Chapter 5

My Personal Jerk

 

After class ended you threw away the picture and headed to your biology class. You didn’t think much of the envelope.  It was probably just a joke by the sunbaes. Your mood was already ruined. Dreadfully you walked to your next class unaware of that someone was walking behind you. As you walked into the classroom, you noticed someone continue to follow you. When you sat down at your table, you noticed that it was Eli. Oddly he was keeping quiet.

Keeping your eyes glued in the inside of your backpack as you took out the spiral and textbook you needed, you successfully avoided eye contact with Eli. The feeling of paranoia stared to overwhelm you now due to the feeling of a pair of eyes looking at you. In the angle you were in, it would’ve been hard avoiding eye contact with Eli, but luckily he was also trying to avoid contact with you so you eventually found eye contact with someone else. It was none other than Kevin. He smiled at you, but he seemed to have a look of concern in his eyes. Why is he such a caring person?

“Okay class open up your textbooks to chapter eight.” Professor Kim started class without any warning. Startled by his voice, you jumped and almost feel off your stool if it weren’t for a pair of arms pulling you back into your seat. “Idiot.” Eli smirked as he let go of you. You glared at him, but in a way you were a bit relieved that he was talking now. He killed the awkwardness between the two of you. “Ignorant caveman.” You retorted as usual.

The rest of the class consisted of long lectures over the basics of biology. Being the studious person you where, you consumed yourself with your abundant note taking. Nothing seemed to distract yourself from the lecture until you heard a distracting snore. At first you tried to ignore it, but the obnoxious sound was too distracting for you to keep your concentration. With an annoyed sigh you looked to your left and found Eli asleep on the desk. He was drooling a bit on the desk as well. This caveman. Seriously, if he wasn’t going to pay attention then why’d he even come.

With the pen in your left hand, you leaned over the black desk you two shared and poked Eli in the face. “Caveman.” You whispered as you poked him again. He just groaned and kept the same position he was in. His head laying on his left arm and his right arm lay on the desk. The position he was in looked uncomfortable due to his height. His torso looked as though it was laying on the desk as well. “Hey stupid caveman.” You whispered a little louder as you poked his cheek. This time he didn’t move at all. With the useful note taking time Eli was taking from you, irritation had started to build up inside of you. You got your backpack and pulled out a washable marker from your red pencil bag. After setting the backpack back onto the floor, you took the cap off and leaned over to Eli’s face. With gentle care, you started to draw on his smooth, clear skin. You smirked at your work of art and put the marker back in your bag. You looked past Eli to see a giggling Kevin. Well caveman, you really do look like a caveman now.

“Kwon  _____!” shouted Professor Kim from the front of the classroom. Startled once more, you turned your attention back to Professor Kim. “Yes Professor?” you asked with an alarmed tone. You could feel your heart palpating fast. “Would you please wake your partner there up for me?” he asked, but sounded more like a demand. You put your hand on Eli’s shoulder and shook it. “Hey…” you started. You could feel pairs of eyes looking at both Eli and yourself so you impatiently shook him some. “Caveman wake up!” you shouted in his ear completely annoyed.

Eli opened his eyes slowly and yawned. “Have a good nap Kim Ellison?” the professor asked as he started Eli as well. “Sorry.” Eli replied as he stood up and bowed to him. You chuckled. Professor Kim placed his chalk on the black desk in front of him. “Kwon _____,” He started as he looked over at you. “Next time make sure he doesn’t fall asleep or I’ll kick the both of you of my class and Eli next time just stay home if you’re going to fall asleep.” He finished in an aggravated reply. “Yes Professor Kim.” You both chanted. The professor turned back around and continued to finish what he was teaching. As the professor started to continue his lecture, you turned to face Eli. “Listen here you annoying caveman. If you cause my grades to slip or cause more negative attention from the professors then you’ll regret getting into this class in the first place.” You exploded. I can’t afford to have any of that. Especially from caveman over here.

“Whatever.” He replied lazily. You rolled your eyes and went back to paying attention to the professor.  There was only twenty minutes left and the professor started to wrap up the class early. “Even though we had a distraction today, we managed to finish early. So I’m going to assign topics for the first partner paper.” The professor stated as you sighed. A paper meant communicating with the other person and that was definitely something you didn’t want to do. As the professor randomly passed out the topics to all the groups, you looked over at Eli who was now talking to Kevin. “I’m also giving you all four weeks to finish this paper. I suggest you start exchanging numbers or planning out your schedule to finish this.” The professor said as he passed your desk.

You looked over at Eli again. You didn’t know how to start a conversation with him. This definitely seemed like it was going to be a challenge. Kevin looked over at you and turned back to Eli. “You should exchange numbers with _____.” He suggested. Eli groaned and turned to face you. Eli just started at you while you awkwardly looked down to avoid his gaze.  “Well are you going to get your phone out or not witch?” he stated with an annoyed tone. You rolled your eyes and looked over at him. “Oh you have a phone? I thought I was going to have to learn some signals to communicate with you.” You smirked and grabbed your stuff to put into your backpack. You heard Eli scoff and Kevin laugh in the background. “Listen here you witch. I don’t like you. You don’t like me. You want to pass this class and so do I. So quit being difficult.” He stated as he took out his phone. He was right. The both of you had to exchange numbers in order to pass this class so you took your phone out. You handed him your phone as he handed his to you. After you typed your number in the designated spot, you took a selca of you sticking your tongue out at him as your contact picture. Once you were done, you handed him his phone and you received yours. “Everyone, once you have all finished planning you are dismissed.” Professor Kim stated on cue. After hearing his dismissal, you grabbed your backpack and headed out the door to go get some lunch.

As you were walking out of the building, you felt a vibration in your pocket from your phone. You unlocked the phone and saw message notifications on the screen. One was from Minsoo telling you he was waiting for you at the cafeteria and the other was from a contact under the name of “y man”. You opened it and rolled your eyes.

y man: I saw the contact picture you took. Why couldn’t you take a decent picture? Now I have to replace it with a pig picture.

You rolled your eyes as you looked at the picture he sent. It was a piglet and it was a cute picture so it didn’t bother you that much, but something caught your attention. It was his contact picture.

You: Hey I don’t appreciate you taking a picture like that on my phone, but then again I should’ve expected unsophistication from a caveman. So I’m going to replace it with this.

In his picture Eli was sticking his tongue out as well while sticking his middle finger out. So you sent him a picture of an extremely hairy caveman.

Eli: Why’d you take a picture of yourself? Kekeke See you in the next class.

You rolled your eyes once again and groaned in frustration. There was no comeback you could think of so you stuck your phone back into your pocket and continued heading towards the cafeteria.