17

Find Your Way [Epilogue Coming Soon]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Shhh…” I hushed Choco, who cradled herself awkwardly on my lap. I ran my fingers through her thick orange fluff. After begging the driver to let me bring Choco on board the bus, she had been very uncomfortable seeing as it would take us around five hours to arrive at Mokpo. The entire time, I was just as antsy as Choco who was squirming on my knees.

What if he’s mad at me? What if someone else he’s found on the streets has moved in with him?

I clutched my dog for comfort, patiently waiting to arrive in Mokpo. Half of me expected to find Donghae sitting at the dinner table with a new house guest, telling them all about his glass animal collection and offering to take them to the sea.

I only had to hope that what Donghae had said to me on the beach was genuine, and that I wasn’t already too late.

“Wait for me Donghae.” I muttered, staring out the window at the hills rolling past in the distance.

 

If I hadn’t gotten lost looking for Donghae’s house from the bus stop, I would have made it there before dark. With Choco tugging on her leash, I finally found the private road I wanted in the first place. The sky had already fallen dark. The sky was cloudy, and I couldn’t even see the moon let alone any stars. It was cold and I could see my breath fog in font of my face, but my jacket kept me relatively warm.

I finally made it to the end of the street, seeing the familiar white gates at the front of (what was in my eyes) the mansion.

I stepped up to the buzzer at the front of the gate, taking a deep breath and pushing the button with my thumb.

No answer. Maybe he’s not home.

I pressed it again, and then once more, before a click came over the speaker.

“Who is it?”

I froze. The voice didn’t belong to Donghae.

Maybe I'm too late.

“Hello? Who the is there?”

“O-oh.” I sighed recognising the voice. “Hi Kyuhyun. It’s Hyuk-.”

The gates began to open automatically.

“-Jae.” I finished, releasing the button and grabbing my bags at my feet.

I dragged Choco up the driveway, and raised my hand at the door, ready to knock when it suddenly flung open.

I gasped as a hand grabbed me by the collar, dragging me over the doorstep.

“Oh thank .” Kyuhyun said, pulling me into a surprising and awkward hug. “Took you long enough!”

“H-hi.” I said, not really sure what to say at this point. I peered over Kyuhyun’s shoulder, trying to look for any sign of Donghae. Kyuhyun stood there, eyeing Choco carefully.

“Well, now that you’ve finally come to your senses, I’m off.” He grabbed his jacket and a set of keys off the vanity in the foyer. He shook his head, passing me in the doorway. “I’m fed up with dealing with his . I can’t take it anymore. Bye.”

“Wait!” I called to Kyuhyun, who only slammed the door behind him.

What was up with that?

I bent down to take Choco’s leash off. She scrambled across the floor, eventually settling herself on the carpet in the living room.

At least she’s at home again.

I awkwardly placed my bags on the floor, feeling my arms ache from carrying them for miles. The light in the living room was on, but the rest of the house was dark, making me wonder if he really was home at all.

“Donghae?” I called. “Hellooooo?”

No answer but the echo of my own voice.

I found my way in the dark to his office door and knocked three solid times.

“Donghae?” Still no response.

I was beginning to feel like a home invader, wandering around Donghae’s house in the dark. If Donghae had just answered his phone before, I could have warned him I would be coming.

I crept upstairs, using the railing to feel my way. Each step I took was silent, just in case Donghae was asleep already.

I knocked gently on his bedroom door, feeling my heart beat through my chest.

There was no answer, so I slowly opened the door, peering inside. The lamp beside his bed was on, so I slowly stepped through the door.

I held in a short breath, seeing the outline of Donghae’s figure causing a lump under the bed sheets.

I approached the bed, smiling at the brown head of hair under the blanket.

“Donghae?” I whispered, to see if he was asleep.

Nothing. I could just see the sheets move up and down with his steady breathing.

Maybe he is asleep.

I almost jumped back when Donghae slowly rolled over, pulling his head out of the blanket. His face was scrunched up, and I saw the feint glimmer of one of his eyes open at the sight of me. He took one look at me, before closing his eyes again and pulling the blankets back over his head.

Maybe he’s half asleep.

“Get out of my head Hyukjae.” Donghae mumbled.

Wait, what?

“No, Donghae. It’s me.” I said, poking the blankets. “Sorry, I err, I came back. I was wondering if I could stay?”

Donghae moved slowly, sitting up in the bed, both eyes staring at me wildly, as if trying to work out if he was dreaming or not.

“H-Hyukjae?” His voice was croaky and his eyes were insanely bloodshot. I felt my hands clench at the heartbreaking sight of how pathetic he looked.

“Hi Donghae.” I smiled, sitting on the bed.

His hand reached out, slowly touching the top of my head.

“It’s really you.” He breathed, still a look of shock etched on his face.

“I have a lot to explain-.”

“Shh…” He silenced me, tugging on my wrist and lying back down. “Just lie with me.”

Without a moments hesitation, I curled up beside him as told. He flung the blanket over both of our bodies, pulling me into his arms and hugging my from behind.

“Donghae?” I said.

“Please don’t say anything.” Donghae said, his voice sounded raw. “Just let me be with you for a bit.”

I felt his face bury into the back of my neck. His breath was warm and sent shivers down my spine. His arms wrapped around my waist, hugging me tighter as if he was clinging to me for his own life.

This was what I wanted. I sighed, sinking myself into his arms around me.

I’m so glad I sat on a freaking bus for five hours. He’s worth every second of it.

Being in his arms felt right.

This is where I belong.

I closed my eyes.

I felt his breath become shaky, and it didn’t take me long to work out he was silently crying.

“I’ve missed you so much.” Donghae whispered. “I never thought you’d come back.”

 

I didn’t realise how tired I was, until I had woken up in the dark about an hour later, still in my jeans, and still in Donghae’s arms. I stirred, slightly twisting my back, trying not to wake him. Apparently I was too late.

“Hyukjae?” He whispered behind my ear, sending me into a frenzy of tingles.

“Yeah?” I smiled, ghosting my fingertips over his hands.

“Why did you come back?” He asked, as if afraid to hear the answer for himself.

Do I give him the long version or the short version?

In this case, the short version was best.

I shifted in his arms, rolling over to face him. I smiled at his sleepy face, his eyes were half closed, and his hair was ruffled up against the pillow.

Waking up to this sight every morning would be absolute bliss.

“Because,” I said, resting my forehead against his. “I think I’m falling in love with you.”

I felt my heart pound.

You said it Hyukjae. You really said it.

Donghae let out a small sigh, closing his eyes. I felt his arms tense slightly, and I wondered if I had been way out of line to tell him that.

A small smile crept over his pale lips.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter