Chapter 13

My Personal Jerk

 

Mondays. It’s the one day that most people dread. Especially students and you were no exception. Somehow you managed to get yourself up from bed and to the bus stop. Unlike last week, where you’d get rides from Eli, you took the bus with Minsoo whom eagerly accompanied you.

“Ah, Noona! Here comes the bus!” Minsoo chirped. You smiled at his energetic character. “How are you so awake in the mornings?” you yawned as you stretched your arms upwards.

Minsoo turned his attention to you and gave you an eye smile through his black bangs that were now becoming a bit long for him. “Well knowing that I get to see you in the mornings is enough for me to get up in the morning.” He sheepishly smiled.

Your face flushed as you stared at him. You playfully pushed his arm and laughed as the bus came to your bus stop. Minsoo laughed with you and turned his attention to the bus. “Ladies first.” He stated as he stood aside and waited for you to get in.

After you got in and paid your fare, you sat down at your usual spot with Minsoo. “You know, you’d make a good boyfriend to some lucky girl someday.” You acknowledged. Minsoo gleamed as you complimented him.

“Well I think I already have someone in mind.” He confessed. You smiled at the fact that he would tell you such a thing. “Ahh tell me who!” you whispered excitedly as you leading in.

Minsoo shook his head. “I’m not sure how she feels about me yet.” He paused. “I’ll tell you…once I know for sure.” He looked passed you and out the window. “Oh, you get your graded papers back today right?” he changed the subject.

You nodded and looked out the window to see what got his attention. “Yeah, I hope we got a good grade.” You sighed as you remembered the hard work you had put in it with Eli. The relationship you had with Eli had changed since the first time you both had met. At first he was mean to you, but now it seemed as though you were actually friends now. It was all due to your biology class or maybe it was meant to be that way. You recalled how the bet started and remembered how embarrassed you were when landed on him. You felt your face heat up as your patted your cheeks and a smile came upon your face that would soon turn into a pout. Not long after that, did Eli start acting strange around you. Last Friday he seemed out of it and seemed to be talking less to you. The weekend was no exception to that either.

You took your phone out and decided to text Eli, but as you opened up the new message window you found yourself hesitate for a bit before you actually contemplate what to write.

 

You: Caveman, we better get a good letter grade today or I’m gonna blame you! :P

 

You examined the text message. A bit unsatisfied with what you had composed, but you decided to send it anyway. Minsoo watched you as you waited for a reply, but to your disappointment you didn’t receive one. “Noona…” he muttered as he looked at you with sad eyes.

“Yes?” you asked as you looked up from your phone to look at him. He tried to put on a smile as best as he could. “It’s our stop.” You nodded embarrassedly and headed off the bus to go to your classes.

You walked silently to your biology class by yourself as you secretly sulked on the inside. It had been a while since you had felt this way. You had grown accustomed to Eli and his friends being around you.

The biology classroom was already filled with many of your classmates whom you had grown accustomed to just casually greeting them and then casually going on about your own business. You sat down by your desk after casually greeting some of your peers. Eli and Kevin hadn’t made it to the classroom yet so you were feeling a bit lonely until one of your peers sat next to you and started conversing with you.

Not long after that, the professor walked in to only be followed by Kevin running in by himself. “Good…morning!” Kevin panted as he tried to smile at you. He had obviously ran to the classroom since he was out of breath.

“Morning Kevin!” you smiled widely. You were about to ask Kevin where Eli was, but the professor interrupted you by starting the lesson for the day.

Biology for the day felt somewhat lonely and for a bit, you had a hard time figuring out why it had felt that way. The conclusion you had come was that it was because of the paper you were going to receive at the end of the day and you had no one to sulk or celebrate with once you received the grade. You constantly found yourself looking at the doorway in hope that Eli would show up, but he didn’t.

“Some of these papers really impressed me; while others…not so much.” You professor started as he passed you the paper upside down in order to hide you privacy. You gulped as you held your paper in front of you. The fact that he had finished that last sentence at your desk scared you. Did all the hard work go to waste? Or was he talking about a whole different group in general? Either way, you had lacked courage and support to even look at it yourself.

“____, how did you guys do?” Kevin asked as he approached your desk. He had a bright smile on his face. The look on his face showed how pleased he was with his own letter grade.

You sighed as you sat down in your stool still. “I’m not sure. I’m scared to look.” You confessed to him.

“I’m sure you two did well. Want me to check it with you?” he asked as he sat in Eli’s stool. You nodded and held one side of the stapled papers while Kevin held the other. “One the count of three. One…two…three.”

You closed your eyes as soon as you flipped it over. “I don’t know why you were so scared.” Kevin laughed in the seat next to you. “You guys did better than me.” You open your eyes as soon as he finished talking. To your astonishment, you had actually done great. The professor had given the paper an ‘A’. You jumped in your seat with pure excitement, but then realized that Eli wasn’t there to celebrate with you. You frowned and looked over at Kevin.

“I don’t know where he is.” He frowned as well. “Actually I haven’t seen him all weekend.” He sounded worried. You had to admit you were starting to feel a little worried as well. “So you haven’t had any contact with him either?” Kevin asked as you walked down the hallway to the cafeteria to get some lunch. You shook your head no and sighed. “I’m worried. He’s been acting weird lately.”

Kevin looked like he was about to say something, but stopped walking instead so you followed suit. “Do you hear that?” he whispered as he walked next to the wall. You walked quietly behind him until you reached the corner and snuck a peak. It was Eli with Eunmi.

“Why are you being so difficult?!” Eunmi whined as she crossed her arms and looked at Eli intensely. Eli rolled his eyes as he tried to walk away, in the direction both you and Kevin where hiding at, but Eunmi took a hold of Eli’s arm. “I know you still have feelings for me. So why are you denying them?”

“I don’t have feelings for you. Especially since I know how fake you are.” Eli growled as he glared at her. Though his facial expression seemed to be saying otherwise.

“Don’t lie to yourself. It’s not that hard. Your Noona is single. You’re single. You have feelings for me. We have a past together.” Eunmi replied. It almost sounded like she was teasing him.

“Let’s get something straight, the past is the past for a reason.” Eli started as his voice tried to gain composure, “I will not make the same mistake twice.” Eli lowered his eyes to look away from Eunmi. He looked so vulnerable while Eunmi looked as calm as if was a typical day for her. Though her acting background might have something to do with it. You wanted so badly to go over to Eli and pull him away from her.

He was obviously reliving a part of his past that had pained him and for some reason you felt hurt as well. There was a new feeling that you were starting to develop for him. You cared for him, but not like you have for any other person like Minsoo or Kevin. They were friends so obviously you cared for them; you loved them, but for Eli it was different. His appearance seemed to catch you eye more, as did his little habits. His smile sent chills up your spine as you recall them in your mind. When he’s not with you, he’s in your mind.

“We do have a past together and I did once have feelings for you,” you felt a pang in your chest as Eli spoke, ”but that doesn’t mean that I still do.” Eunmi looked as though she was about to say something, but Eli stopped her. “And just so you now, you may be single, but I’m not. So you can just leave me alone.” Eli emphasized as he pulled his arm away from Eunmi.

“I don’t believe you. Prove it to me. Who’s your girlfriend?” Eunmi asked as her heartbeat started racing.

Eli felt his heartbeat race fast as well. He had been telling the truth until now, but he really wanted Eunmi to stay away from him. So in order to keep his lie in place, he decided to leave it to her imagination. “That’s none of your business.” Eli smirked as he turned away from her and headed to the cafeteria.

“You two can come out now.” Eli said smoothly as he stopped at the corner. He placed his hands in his pockets and smiled at you. Kevin rubbed the back of his head and quickly apologized while you mumbled your own apology at him. The three of you headed towards the cafeteria as nothing had ever happened, but you felt as though something had changed.

“By the way how did your caveman do?” Eli smiled at you as you blushed madly and looked away. YOUR. It was then that you  had realized something. You were starting to fall for him. You were developing feelings for him. Kim Elison. The same guy that tortured you at the beginning of the semester.

The thought of if sent electric chills throughout your body and you couldn’t help but smile. You didn’t want to fight the feelings, but yet you felt as though you needed to hold back.

“______~!” Eli cooed, “Are you even listening to me piggy?” he teased as you felt butterflies submerge from your abdomen to your cheeks.

It felt wrong because you felt your feelings being one-sided. You were falling in love with Eli and Eli had a girlfriend.