13

Find Your Way [Epilogue Coming Soon]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I sprawled myself across the white leather lounge in the living room. I tucked a pillow behind my head, and the TV, flicking through the hundreds of channels there was to offer. I finally settled on watching a mindless variety show, sighing and folding my arms over my head.

“Well good morning.” Donghae greeted, stepping into the room with his arms crossed.

“Morning.” I half smiled at him.

“I woke up and you weren’t there.” Donghae said, sitting on the other side of the couch. “I figured something was wrong, but it looks like you’re feeling better.”

“Yep.” I smiled.

I was feeling better. Still not at my best, but I wasn’t tossing and turning in the sheets like I was before.

Donghae left into the kitchen, returning with a thermometer in his hand.

“Here.” Donghae shoved the stick into my mouth. “Don’t move.”

I struggled not to drool with the thermometer balancing on my tongue, while my mouth was stuck in an awkward pout. After it had been long enough, Donghae pulled it from my mouth.

“You’re still at a hundred degrees.” He read. “It’s better, but you’re still sick. You have to rest.”

I shuffled my body, lying back down over the couch and dangling my arms over in front of me in the most lazed position I could manage.

“I’m just glad you’re feeling better.” Donghae smiled. “Is there anything I can get you? Water, something to eat?”

“Hmmm…” I sighed. “Do we have any ice-cream left?”

Donghae had been very kind as to go out and buy me lactose free ice-cream for me. Normally, I would steer clear from milk-replacement ice cream and other stuff like that, mainly because it was expensive and tasted like crap. But when you had the money to pay, and a local shop that specialised in alternative foods, it didn’t taste all that bad.

Donghae returned, sitting a bowl of vanilla ice cream carefully on the arm rest of the couch.

“I’m calling Dr. Park to come and check up on you again.” Donghae warned me, before retreating to his office and closing the door.

I dipped my spoon into the bowl and scooped a glob of ice cream into my mouth.

It had been almost six days since I’d fallen ill. Those six days were torture, but definitely a wake up call.

Donghae had cared for me so much, and not just while I was sick, but ever since I’d first met him. He opened his house and life to me, and all I could do was tell him how grateful I really was. The entire experience had made me realise just how much Donghae is willing to sacrifice for my sake, and how much he really cares about me.

I thought maybe my life was worth living if he was in it.

Donghae made me smile, laugh and feel like I was worth something. A felling I hadn’t felt since…

I swallowed my mouthful.

Since she left me.

It had been a little over a month since I’d left my old life behind. The pain of losing the person I love the most in the world still hasn’t left me in the slightest. Donghae’s friendship has brought me up from my doldrums, but it was a mere distraction compared to the heart break I still felt.

I looked over the back of the couch, to Donghae, who was busy in the kitchen mixing vodka into a glass of cola.

I smiled, staring at his thin eyes while he concentrated on not spilling anything.

Donghae was too good to be true.

 

“Give it a day or two.” Dr. Park put her stethoscope back in her bag. “And you’ll make a full recovery Hyukjae.”

Donghae grinned widely at me, rasing his eyebrows as he did so.  I couldn’t help but smile too.

She smoothed her skirt over her knees, flashing me a cute smile. She reminded me of someone, but I couldn’t quite tell who. It always bugged me when that happened.

Dr. Park had used a small portable machine to take my blood pressure, and after taking a reading, everything seemed to be back to almost normal.

“Thankyou for all your help.” I bowed my head to her.

“That’s what I do.” She replied. “I just aim to heal people.”

“Thankyou Dr. Park.” Donghae bowed, showing her to the door. “I’ll be at the hospital tomorrow to sign all the paperwork.”

I winced slightly.

After all, the money for my medication and doctors visits had to come from somewhere.

 

Happy healthy Hyukkie.

After another two days of bed rest and Donghae fussing over me, I was back to my usual slightly-incapable self.  No fever what so ever. Donghae seemed more thrilled at that news than I myself had.

I woke up that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter