Uncertainty

The Manly Me

 

            Maybe yesterday was just a mishap, I told myself as I stayed a little more lying on my bed. Maybe he didn’t feel so well, so he acted as if he didn’t notice. Maybe he knew it was a white lie so he shouldn’t reproach me for it. Maybe after two years, he believed it shouldn’t bother him anymore. But it bothers me.

 

I left my bed and tried to leave my thoughts as well. I opened the door, and was soon greeted by Sanghyun’s voice.

“Good morning,” he said as he was eating his breakfast. He looked very tired.

“Morning,” I replied. “Didn't sleep well?"

            He nodded. " I couldn't sleep at all... I wonder what's wrong."

           

           Does that mean he noticed my lie? Or did he forget? Was he too tired to notice?

 

 

 

Flashback

"Dara... Don't lie to me." He said with a stern voice.

 

"I.. I wasn't lying." How did he know I lied?

 

"Stop it... I know you did..." He paused. "And just now too. And yesterday, and the day before."

 

"How did..."

 

           He knew all this time? But he still kept quiet? 

 

"How did you know?" I asked, perplexed. "Why are you telling me this?"

 

"Something here..."  He pressed firmly yet hesistantly on his chest. "It bothers me Dara..."

 

"So... you can... read my mind?"

 

"That's not it... I just... I don't know... I just know...."

 

 

 

 

“Dara?" His voice brought me back to reality.

 

"Uh, yeah?" I said, startled.

"I have to meet Jieun today,”

“Huh? That girl Jieun? Why?” Jieun again?

“Well, you told me yesterday to not just leave like that. So I’m asking for permission.”

“Euh… I don’t think it’s a good idea. Are you sure you want to meet a stranger?”

“Well, she didn’t seem so mean. I guess I could practice social interaction. Anyway, she told me to come and she seemed to know me. I don’t think I should just not come. So can I go?”

 

            He continued eating his cereal and I sat with him. I sighed.

 

“I guess…” I started, “you can go. Just be careful by yourself. And call me if you have any problems.” I gave him my cellphone. “Just call the restaurant number if you need me.”

 

            He took the cellphone, and just stared at it. He was uncomfortably holding it with two hands.

 

“Thank you Dara. And don’t worry about me.”

 

 

 

 

 

            This is the object they call “cellphone”.

 

I went to Sanghyun’s room and put it on his desk. I sat down and observed it. I had to learn how to use it without Sandara’s help. I’d look like an idiot if I did.

            It was flat, pretty light, and pink of one side and black on the other. The black side was like glass or a mirror, and I could see my reflection. There were a few buttons on the side. I reluctantly clicked them, and one was the trigger to lighten up the glass-like side. Swipe to unlock I read. So I did.

 

*Click*

 

            I gulped at the sight: small square icons that reacted to the mere touch of them, little click sounds once and there… I sighed. This is way too much for me.

 

*I just wanna kiss, I never wanna miss…*

 

           I immediately let go of the cellphone. I just stared, but the sound did not stop. Pushing it aside, I just ignored it. I decided to focus on something else, so I looked at what was one the desk. A few pencils, perfectly aligned books… I decided to look through them. One seemed older than the rest.

            After carefully sliding it out, I opened it at the first page.

 

/Dear Journal/

 

            Sanghyun had a journal? This may useful to learn more about him.

 

 

 

            First entry, first official day in Seoul. Today was the first day of school. I remember how everyone had friends, but I didn’t. I felt lonely, but Dara told to not worry since it was only the first day […]

 

 

 

            No wait! This is wrong… I can’t just look through his private life!

            I guess… One entry wouldn’t hurt… So I flipped some pages before I came to this rather colourful one full of drawings. It greatly differed from the others and it gave a happy mood.

 

 

 

Dear Journal,

            I met this girl today! She was pretty and cute, and we sat together in class. I hope we can become good friends. I don’t think she’d refuse though.ㅎㅎㅎ It makes me so happy just thinking about her… ^^ I can’t believe she will be my first friend here. I do miss my home country, but at least I’ll try making good memories here! […]

           

 

 

            And then I remembered Soonja’s words: You can fufill your wish, but you will help him attain happiness as well…

            Who is this girl? If she’s Sanghyun’s friend then I guess I should find her… right?

 

 

“Hey Sanghyun!”

 

            I immediately closed the book and looked at the door.

“W-what is it?”

            Sandara opened the door and saw me with the book.

“Oh you’re writing in your journal? Sorry for bothering you then.” She knows he had a journal?

“Oh no, it’s nothing. I was just eum... reading… to remember,” I blunted. No matter what I did, I sounded like I was guilty or something.

“So,” she cleared , “I just wanted to tell you that I’m going right now, so… eum… don’t forget about meeting Jieun.”

“Yeah, I won’t.”

            Dara left, leaving me alone once again. I continued reading. I figured if I have to find this friend, better know who it is first.

 

 

 

Dear Journal,

            Remember that girl I told you about? Well, she didn’t formally accept to be friends… Well, actually I haven’t had the courage to ask. Not that was necessary anyways. But the fact that she’s cool with staying with me means she did, right? I hope that’s the case.

            Today, she agreed to work on a project together. Since I’m not too good in history, it will surely help me. The cool thing about all this is that she agreed to work with me even though I told her I wasn’t good at it. She told me it was fine and whatever we do, it’ll work out alright. I remember her smile when she told me that. I hope I’ll never forget it.

            She has other friends too. Every time I see them together, she’s the same than if she’s with me. It seems like she’s being sincere and all. Everyone seems to appreciate her presence and get along with her. She’s cheerful, funny and positive no matter the situation. She even scolded and pushed away one of my school’s bully. What an awesome friend! […]

 

 

 

            I had eaten before I started staring at the ceiling. I stayed there lying unknowingly and unaware of the change the light in the room. Thinking about who this girl could be and where could I find her, I remembered Sanghyun’s descriptions of her in the journal.

 

            … pretty, cute, long black hair, short, a bit skinny…

            … has a couple-keychain Sanghyun gave her as friends…

 

            I sighed… These were too vague to actually describe a person. I mean beauty varies from a person’s to another’s perspective. Mostly everyone has black hair here… And who says she did not change for the past two years? And doesn’t she live in Seoul? What about the keychain? I searched the desk thinking about the object. Sanghyun must’ve kept his side of the keychain right? I looked in between books, in the closet, in bags… I looked in the living room, in his coat… But it was nowhere to be found… Where could it be?

 

            I looked at the clock on the wall. The bigger arrow pointed 46 and the smaller stopped at 9. Then it’s… 9:46! I’ll be late!

 

 

 

 

            I took my coat and Sandara's cellphone and scurried out. I remembered that the location where we met was a bit farther than the convenience store. My hands in my coat’s pockets, I ran with small movements as I tried to keep warm.

*huff huff*

           I ran and ran. My heart beat faster and faster. The wind blew more and more on my face, freezing my cheeks and the tip on my nose.

            Suddenly, there was unexpectedly someone as I turned around the building.

 

 

*THUD*

 

 

 

 

            Then, everything went pitch black.