Chapter 9

My Personal Jerk

 

“Good morning ____!” Kevin shouted energetically from the passenger window of Eli’s car. It was a new day and you were waiting for Eli to pick both you Minsoo from the bus stop.

“Piggy, I never said you could bring company.” Eli said as he looked down so you could see him from Kevin’s window.  He was smirking up at you. Probably from the satisfaction of what had happened at the library last week.

 

 

“That’s not fair!” you glared at Eli who was smirking down at you. It turns out you were both slightly wrong. The only thing is that your sentences were paraphrased incorrectly so the message you wanted to get across wasn’t very clear.

“A deal is a deal.” Eli smiled innocently. You glared up at him and didn’t reply. “So starting next week you have to take care of me.”

 

“But we’re all going to the same place!” you defended. His cocky attitude was starting to get to you. How were you going to survive a week of this? The week barely started.

You looked over at Minsoo and smiled. “Get in.” He was about to decline you offer, but you quickly shoved him into the seat behind Kevin. Minsoo awkwardly greeted the other two and impatiently waited for you to get in the car.

“What are you waiting for? Drive you slow caveman!” you scolded Eli as he stared at you through the rearview mirror.

Eli scoffed. “Did you make me lunch like I asked you to?” You couldn’t see it from where you were sitting, but Eli was smirking. Or maybe it was a smiled. Deep down he was starting to enjoy it. The thought of having you make him lunch and follow him around.

You looked your nails before replying. “Just go.” You blushed. His lunch was actually neatly packed in your backpack. You even bought a new lunch box for him. This was mostly due to you only having one, but regardless you made his lunch in the new one to give to him. Not just that, but you decided to look up a new recipes and spent endless time trying to make it perfect. You didn’t want him to make fun of your cooking, but in the end you ended up scolding yourself. Why would it matter if he liked your cooking or not? In fact, if he didn’t then maybe he wouldn’t make you cook for him at all.

Eli turned up the radio and put the gear into drive then proceeded to drive to the campus. You sighed and looked out the window. Today was surely going to be a long day.

“Noona.” Minsoo whispered. You turned your head and looked over at him. “Are you really going to do what he says all week?” he asked in a concerned tone.  You sighed and nodded your head. As much as you didn’t want to, you weren’t one to break your word. Minsoo sighed as well. To him this meant that he would probably see you less this week.

 

 

“Alright we’ll see you guys later!” Kevin shouted as he left to the other side of the campus with Minsoo.  They seemed to be getting along which was of no surprise with Kevin’s friendly personality.  You were about to leave and head to your class when Eli stopped you by holding your shoulder back.

“Piggy, are you just going to let me carry these on my own?” Eli asked rhetorically. You gaped at him. Did he really just ask that or you just being delusional?

You looked down at his books.  “Where’s your backpack?!” you complained. Since when did he leave his backpack behind? He shrugged and started walking towards the campus. “Yah! Yah!” you shouted, but got no response from him. Eli on the other hand was hoping you’d give in and bring the textbooks. He was a little hesitant leaving at first since he wasn’t sure you’d bring them.

You groaned and grabbed his books. “Aish! Stupid caveman!” you groaned as you picked up the books from the top of the car. You walked quickly stomped past him.

“Slow down! Why are you in such a hurry?! We’re early!” Eli shouted from behind you. Your actions weren’t exactly what he was expecting.  Then again why wouldn’t he expect your reactions to end up this way? You two do tend to argue quite a bit. In a way he kind of wished you two didn’t argue so much. Partially it was because he tired of it, but sometimes he felt as though you hated him. Today it was one of those days. He didn’t feel as though you were being playfully mean with him.

You walked on the small wooden bridge and stopped in the middle of it as you waited for Eli to catch up to you. A sigh escaped your mouth and you started to look at the scenery. You hadn’t noticed if before, but your school was really nice. They actually had several trees on the campus and the grass was also nicely cut. There was also a man-made river which you were now standing over.

“Don’t throw them over!” Eli shouted a few feet away from you. You turned in the direction he was talking. Eli panted as he jogged up to you and took the books from you.

You furrowed your eyebrows with confusion. “Caveman, you’re not making sense.” You stated as you carefully watched him. He ran a hand through his bangs and brushed them back to let the sweat on his forehead dry.

“You were going to throw them in the river.” He stated as he looked down it.

It hadn’t occurred to you how close you actually were to the edge of the rail when you were staring at the campus. You scoffed and looked up at him. “What type of person do you think I am?” you rolled your eyes.

“One that hates me?” Eli asked softly, but you heard him. Eli’s felt his face heat up. He was embarrassed. He hadn’t thought about your character at all. This wasn’t something that you would’ve done. Sure you two were verbally, and every now so often physically, mean to each other, but to interfere with each other’s things was different.

“Aish, I don’t hate you.” You said softly, but loud enough for him to hear. You looked away from and looked back at the river. “You just irritate me…..ALOT.” you emphasized the end of your sentence. “Give me your books.” You bluntly stated.

You Eli was still confused from your sudden change of actions so you walked closer to him and snatched his books. “Come on or being here ten minutes early was of no use!” you shouted as you walked away from him and towards the campus. Eli chuckled and jogged to catch up with you once again.

“So did you really make me lunch?” Eli smiled and put his hands in his pockets.