Chapter 11

My Personal Jerk

 

It was getting close to three in the afternoon and you were impatiently waiting for Eli by his car at the student parking lot. The day turned out to be a typical Wednesday, but the only difference today was that Eli was supposed to meet with you so that you two could revise the paper.

“Where’s this caveman?” you asked rhetorically to yourself as you looked at the time on your cellphone. You stood awkwardly by his car as other people gave you weird looks while they passed by. They probably thought you were an idiot for locking yourself out of your car or that you were trying to break into a car.

Out of impatience and boredom, you laid your arms on the top of the car and rested your head on the roof of the car. You closed your eyes and sighed. The sun’s rays were starting to get to you. It was really hot outside.

As you started to doze off into your own thoughts, the alarm Eli’s car started going off. As panic started running through you Eli snuck behind you and wrapped his arm around your neck. You screamed as loud as you could by instinct you bit his arm as hard as you could and you attempted to get his hold off of you.

“You crazy witch let go!” Eli yelled in your ear as he tried to pull away. This was the reaction he was hoping to get from you. He was expecting just scream, but he got more than he was asking for.

Once you heard his voice you let go of everything and you both backed away from each other. Eli was holding his arm while he examined it and groaned. You felt embarrassment as you watched him in pain. You wanted to run away so badly, but he had already seen you so there was no turning back.

 

“You bite hard you crazy witch.” Eli said as he put his hand on the ice you had set on his arm. After a few moments of awkwardness you had ended up going to the café to get some ice for his arm while he waited in the car for you.

You fumbled with your hands while you sat in the car. “I’m sorry!” you whined loudly with a guilty conscience.

Eli pretended to be frightened by you by flinching at the tone of your voice. You rolled your eyes at his exaggeration. It was starting to get on your nerves that he was messing around with your feelings, but what did it matter anyway? It’s not like his past actions used to matter before.

You sighed and looked out the window. “We’ve been driving for a while.” You took a short pause as you stared at the scenery. “Where are we going anyway?” you asked him as you passed by a few restaurants.

“I want to get something to eat.” He replied as he started slowing down and looking for somewhere to park. “I’m paying anyways.”

You looked at the time on your phone. It was time that was staring to worry you. You didn’t want to waste too much precious time to work on the paper. “Why can’t you eat something at your house.

“Well I do get hungry you know.” He smirked as his thoughts started to gather into his brain. “You could save me money and cook dinner for me if you want.” Eli parked the car and waited for you answer. A part of him wanted you to say yes, but he also wanted to go out to eat.

Eli parked the car and you thought about his suggestion. It was exactly what he wanted and giving the satisfaction of it wasn’t something you wanted to do. Besides it’d probably take you longer to cook the food than to go out to eat. “Come one let’s go.” You groaned as you opened the car door and walked out.

A disappointed Eli got out of the car and caught up with you. He pointed to a couple of restaurants and you two finally decided on one that would satisfy the both of you. Eli stopped you approached the green door frame of the restaurant and walked in front of you. At first you thought he was just trying to annoy you and be rude, but then you suddenly realized that he was actually trying to be a gentleman. He had opened the door for you. It was something that you weren’t used to from him. You expected him to open the door for himself and let the door hit you in the face.

You hadn’t noticed that you were standing in the same spot for several seconds and that Eli was looking at you. “Did you change your mind?” Eli asked as he held the door open for you to walk through.

You shrugged your shoulders and looked away in embarrassment before proceeding to walk through the door. “Thanks.” You murmured as you walked past him.

In the end, Eli decided to take a seat in the back with a window next to the table. The waitress handed the both of you the menus and took your drink orders while you both decided on what to eat.

“Alright. Would you like to order a dessert to share with your beautiful girlfriend over here?” she asked Eli with a bright smile. She seemed to be in her late forties. She had a few wrinkles near her eyes, but still had a bit of youthful skin to her.

You blushed the waitress finished her sentence. You were about to protest on having any type of relationship with him, but ended up being interrupted by Eli himself. “We’ll take some Red Velvet Cheesecake.” He replied as he handed her the menu and took the menu from you to give to her.

You were at a loss for words. Confused was definitely something you were familiar with lately though. “Why didn’t you correct her?” you asked him as you looked down at your drink and put the straw in.

Eli looked out the window as he tried to hide his flushed face. He really didn’t know what to say. He was confused himself. A part of him liked the thought of what the waitress had said. He wasn’t sure if it was the thought of having a girlfriend, having you as a girlfriend, or just irritating you as usual was what he was enjoying. Either way, he ended up convincing himself that it was just a way of irritating you. “Why wouldn’t you want to be called my girlfriend?” he asked confidently as he rested his elbow on the table and placed his chin on his palm

This was you expect of him completely. “Don’t get me started.” You smiled at him. “First you’re rude.  I don’t want a rude boyfriend.” You started. Unaware to you, Eli was actually paying attention to what you were saying. He wanted to know what you thought of him “And you’re a caveman. I want a gentleman.” You finished the list jokingly. You honestly hadn’t thought of your type, but those were the stereotypical traits a female tended to like in a male.

Eli remained quiet as he took a mental note of what you had said. You watched as he looked down at his drink. He seemed to be pensive about something and you weren’t sure of what it was. “How am I supposed to joke around with you when you’re not listening?” you frowned at him playfully.

Eli cracked a smile that was fully honest. The waitress came by and placed your food on the table before leaving your presence.

After eating and talking a bit with Eli. You had gotten to know him a little bit. You found out that he had an interest in acting, but he wasn’t going to school for that which puzzled you a bit.

“Why don’t you join the drama club then?” you asked him as you tried to keep the conversation going. He just shook his head and sighed.

The waitress came back with your cheesecake and took the plates away. “Enjoy you two!” she smiled as she walked away with the empty plates. You took one of the forks and cut a piece of the slice for yourself.

“Are you two on a date?” someone asked from the side of your table. You looked up to see a smiling Kevin. You’re mind hadn’t fully registered what he had asked so you ended up pushing the question away as you started conversing with him.

Eli on the other was content with what Kevin had asked. There were so many thoughts going through his head at the moment that he was starting to feel frustrated with himself. He didn’t know how he felt about you anymore. You were once the girl that irritated him just by presence, but know he somewhat like having you around. He’d find himself smiling as he replays conversations with him. There had only been one time that he had felt some of these feelings for someone and he was afraid of them. It was the same feeling that he had gotten with one of his ex girlfriends, but he was scared of those feelings. He was afraid of acting upon them.

“Well I’ll see you guys later.” Kevin waved as he took his food to go and left the restaurant.

You looked at the time on your watch. It was starting to get late now. “We should get going.” You stated as you placed the phone back on the table.

Eli looked up at you. “Let’s get going then you crazy witch.” He stood up and walked over to the register to pay. You felt weird as you followed him. His remarks didn’t seem the same as they used to, but you shrugged it off in order to have a decent study night.