The 'new' her

Although You Didn't Know

Her eyelids twitched and her index finger moved.Woohyun stumbled out from the chair he was sitting on earlier and in seconds,he was already standing by her bedside with a concerned,anticipated look.”Are you awake?”,his voice filled the silent room.

A deep frown appeared in the middle of her brows and her eyes began to open very slowly.”Oppa,unni’s eyes are opening!!”,Mei Lin squealed happily.Jun wiped the tears from the corner of his eyes and got on his tiptoes to get a better look at Ji Eun.

“Hey”,Woohyun tucked a strand of her loose hair to the back of her ear when her eyes were finally opened.”Where am I?”,she blinked for a few times and tried to sit up from her lying position.”You are in Daegu Hospital.You almost drowned in the stream just now”.

Ji Eun tried to recall what happened earlier and a few scenes appeared in her mind.She remembered standing up and lost her balance before falling down into the water.She remembered a throbbing pain on her ankle and she couldn’t swim with the pain that was constantly stopping her from using her legs.She remembered struggling for air and shouting for help in her brain.She remembered…seeing Daehyun just staring at her helpless state without attempting to save her.

“Hyung dived into the stream to save you like a hero,nonna!”,Jun exclaimed.”He was so cool!!”,Mei Lin added happily.Ji Eun’s eyes went to look at the slightly embarrassed Woohyun.”I couldn’t just leave a drowning girl to die right?Moreover,she is my friend.”,he scratched the back of his head with a small smile.*A precious friend*.

Ji Eun didn’t reply but she continued to look at Woohyun without blinking.Everything left her mind and the only thing she could think of was the guy that was in her eyes.The one she loved so much didn’t save her,but he did.The mere thoughts of that made her gaze softened as she stared at him.The next thing she did was something that Woohyun would never ever expect from her.

Woohyun’s eyes were rolling everywhere to hide the nervousness he was getting from her stares when she suddenly pulled his wrist.Woohyun lunged forward slightly and Ji  Eun’s arms went over to wrap it around his neck.Woohyun’s eyes widened at the sudden embrace and his heart was threatening to jump out from his chest already.

The position they were in was very awkward where Woohyun had both his arms spread open in a weird way with Ji Eun’s arms around his neck.But she didn’t seems to mind as she rested her chin on his shoulder as she held him a little bit more tightly.”Thank you so much, Woohyun”,she whispered gratefully.

Listening to the five words seemed like a melodious lyrics to Woohyun’s ears.The way she called his name was soft and special in a way,not to mention the sincerity that could melt anything from her ‘thank you’.The awkward feeling that Woohyun was feeling earlier immediately disappeared.His lips stretched into a warm smile and his arms encircled around her waist in return.”You never have to say thank you”,he spoke back into her ear.*Because you are Lee Ji Eun*.Both of them smiled even wider between the hug with their hearts reacting to their close interaction.

“Aiyerrrr~~~’Xiu Xiu’(Shame shame in mandarin)”,Mei Lin giggled.Jun laughed heartily at the couple too.The two of them finally realized they weren’t alone and broke away from each other.They avoided looking at each other eyes with their face red as they laughed awkwardly with the kids.

--

Mei Lin and Jun went back to the orphanage after Ji Eun discharged from the hospital the next few hours after she woke up.Woohyun and Ji Eun promised they would come and visit the kids again and the kids were more than happier to wait for their next visit.

“Thank god you are okay”,Mr Park patted Ji Eun’s shoulder after completing the procedure for her discharge.Ji Eun just gave him a small smile and limped forward to the area where the other kids had gathered to get in the bus that will bring them back to Seoul.As her ankle was twisted,the hospital provided her with a crutch to help with her walking.

“Aish”,she grumbled as she wiped the sweat that was already trickling down her cheeks.She had already used all her energy to walk faster but she just managed to walk just a few steps forward.”Need help?”,a cheeky voice asked.

She turned to the voice and unknowingly smiled when she saw who it was.”Woohyun”,she smiled even wider.Something in her stomach flipped when she saw his face.She just suddenly felt happy just by looking at him.”Here”,he patted his shoulder,motioning her to use him for easier walking.”Hurry,the bus is going to leave without us!”,he laughed when he saw her hesitating.

Ji Eun carefully placed her palm on his shoulder.She didn’t know why she was feeling shy and giddy out of sudden when she was usually nonchalant around him.”Aiggooo,slowpoke”,Woohyun immediately slung his arms around her as he took her free hand to his shoulder as well.His vanilla scent filled the air around her and it just somehow ease her heart.*Why didn’t I notice about this sweet scent he had before?*.

Being so close to him made Ji Eun realise a lot of new things about him.How his hands and shoulders felt so sturdy and firm that managed to make her feel safe in his arms.The way his eyes would smile along when he smiled.The way he would push his specs up time to time.The way his flaws…seemed to have turn into something that made him become perfect.

“Hello to earth,Lee Ji Eun?”,a hand waved in front of her face.She finally came back to her senses and realised they had reached the entrance of the bus.Everyone else had already boarded the bus and Woohyun was holding her crutch in his  hand as he reached out his free hand to help her to get in the bus.”They are already complaining”,Woohyun made a funny face as he mouthed softly.

Ji Eun giggled and put her hand on his.Woohyun effortlessly helped her to board the bus and leaded them to their seats.”Ji Eun!”,Zelo got up from his seat and ran to her.Ji Eun stopped her random conversation with Woohyun and stared up at the tall maknae.”You…okay?”,Zelo looked down at her bandaged leg before looking at her face.”Yes,I am”,she answered followed by a polite smile.

Zelo was taken aback by her sudden change in behaviour and turned around to look at his hyungs with a bewildered expression.”She didn’t hit her head when she fell right?”,Himchan whispered into Yongguk’s ear who just gave him a look.

Ji Eun waited for Zelo to move away so that she could get to her seat with Woohyun.Then,she felt someone staring at her.She looked towards that direction and noticed it was Daehyun.His eyes were filled with guilt,worry and concern.He really hope she has the power to read his mind at that moment so she could see how sorry he was and how much he love her.Obviously,she didn’t.

Ji Eun’s eyes were nothing but cold as she stared back at him.Daehyun felt a shiver ran down his spine.She didn’t give her that kind of look even though he broke up with her so harshly before.When Zelo finally moved away,Ji  Eun just turned back to Woohyun and walked to their seats as they continued their conversation.

Daehyun felt like someone just shoot numerous arrows at his heart.He regretted everything he had done,but nothing will be able to make his mistakes disappear just because he finally realised he was wrong.He took a last look at the new Ji Eun and shut his eyes without bothering to reply whatever Soomi was saying to him.

 

-END-

Comments,please.T~T