Chapter 12

My Personal Jerk

 

“How’d your paper turn out?” Kevin asked both you and Eli as you both headed down the wooden stairs that lead towards the cafeteria. Today was Friday and also the day your papers were due.

Wednesday you had gone to Eli’s house to finish the paper, but you didn’t spend much time there. He didn’t seem well so you rushed with the editing of the paper. It seemed as though he was getting sick.

“It was fine. We finished it on Wednesday. There wasn’t that much to finish. I think we’ll be fine.” You replied as you waited for Eli to put in a remark, but he didn’t say anything. He just continued to stare at the path in front of all of you.

You looked over at Kevin and motioned him to look over at Eli as to ask what was wrong with him. He shrugged, he really didn’t know what wrong with him.

“Noona!” you heard someone shout from behind all of you. You turned around to see Minsoo running towards you. He had a goofy smile on his face as he approached you.

“Hey.” You smiled as everyone split up once getting into the cafeteria. Though Minsoo stuck by your side and decided to get whatever you wanted to eat. After fixing up your tray, you headed towards the table where you’d usually sit with Kevin, Eli, and the rest of their friends.

You gently set your backpack next to you and took out the fifth lunch box this week. It would be the last lunch box that you would make for Eli. You knew that it saddened you a bit, but didn’t understand why. You had grown accustomed to Eli’s presence and doing things for him that it felt odd knowing that you wouldn’t have to do that anymore.

Eli sat down next to you as he set a pastry down on the table. “I thought I’d be nice and bring the witch a treat.” He laughed lightly as he motioned it for you. You smiled and handed him his lunch. “Oh, you made me another lunch.” He smiled as he opened it. Whatever was bothering Eli’s mind now seemed to be at ease for a bit.

“Well yeah, I have to all this week.” You laughed as you lightly pushed his arm. Eli tensed up as he felt the skin contact. You realized how awkward the atmosphere had gotten and quickly moved away from him.

“Hi Eli!” a female voice chirped from the end of the table of where you were all sitting. All attention moved from the current conversation to the sunbae that was now looking down upon your table. It was Yoomi with Eunmi right behind her. Kevin and AJ shifted uncomfortably in their seats while the others dug into their food.

Eli waved at them, in an attempt to not be rude and ignore them like everyone else, before going back to eating his food that you had made him. Yoomi glared at you while everyone, but Eli was oblivious to Eunmi.

“Hey Eli. Long time no see.” Eunmi finally spoke. She was soft spoken and her voice seemed as gentle as her appearance. You stared at her in awe. You hadn’t noticed the day in the restroom on how pretty she actually was.

Eli ignored her and continued eating. It was a familiar voice that had faded until in Eli’s memories until now.

“Hey! When your sunbae speaks to you you’re supposed to pay attention!” Yoomi scolded as Eli ignored her as well. Eli finished eating his food and put everything back neatly into the lunchbox.

You looked over at Kevin and then at Dongho both whom just shrugged and continued to pick at their dishware. You sighed and put your chopsticks down. The awkward aura and confusion resulted in your loss of appetite.

“____, are you done eating?” Eli looked at you as Yoomi and Eunmi sat beside him. He was obviously trying to avoid a conversation with them. Since you had lost your appetite and Eli’s eyes were screaming in desperation, you decided to oblige Eli.

“Hnn.” You simply nodded as you pushed away your food. Out of the blue, Eli stood up and picked up your tray. “Come on. Get the lunchbox.” He smiled as he held out his hand for you to follow him. The whole table looked Eli in astonishment. Minsoo looked over at you and you shrugged as you stood up and followed him. Of course taking your stuff with you.

“Eli! Don’t be rude!” Yoomi shouted from the table. You could hear her getting up from the table which resulted in Eli quickening his pace. You tried to keep up with his pace, but your legs were shorter than his thus making you take more strides that he did.

Eli threw the trash away quickly and placed the tray into its according spot. While he avoided making a mess, you took the opportunity to put your backpack on and to take a glance at what you two had left behind. Eunmi was still sitting at the table as she spoke to the other boys while they hesitantly responded.  Yoomi on the other was steaming and heading your way.

You tugged on Eli’s hand as he finished putting up the tray. “What is it?” he asked as he looked at you and then up to see Yoomi storming in that direction. He then turned around and proceeded to head out of the corridors of the university while pulling you by the arm.

“You rude jerk! Come back here!” Yoomi yelled from the cafeteria doors. Her outburst seemed to be oblivious to you as you attention was centered on the fact that Eli was touching your arm. “_____, walk faster please.” Eli said softly as he turned the corner and slid hiss hand down your arm into your hand.

Eli then rapidly turned into one of the classrooms and pulled you in with him. His back lightly hit the wall as he pulled you up to him. You were about to speak until Eli clasped one of his hands on your mouth. From the classroom you were in, you could hear Yoomi calling for Eli and then furiously heading back into the cafeteria.

You looked up at Eli as his eyes were intensely staring by the door. It was as if he was afraid of something. You took advantage of being close to Eli to examine him closely. You actually hadn’t noticed how attractive he actually was. From his eyes, to the tip of his chin, his features were masculine. His embrace was also screaming masculinity as well as gentle warmth.

Eli turned his gaze towards you and locked eyes with you. You could feel the heat radiating to your cheeks. “What?” he asked bluntly while still holding you. You looked down at his arms and he immediately realized how close you two were at the moment before pushing you away.

You stumbled backwards a bit, but steadied yourself in the end. The turned around and sat down in one of the desks as you tried to catch a hold of your breath. “Eli…” you started as you patted your cheeks with the palm of your hands.

“Hmm?” he responded as he took the seat next to you as he also tried to regain with breathing patterns.

“Why did you run from her?” you asked shyly. Asking him that question oddly scared you.

Eli sighed as he closed his eyes. “You have eyes. Did you see them?” he snapped back as though he were offended by you even mentioning them to him.

You tried to ignore his annoyed tone. “Yeah…but it seemed as though there was another reason.” You took a short pause as you collected your thoughts together. “The other day Yoomi said you and Eunmi belong together….or something along those lines.”

Eli didn’t respond to your statement, but you could have sworn that he was cursing under his breath about them. “I know I’m being nosy, but did you and Eunmi have a relationship in the past?”

Eli snapped his eyes open and turned over to you. “Stop asking ridiculous questions.” He responded with a response that avoided the answer you wanted to know.

You sighed and tumbled with your fingers. “Um, why did you drag me along anyway?” you waited a few moments before Eli actually responded to your question.

“I thought she’d leave me alone if I brought you.” He said as he laid his head the desk and looked at you. Your face said it all to him. You were confused. In a way he was glad you didn’t know his past, but he felt bad that you were so confused since he dragged you along into his chaos.

You furrowed your eyebrows at him. “You’re not making any sense at all you crazy caveman!” he chuckled and ruffled your hair.

“Maybe your brain is fried from all your stew brewing.” He smirked as he waited for your retort, but you were too frustrated to think of anything at the moment. There were so many thoughts going through your head at the moment. Eli’s connection to Eunmi and Yoomi both seemed to be one of the questions that was left unanswered, but the one that was bothering you the most was why he was trying to avoid them and his refusal to tell you why.

“Don’t worry about it.” Eli said as if on cue. He playfully pushed you in the chair as you smiled at him and nodded. “Come on. It’s time for our next class.” Eli changed the subject as he stood up and headed towards the door.