Sixty

On The Rooftop

The three stared at Lani with eagerness in their eyes, wondering what it was that she had to say. They could tell by her expression that it was good news and were excited to hear what it was.

“What is it?” L.Joe questioned, his expression finally softening.

“Well… I’m moving back to Seoul!” she exclaimed with a wide smile.

Before she could say anymore, L.Joe flung his arms around her and practically jumped on her, almost knocking her over.

“My baby’s finally coming home,” he cooed as he buried her head in his chest. Changjo and Ricky didn’t hide their excitement either, as they broke out into ear to ear smiles and started asking question after question.

“Nothing’s final yet but I’ve already talked it over with my parents and aunt. I’m going to go back to school and I’m looking for a job and an apartment.”

“Just come live with me babe,” L.Joe said, “you can sleep next to me every night,” he lovingly chanted.

“You sleep on a single person bed,” she pointed, as if that was the only flaw with his idea.

“Then you can sleep on top of me,” he smirked.

“Please keep in mind that there are two other people in that room,” Changjo spoke up.

“There’s no need to worry Changjo-ah, I couldn’t stay in the dorm even if I wanted to. And I don’t want any of you mentioning this to Cap or Niel.”

“What about Chunji hyung?” Ricky questioned.

“Well, he actually already knows…” she sheepishly admitted. L.Joe gave her look, about to say something when she cut him off. “He knew I was hiding something and convinced me to tell him, but he’s only known for a couple days.”

The evening continued on with the four chatting about Lani’s future plans and before they knew it the sun was already setting and it was time for them to clean up and head back to the dorm. L.Joe’s mood was back up because of the good news and he was no longer annoyed with the maknaes; the four cleaned the rooftop and gathered the balloons at Lani’s request still casually chatting. Sneaking Lani out of the building was much easier now that she had a herd of balloons to hide behind and less people were around due to the late hour.

Finally, the four returned to the dorm and shuffled through the door one by one. Lani was the first to enter the living room and found two pairs of eyes staring at her.

Before Lani could say anything, the boy jumped out of his seat and instantly got down on his knees and formally bowed to her.

“Wh-what’s going on?” she asked, confused and shocked.

“Lani-ssi, I’m so sorry,” he apologized over and over.

“Uhhhh,” Lani wasn’t sure what to say. L.Joe, Ricky, and Changjo stood behind her and silently watched from a distance.

“Junghwan,” Niel shook the boy’s shoulder, “what are you doing?”

Niel rubbed the back of his neck and laughed awkwardly, “um, this is my friend Junghwan…” he introduced, feeling slightly embarrassed.

“Ah,” Lani said, finally understanding the situation. “Junghwan-ah,” she called.

He looked up at her, his eyes big and apologetic.

“I forgive you, so will you please stand up?” she softly told him.

He did as told and got on his feet, straightening out his clothes and taking a step back; he bowed his head, apologizing once more and continued to stare down at the floor.

Lani reached out her hand to him, “I don’t think we’ve officially met, it’s nice to meet you Junghwan.”

He looked up to see her warmly smiling at him, “it’s nice to meet you too Lani-ssi,” he shyly said as he reached out and shook her hand.

Once all the awkwardness had subsided, Junghwan became much more talkative and was able to hold a conversation with Lani. She talked with him, Niel, and the maknaes until Junghwan realized the time.

“I better get home before my mom starts to worry,” he said, about to stand up.

“Why don’t you just crash here?” Niel suggested.

“It’ll be just like a slumber party with Junghwan and Lani noona here!” Ricky giddily added.

“Yeah!” Changjo piped up, “I’ve never had a slumber party before.”

“Me neither,” Junghwan responded.

“Then it’s settled!” Niel announced, “We’re having a slumber party!”

“I’ll call my mom and tell her!” Junghwan stated, excitement showing on his face.

“Noona, you’ve been to a slumber party before, right?” Changjo questioned. She nodded her head in response and Changjo continued, “So what exactly do we do at a slumber party?”

“Unless you want make overs and manicures, I can’t help you there,” she chuckled.

The night carried on with laughter and high spirits; they told stories, played games, and just enjoyed each other’s company. Lani pulled Cap and Niel aside when she had the chance and shared with them the good news. Cap was estatic that she was finally coming back, and Niel couldn’t help but feel excited that he’d once again get to spend time with Lani, who he’d grown fond of after meeting her so many times in their secret hideaway. Hours passed by quickly and in no time, the room was filled with yawns and heavy eyelids. Sleeping arrangments had been made by Cap; Junghwan would take the couch and Lani would be sleeping on Cap’s bed while he slept on the floor. Of course L.Joe had his objections, but the group decided to ignore him and get ready for bed. Soon everyone was in the designated sleeping places and the apartment fell silent; the laughing quieted and the voices turned into hushed whispers.