Chapter 20

My Personal Jerk

 

It’s getting a little cold outside as the season starts to change. The breeze starts to pick up a little as it sends chills down your spine. You sigh as you wait for Minsoo to pick you up. He was determined on taking you to school because walking and taking the bus was out of the question for him.

You let out a short breath as you start to shiver a little. It’s time to change your attire. You rub your arms as you try to bring some warmth into your body. From a short distance you can see a car pulling up to the curve where you were impatiently waiting. The window then rolled down and from the driver’s side an enthusiastic Minsoo looked up at you.

“What are you waiting for?” he chuckled. His smile stretched widely to both of the sides of his face as a dimple started. It was something you hadn’t noticed before.  

You awkwardly opened the car door and got in. Minsoo watched you as you buckled yourself in. Overall you felt an overwhelming awkward aura as you sat in his car. “Are we going?” you asked as you looked at the street ahead of you.

Minsoo sighed and pulled away from the curve as he started driving to school. The streets weren’t overly busy yet since it was early in the morning, but as you both approached the campus, it seemed to be getting more populated.

Minsoo stopped the car as he waited for pedestrians to walk by on the crosswalk. You looked at the interior of the car. It all looked new.

“What’s wrong?” Minsoo asked you as he looked over at you.

You raised an eyebrow as you came into a new realization. “When did you get a car?”

“My parents got it for me.” He smiled proudly. You laughed at him as you waited for him to continue driving to school.

 

The two of you walked in silence towards the campus. There really wasn’t much you wanted to say. You just wanted peace and quiet; some time for yourself wouldn’t have been too bad either. It would give time to sort out your thoughts.

“Noona,” Minsoo started as he slowed his pace while looking over at you.

You continued to walk slowly as you kicked a pebble across the pathway. It skid across and landed on border line between the pavement and the grass. “Hmm?” you lazily replied.

“I have to go the opposite way, but if you need me just text me okay?” he looked at you with concern. You looked at him and slightly smiled at him. You couldn’t be mean to him when he was trying to help you.

“I’ll see you later then!” he waved at you as he was taking off to his first class.

 

 

Your first class consisted of the usual; A boring lecture with a few students finding it hard to concentrate of the lecture. You tried to concentrate on what the professor was trying to explain, but your mind kept wondering off.

You had Biology after this class. This meant that you have to sit next to Eli for a three hour class. How were you supposed to survive the class long enough which your emotions sending you through a downwards spiral into insanity?

The seat you had chosen for today had become uncomfortable as the time passed by. You kept fidgeting in your seat as you tried to accommodate yourself in the classroom so you could finally pay attention. Not that it matter anymore since the class was about to end.

“Alright class I’ll see you Thursday.” The professor dismissed as he packed his belongings into a ancient black suit case of his. Perhaps he had grown clingy to it.

As you placed your black, spiraled notebook into your backpack, you started to feel a huge weight on your shoulders as you started to realize the class you had next. With the pure uneasy feeling overwhelming you as you slowly started preparing to leave the classroom. It was as if you were trying your hardest to not make it to class yet you were forcing yourself too. The sound of your school mates chattering down the hallways were the only thing that you could hear or pay attention to.

When you finally arrived at the classroom door, you hesitated a bit. You leered in the classroom to check if Eli was already sitting in his seat, but he wasn’t. With a bit of relief, you sighed and made your way towards your seat. Kevin was already in the classroom which was kind of odd since Eli wasn’t already in there with him.

“Good morning!” Kevin smiled cheerily to you as he looked up from his seat. He was wearing a light gray hoodie and his hair was neatly combed as usual.

“Good morning Kevin.” You replied half enthusiastically. His smile weakened as he looked at the expression on your face.

“Is everything okay?” he asked while turning around since you decided to sit behind him with slumped shoulders. You nodded you head as you tried to reassure him that you were well, but he wasn’t buying it. “If something’s wrong I’ll be here to listen okay?”

You nodded at him. His kindness was a bit comforting. “I know. Thank you.” You smiled back at him. He pursed his lips as he looked at your desk. He looked like  he had something on his mind.

“Can I ask you something?” he looked up at you with a serious face. You looked at him questionably before allowing him to continue. “Eli has been acting weird for the past couple of days. Would you know why?”

You looked away from his gaze before replying. “No. Why would I know?”

“Well you’re his girlfriend.” You were about to respond to him, but just as you were about to reply the professor walked into the classroom with other students not far behind, including Eli.

Eli walked over to his seat and sat down next to you.  He looked over at you as, but you pretended as though you didn’t see him.

“Hey! Don’t be rude. Say ‘Goodmorning boo’ to you boyfriend or something.” He teased.

You rolled your eyes and looked over at him. “Good morning caveman.” He scoffed as he turned his attention over to the professor since you two had a habit of getting in trouble for talking during class, he decided to end the conversation there.

As the class proceeded normally, Eli managed to write you a message on a piece of paper.

 

Are you free this afternoon?

 

After you finished reading, you wrote down your reply and handed it to him when the professor wasn’t looking.

 

Besides studying, no.

 

Eli smiled at the paper and clicked his pen one more time as he replied to you.

 

Good because I’m borrowing you today.

 

Once he gave you his reply, he propped his elbows onto the table and rested his chin in his hands. You furrowed your eyebrows as you looked over at him. He made is sound like you were an object, but it was probably his way of teasing you. At least that’s how you took it because he was smirking as he looked at watch the professor was explaining.

“Hey. I’m not an object! You can’t borrow me!” you whispered to him in an annoyed tone.

“______, pay attention or I am going to have to switch your partner as it seems as though you cannot behave with your boyfriend as your partner.” The professor teased as he scolded you.

“Yes sir.” You replied embarrassedly as you hung your head down so that none of the other students would look at you. Eli just snickered and continued to look towards the front of the class as if nothing had happened. You grabbed your pencil as you furiously wrote a message to Eli and passing it to him again.

 

STOP SMILING YOU JERK.

 

Eli chuckled as he read what you had written and took his pen once more to reply to you.

 

I’m only smiling because you look cute when you’re embarrassed. Now pay attention before you get us both in trouble.

 

Eli slid the paper towards you and you took it from him. You looked down at it as if you were trying to decipher what language Eli was speaking because there was one thing that you couldn’t comprehend. Eli just called you cute.