Chapter 19

My Personal Jerk

 

The road was empty and dark as the street lights would let it be. The street was lit, but only due to the lights from the houses lighting up. The streets were remotely inaudible as the only sounds that could be heard were from the sounds of the neighborhood dogs. It’s a little chilly outside, but it’s enough to bear with.

Minsoo looked over at you as if he were waiting on your instructions. Were you going to get out of the car or were you going to call him to bring it out to you? It’d be more convenient for Eli to go outside and give you the backpack, but just calling him and starting the conversation was nerve wracking. You sighed and started opening the car door.

“What are you doing?” Minsoo asked confused. He leaned over to the steering wheel as he observed you with a delirious look on his face. His face showing slight confusion along with concern.  You looked at him questionably as you didn’t know what he was implying.

“Going to get my backpack.” You answered slowly with each of the words in staccato as you emphasized them.

He arched an eyebrow at you. “You’re ankle though.” You pouted as you started to recall what your doctor had told you, but if you stayed in the car it would be equally as awkward with Minsoo there. He gave you a smug look as you pondered on what your actions would be.

“Well then you take me to the door.” You suggested.

Minsoo snorted. “You’ve got legs.”

“YOU JUST SAID I SHOULDN’T WALK!” you whined at him.

He sat back in his seat. “No I didn’t you took it into your own meaning.”

“Well I’m older, so I say so.” You stuck your tongue out at him in a childishly manner. Minsoo stared at you in an amused manner. He sighed and got out of the car. He was making his way over to your side.

He leaned over and helped you walk over to the door. The walk to the door seemed to be taking an eternity and for you it wasn’t the most pleasant walk. It was a bit uncomfortable, but the fact that you were about to confront Eli after running away made your heart beat faster.

All you could think about was what had happened to him after you had left. Did he stay with Eunmi? Or did he go home? Did he even look for you? It’s not like it should’ve mattered to you though. He probably still had feelings for Eunmi so perhaps he did stay. He didn’t straight up tell you he did, but the “I don’t know” left quite a few theories in your head. Overall you weren’t quite sure what his thoughts were on the matter.

“____?” Minsoo asked as he got closer to your face. Every youthful part of his face moved closer to you. “Are you going to knock or should I?” he teased you. You stared at him as you contemplated on what to do. Since you didn’t know the door, Minsoo took the initiative to knock for you.

You looked at him with a dumbfounded face while he casually smirked at you. “What did you do?!” you whispered loudly. He chuckled lightly before you both heard footsteps heading towards the door.

Minsoo smiled at you. “Goodluck.” He whispered and with that he ran back to the car as he left you stranded in front of Eli’s house.

You could feel your body’s temperature start to change as your heart beat increased. The nerves were starting to build up and so was you anxious state.

The white door crept open as you felt yourself stiffen up. The temptation to runaway seemed pleasing, but your ankle was holding you back. Literally. If you even tried to runaway then you’d end up going back to the hospital.

Eli opened the door and stepped out of the door to reveal a very tired looking individual. He looked overstress and helpless. His hair was all over the place as if he had just gotten up from bed. Though why he would be in bed already pondered your mind.

“Are you going to come in?” he asked softly as he motioned for you to come in. At first you hesitated; you didn’t want to start an awkward conversation with him after the whole ordeal, but then again you felt rude if you told him you just came for your stuff.

So despite how much trouble you would put yourself in, you decided to proceed on and go into his house. You started to limp past the doorway and Eli looked at you curiously. He hadn’t known about your embarrassing incident in the parking lot. “Are you okay?” you asked confused.

You continued to limp into his house, but found it irritable to do so. “Yeah I’m fine.”

“You’re limping though.” He stated boldly as he closed the door. The door’s click sending you into a state of alarm. You felt as though you were now locked in the room with him.

You shrugged your shoulders and continued to slowly limp deeper into his house. Eli then wrapped an arm around your waist and pulled your arm over his shoulder. “Come on, I’ll help you sit down.” You nodded as you limped, with his help, over to his kitchen and sat down on a stool.

Eli walked over to one of the cabinets and took out two cups out of the cupboard and filled them up with some water. He made his way over to you and handed you one of the mugs as he sat down on a stool close to you. He smiled at you genuinely and then set his cup down on the counter.

“So what happened to your ankle?” he smiled at you as he propped his elbows onto the counter and rested his chin on his hands.

You panicked and fumbled with your words. It all sounded gibberish to him. He chuckled at you. “I’m sorry I don’t understand what spell you’re trying to cast.”

You tried to contain a smile that was yearning to creep upon your face, but it ultimately failed. “Good.” Was all you could manage to get out. You pursed your lips and held the purple cup up to your mouth as you decided to take a sip.

Eli coughed and looked down. “So what happened?” He looked up at you as his head hung down. His hair was slightly covering his eyes, but they were revealed enough for you to be able to see them. He had a gray sweater on. It was oversized on him, but he seemed to be comfortable. Something that you were currently lacking.

“I fell and got a sprained ankle.” You bluntly replied. It was the honest truth, just not completely detailed.

He arched an eyebrow at you and smiled. “You’re so clumsy, but that’s not what I meant. Well not completely.”

You looked at him confused as you waited for him to explain himself. He grabbed his cup again. It was purple too. He seemed to have a lot of it around his house actually. He held the cup with one hand and traced the rim of it with the other. “I meant, why’d you leave?”

You paused as you realized that you hadn’t even thought about how to answer this question. You looked away from him so that he wouldn’t read your face. “I told you something came up.”

“Is everything okay?” he asked curiously.

You took a sip of the water and stared at the water inside of it. “Don’t worry about it. Everything’s fine.” You replied as you tried to push him away from the subject.

“I don’t understand you. You make no sense to me.” He replied softly.

You looked up at him a furrowed your eyebrows. “You’re one to talk” you retorted instantly as if by instinct.

“What are you talking about?” Eli replied a little frustrated.

“Nothing.” You replied quickly. Eli looked like he was about to say something, but his phone went off. It was sitting on the counter. From your angle you could somewhat make out whose name it was. It looked like it said Eunmi.

“Let me go get your backpack while I answer this.” He stated as he walked out of the kitchen. You frowned as he left. You felt your heart sink in disappointment. It seemed as though Eli and Eunmi were talking again and you had yourself to thank for, but you’d rather see Eli happy than upset.

You picked up your cup to bring it closer to your face and rested it on your chin as you listened to Eli from the other room. You couldn’t clearly make out what he was saying, but it sounded like they were making plans. At that moment your phone vibrated, you had received a text message.

 

MINSOO: Do you need help getting out of there? I’m lonely. T-T

 

You laughed by yourself at his text. His joyful personality rubbed off a lot.

 

YOU: Yes please.

 

“Yeah, I’ll see you later then.” Eli spoke as he hung up the phone and put it in his pocket. “Here it is.” He smiled at you as he handed you your backpack. You stared at him. His was smiling and seemed really excited about something. “I did the right thing.” You told yourself as you put your backpack on. You slumped your shoulders as you waited for Minsoo to do something to get you out of there and as if on cue a knock came from Eli’s front door.

Eli walked over to the door and opened it to find Minsoo waiting there. “Hey.” Minsoo smiled cheesily. Eli looked at him confused; you had forgotten to tell Eli how you had gotten to his house. Minsoo peered over Eli’s shoulder and looked at you as he waved.

“Are you ready? We’ve got to go.” Minsoo asked you. You nodded at him and started to get off the stool. Minsoo walked over to you and helped you put his arm around him for support as he wrapped his around you. Eli watched you as you interacted with Minsoo. Something bothered him, but he wasn’t going to say anything for the fact that he was confused.

“Thanks for taking care of my stuff.” You smiled at him and bowed before leaving him confused. Eli watched as both Minsoo and you entered the car. Everything around him was silent and nonexistent. He listened to the sound of the car doors close, the sound of the engine start, and the sound of the car pulling out. The confused was too much for him to comprehend. Not because of Minsoo, but because of himself and his feelings, whom were raging with him.