worried about me?”
 
 
“Are you having dementia or something? You are supposed to visit Sungmin today with foods that Jaejoong had prepared for him. You had called me since three hours ago, saying that you’re on your way here and you didn’t show up. Jungmin called me because he was so desperate and worried that you are being kidnapped by unknown people. We are so worried about you, while you are just here talking with someone.” Kyuhyun replied angrily.
 
 
Changmin’s eyes widened when he realized what he had done. “Oh no! I forgot!”
 
 
“It’s okay, Changmin. Sungmin hyung won’t mind.” The guy that Changmin had been talking to awhile ago butted in. Kyuhyun looked at him questioningly. “I’m Donghae, by the way. Sungmin hyung’s friend.”
 
 
“Ah! You’re that fishy guy who talked with Sungmin at the police station.” Kyuhyun said after he recognized the guy.
 
 
Donghae pouted his lips. “Yah! I’m not a fish!”
 
 
“What are you even doing here? And what are you two talking about?” Kyuhyun asked suspiciously.
 
 
Donghae raised his hands. “I came here to visit Sungmin hyung. We are just talking about our daily lives, our ideal types, that sort of thing. You should also be thanking me for saving your friend.”
 
 
Kyuhyun stared at Changmin in confusion. Changmin quickly avoided Kyuhyun’s gaze as he answered, “I…. I just had some trouble. Nothing big.”
 
 
“Are you telling the truth?” Kyuhyun asked him again.
 
 
“Of course he’s telling the truth.” Donghae butted in again. He saw Kyuhyun threw him a mind-your-own-business look and he just ignore it. He got up from his seat and patted Changmin’s shoulder.
 
“Let’s go and see Sungmin hyung. I know he’s excited to see us.”
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
Yunho slowly opened the door to Sungmin’s room before peeking inside. He breathe a sigh of relief when he saw that Kyuhyun is not present. He wanted to talk to Sungmin about the case they’re handling since he woke up, but he didn’t have a chance because Kyuhyun will never leave Sungmin’s side. He wanted to asked Sungmin to about his relationship with Kyuhyun. Cause seriously, Yunho is jealous. He wanted to make Sungmin his, but Kyuhyun is a big threat to him. Yunho went inside the room and saw Sungmin staring outside the window. He seemed to be in deep thoughts.
 
 
“Hi. How’s your day?” Yunho begun. Sungmin turned to look at him before sitting at the chair beside his bed.
 
 
“It’s fine. How’s work? Any progress?” Sungmin stared at his injured arm before looking at Yunho. “I’m sorry I can’t help you all the time. I feel useless.”
 
 
Yunho kneeled in front of him, and took his hands. “Don’t say that. You will never be useless and a burden to me, remember that. About the case, I came here to talk to you about it.” He then grabbed the files inside his sling bag and gave it to Sungmin.
 
 
“Mr. Cho and Siwon’s files?” Sungmin questioned after examining what the files are. “I thought we are just investigating Kyuhyun’s father, what about Siwon?”
 
 
“I thought about that too. But after capturing the man who had shut you, I was able to gather new information. The suspect’s name is Kim Youngwoon, aka Kangin. Basically, he was Kyuhyun’s former bodyguard and had worked for the Cho’s for a long time. I found out that he’s Choi Siwon’s right hand, while Choi is Mr. Cho’s trusted personal assistant.”
 
 
“Are you saying that Siwon is doing something behind Mr. Cho’s back?” Sungmin asked in disbelief.
 
 
“Maybe. But we cannot reach into that conclusion unless we found some evidence that says Mr. Cho is innocent. Donghae is currently doing some surveillance at the casino where Mr. Cho and his friends used to gather. He had paid some people there to tell him what usually those rich people do besides playing. One informant said that drug dealings sometimes occur there, and when he was asked to name who are those people, he said he doesn’t know. He only recognized them by their looks.”
 
 
“If, let’s say, Mr. Cho is innocent, why would Siwon plan something against him? And what if all of these are part of Siwon’s plan to destroy the Cho’s?” Sungmin asked.
 
 
“We never know. This is why I am starting to spy on Choi. I am also worried about you, since you are living under one roof with them.”
 
 
“He knows me.” Sungmin eyes widened in realization.
 
 
“What?” Yunho asked him.
 
 
“Siwon, he knows who I am.”
 
 
“How?”
 
 
“The man, the masked man told me that he knows me. They know that I am an undercover police agent, and they wanted to get rid of me because they are planning something.” Sungmin said and before Yunho was able to say something, they heard a loud gasp.
 
 
“You are what?!”
 
 
They both turned their heads towards the door and saw Kyuhyun’s shocked expression. “H-hi Sungmin hyung. We should have knocked.” Donghae said awkwardly.
 
 
“Tell me that what I  heard just now are all part of Yunho’s joke. You guys are not investigating my father, and Siwon is not planning something bad, despite how much I despise him. And Sungmin is not a……” Kyuhyun trailed off while looking at Sungmin. “Sungmin, you are just kidding, right? You are not a-“
 
 
“Undercover police agent, a detective, and a martial artist, that’s who I am Kyuhyun.” Sungmin replied coldly. Kyuhyun can only shook his head in disbelief. “And what you heard are all true. Yunho is my partner in this case. We deal with the bad guys-“
 
 
“No! My father is not a criminal. I hate him, but he is still my father. I will not let you ruin him. He is innocent!” Kyuhyun angrily muttered.
 
 
Sungmin stood up and went towards Kyuhyun, but the latter step back away from him. “Kyu, listen to me.”
 
 
“No, I will not. I can’t believe how easy for me to be fooled by someone like you. I love you, but you lied to me.”
 
 
“I did not lied to you! Will you just listen for a while?”
 
 
“Never!” Kyuhyun shouted as his visions bacame blurry due to his tears. “From now on, you are not my bodyguard anymore. You will stay out of the house, and never come back again. From now on, let’s pretend that we don’t know each other.”
 
 
Sungmin felt his world crashed when he heard those words from Kyuhyun. He wanted to stop him, he wanted to tell him to stay and they will talk about it, but he didn’t do anything when Kyuhyun turned his back and walked away from him. He wanted to follow him, but he did not move. He can only tried stopping his tears from falling. He can only smile a fake one as he saw Yunho’s concerned expression.
 
 
“We will begin our plan once I am discharge from this hospital.” Sungmin said, trying to be strong and pretend that nothing happened.
 
 
‘I know this will happen. Goodbye then, Kyuhyun.’