34

Find Your Way [Epilogue Coming Soon]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Good evening Ms. Kim.” Seunghyun greeted once the small, light haired woman opened the door to the apartment, slightly surprised to be greeted by two men in suits. “I’m Special Agent Choi Seunghyun, and this is Seungri. We’re from the FBI, may we come in?”

Hyoyeon wore a confused expression on her face, although she knew exactly why they were here. Seungri’s eyes lingered slightly on her protruding stomach, but eventually back over her shoulder and into the apartment.

“Uh, sure. Come in.” She said, more nervous than anything else. She opened the door to the two men, allowing them entry to the cramped apartment. “Excuse the mess.”

Choi nodded politely, lingering while she shut the door, a friendly smile plastered on her face.

“Take a seat,” She gestured to the small couch by the window. “Can I get you anything? Coffee, tea?”

Seungri opened his mouth, but Seunghyun spoke for the both of them in declining the offer.

Hyoyeon took a seat on the other armchair, smoothing her knee-length skirt over her lap.

“Ms Kim,” Seunghyun said. “I assume you know why we’re here?”

“If it’s about Hyukjae,” She faltered slightly at the memory of her ex. “Then yes, I saw the report over the news. Otherwise…”

“That’s right. It’s about Lee Hyukjae.” Seunghyun nodded. “You were in a relationship with him, yes?”

Hyoyeon let out a small, sad sigh.

“Yes, he and I were involved about, five months ago by now.” She said, answering carefully, slightly intimidated by the men in suits, even though she’d done nothing wrong.

Seungri opened his mouth to speak, when suddenly, the front door opened, followed by a muscular man in a mechanic’s uniform. He stopped, taking his key from the lock and staring suspiciously at the two men in suits.

“Hey honey.” The man said, closing the door behind him, looking as though he’d just been ambushed in his own home. “Who are they?”

“Oh,” Hyoyeon said, standing up to welcome him home with a quick kiss. “This is Choi Seunghyun and Seungri. They’re FBI agents just here to ask a few questions about Hyukjae.”

The man’s face tensed, but eventually pulled into a grin.

“Nice to meet you.” He said, shaking each of their hands. “I’m Taeyang, Hyoyeon’s fiancé.”

Seunghyun nodded in acknowledgement.

“You’re welcome to join us.” Seungri offered. “We are just here to ask Hyoyeon some routine questions. We’ll be gone soon anyway.”

“No, by all means, take your time.” Taeyang smiled. “And it’s okay. I’ll leave you to it. I wouldn’t want to get in your way.”

Taeyang rolled his shoulders, smiling at his fiancé and unborn child before disappearing to the bedroom.

“He’s a nice guy.” Seungri smiled as Hyoyeon re-took her seat. “Congratulations to the two of you.”

She smiled modestly, before they continued with the main reason they were there.

“Have you communicated with Hyukjae at all since the break up?” Seungri continued, resting his hands on his knees.

Hyoyeon thought about the question for a moment, eventually shaking her head.

“No.” She said finally. “Once we had broken up, Hyukjae took his things, and his dog and left. I wasn’t sure where exactly until I saw the report on the news last week. But no, I haven’t made any form of contact since then.”

“Okay.” Seungri continued. “So you weren’t aware he was involved with a man named Lee Donghae?”

Hyoyeon’s eyes flickered slightly in what could have been read as shock.

“Hyukjae was involved with Donghae?” She asked, her eyebrows knitting slightly below her bangs. “I thought he kidnapped him.”

“We are aware of the hostage situation,” Seungri informed. “But it has been confirmed that the two were involved romantically.”

Hyoyeon’s lips parted slightly as she brought a manicured hand to her chest.

“I didn’t know Hyukjae was…” She didn’t really want to say the word.

“So you’ve never made any form of communication with Lee Donghae?” Seunghyun said this time, his voice several octaves deeper than his partner.

“Heavens no.” Hyoyeon said casually. “I didn’t even know of the mans existence before seeing it on the television.”

Hyoyeon fiddled absentmindedly with the hem of her skirt, before her hands returned back to cradling her stomach.

“So Hyukjae hadn’t met Donghae when you two were still involved?” Seungri asked. “Or is it possible that he’d been to Mokpo and met Donghae before the break up?”

Hyoyeon didn’t hesitate to shake her head.

“No, I’m positive.” She replied. “Hyukjae didn’t socialize that much, and even then I knew all of his friends. He was never a secretive man. I don’t know how it would have been possible for Hyukjae to have a… Friend, without me knowing.”

Seungri nodded slowly.

“And now, is there anyone else who might have been, or has been in contact with Hyukjae since leaving you, that you would know of?” Seunghyun asked. “Possibly family members, friends, co-workers or anything like that?”

Hyoyeon bit her lip, trying to think of anyone she could mention.

“No, sorry.” She sighed. “Like I said, Hyukjae wasn’t very social. And I know he wasn’t particularly close with anyone.”

“That’s okay.” Seungri nodded, shooting his boss a look, signalling they were finished with the questions.

Seunghyun got to his feet, followed by Seungri and Hyoyeon. “Well, I think we’re all done here, unless you have anything else to add?”

Hyoyeon was about to stay quiet, but she decided it was now or never to voice the only thing that might save Hyukjae from trouble.

“Hyukjae is a good man.” Hyoyeon said, her eyes slightly pleading. “I knew him so well. And I know that Hyukjae would never do anything to even risk breaking the law. Whatever is going on with this ‘Donghae’ guy, I can tell Hyukjae’s not involved.”

Seunghyun  nodded.

“Ma’am,” Seunghyun said. “Hyukjae is a hostage in this situation. He have a clear indication that he is not a suspect for the offences by Lee Donghae. We’re simply trying to get any information we can on his whereabouts, and that will lead to Donghae’s arrest.”

Hyoyeon was relieved to hear that at least Hyukjae would be safe. Even if things had ended badly, she still cared about Hyukjae. He was a decent human being after all, and no part of their break up was ever his fault. She’d simply fallen in love with someone else, just like Hyukjae had explained about Donghae.

She stared at the men in suits, trying not to let her expression falter.

And I can’t believe I just lied to the FBI.

“Okay, well thankyou so much for your time Ms. Kim.” Seungri smiled, making his way towards the door. He reached into his jacket pocket, pulling out a small card. “If you think of anything else, or hear from Hyukjae, please give us a call.”

“Thankyou. I‘ll make sure I do.” She said, taking the card and opening the door. “And sorry I couldn’t be any more help.”

“No,” Seungri smiled. “You were very helpful. Have a good evening.”

Hyoyeon waved the two men off, closing the door and cuing Taeyang to quietly step out of the bedroom, changed from his mechanic’s uniform.

He leant against the back of the couch, staring at her sceptically.

“Hyoyeon…” He breathed,

“What?” She asked, casually stacking some of the magazines on the coffee table.

“Why the hell did you do that?” He asked, still in a state of confusion. “You can’t just lie to federal agents!”

Hyoyeon sighed, giving her fiancé a pained look.

“I know I know.” She pouted. “But it wasn’t so bad.”

“Hyoyeon,” Taeyang said with a stern tone. “You didn’t just leave out a few details or something. You full on told them a completely different story! You did see Hyukjae after you broke up, and you even met Donghae on two separate occasions! Hell, the guy was even in our apartment! I would know, I punched him for refusing to leave without the ing dog-.”

“I know!” Hyoyeon snapped. “But what was I supposed to do? Tell those guys that I was still in contact with Hyukjae after we broke up? I suppose you just want me to tell them that Donghae has been transferring us money to help with the baby, is that what you wanted?!”

Taeyang’s expression twisted.

“But honey,” He sighed. “That money is all part of the money he’s stolen.”

“I know that!” She shot back. “But right now neither of us are pulling enough money in to set up a good life for our child. And thanks to Donghae, now we can even afford a house for our baby. Isn’t that what you want? To move out of this crappy apartment and raise our kid in a nice neighbourhood, with a house with a backyard and everything? Thanks to the money we have, our child can have an education, toys to play with and even a bike to ride. Donghae practically bought our baby a life. And all this is coming from a man who you punched. Doesn’t he at least deserve this from us?”

Taeyang sighed, knowing he couldn’t argue further with the woman he loved. She was right. Not that he felt good about it.

“I mean, come on.” Hyoyeon continued, placing her hands gently on hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter