Twenty Five

On The Rooftop

 

A few days had passed since the scandal of Lani broke out. Things were finally starting to calm down; well that’s what she thought. Lani was making her way to the company building when she saw a big crowd in front of the doors. She was confused as to why they were there and cautiously continued walking.

“There she is!” someone yelled out.

Everyone turned to face her. Each and everyone had a mischievous, angry, and envious expression on their face. Lani became wary and tried to quickly walk past them into the building. To her dismay, she was not able to get past them without trouble. She kept her head down and moved forward, but she felt a sudden coldness splash against her back.  She whipped around to face the culprit. It was a girl with long black hair that fell to her waist, she looked like she was in high school and she had a smirk plastered across her face; she was obviously the leader of the whole mess. The other girls around her were also holding water balloons and each had an evil smile on their face. Before Lani could react, she was whipped by the balloons and completely soaked.

“Why are you doing this to me?!” she questioned, angry but also scared.

The water balloon attack came to a halt and someone stepped up, “Don’t act so innocent you ,” the leader spat at her.

“What are you talking about?” Lani was so confused and frustrated. She didn’t know what she did to deserve this.

Instead of giving her an answer, balloons started flying at her from all directions. Lani shivered in the cold and pushed through the crowd to the doors. Before she reached the entrance, she saw one girl in particular with short brown hair, front bangs and big round glasses who just stood there watching the whole thing happen. Lani ducked from as many balloons as she could and rushed inside; she shut the door behind her and started running forward. Tears threatened to fall, but she refused to let them. She made her way to the elevator and pressed the button for the top floor. Once the doors opened, she attempted to dash out, but she was stopped by someone’s hard chest. She looked up to see Changjo staring down at her. She blinked a few times before bowing her head and running past him.

“Lani?” Changjo called out. “Lani, where are you going?” He hadn’t talked to her in awhile but he was filled with concern. Her tear stained face had pained him and he turned immediately to chase after her. He followed her up a flight of stairs he had never bothered to climb before and out the door. Once he was outside he looked around to see the amazing view of Seoul. He’d never been on the roof top before and the scenery from there was just beautiful. His gaze scanned the area only to land on Lani who was standing at the edge, looking over the railing.

“LANI NO!” Changjo exclaimed as he ran to her.

He locked his arms around her waist and pulled her backwards until they were a safe distance away from the edge. He turned her around and kept his hands firmly on her arms.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” he asked, his voice filled with rage.

Lani looked up at him and blinked innocently.

“How could you even think of that?! I know I haven’t really been around lately, but how could you think of doing something so rash?! Times may be hard, but that’s not an excuse,” Changjo spoke. “But really Lani?” His voice became much louder as he stared down at her. “This isn’t the answer Lani. You can talk to someone, you can talk to me. What would have happened if you hadn’t run into me by the elevator?! Would you have ran up her and flung yourself over the railing?!”

Lani let out a small giggle and stared down at her feet.

“Why are you laughing!?” Changjo demanded.

“You thought I came up here to jump off the roof?” she let another small laugh escape her lips.

“That’s not what you were doing…?” Changjo asked in confusion.

“No silly,” Lani replied. “I was sad, yes, but I wasn’t going to jump. I was just watching the group of anti fans…” her voice trailed off as her mind returned to what had happened just a few moments earlier.

“Do you want to sit down and talk?” Changjo offered.

When she nodded in response, Changjo lead her to a corner of the roof top near the door and motioned for her to sit down. She did as told and took a seat before Changjo joined her.

“So… Why don’t you tell me what’s going on?” he asked her.

Lani explained to Changjo what had happened earlier and she was not able to control her emotions. Eventually, tears slipped down her cheeks and she started crying silently. Changjo couldn’t bear to see her like that and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She cried into his chest and he held her tightly.

“I just don’t understand why they’re doing this to me,” she managed to say between muffled sobs.

“Wait, didn’t you see the news today?” he asked slightly surprised.

“The news? What news?”

Instead of replying, Changjo went into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He clicked the web browser and typed in the most well known news site for entertainment. He browsed briefly through the articles until he found the one he was looking for. He clicked on it and handed the phone to Lani. She took it from his hand and looked at the screen carefully. Her eyes widened when she saw her name on the screen and soon following it was L.Joe’s. There were accusations of L.Joe being the father of her child (which she refused to admit to the public) and pictures of them together on multiple occasions. She had a blank expression as she continued to read and look at the pictures. One in particular stood out to her. It was of L.Joe by himself, but he was holding her green umbrella as he left her building. That was only a few days ago… she thought as her memory flashed back to the night of the big storm.

“Are you alright?” Changjo questioned, her silence had worried him and he was very concerned.

“Yeah… Well I understand why I have so many anti-fans now…” she trailed off.

“Well it doesn’t matter what they think,” Changjo replied firmly. “They don’t know the whole story. They don’t know your true personality. They don’t have the right to judge you, and even thought they still do, it shouldn’t matter to you.”

“What do you think of me Changjo-ah?” she suddenly asked.

“I can’t say. I don’t know the whole story; I can’t tell you what I think yet…” Changjo pointed out.

Lani decided to tell Changjo the whole story, from the day with L.Joe on the rooftop, to the day she found out about the miscarriage, to just a few days ago when the first scandal broke loose. Changjo felt sympathy for Lani and felt guilty for judging her and leaving her in her time of need. He apologized and soon they were back on good terms, but he couldn’t say the same for Ricky. He promised he’d talk to him and Lani and Changjo continued their small conversation on the roof top.

 


don't you just love Changjo?

huff~ well i have one more exam to do... its been a stressful week x.x  

thank you guys so much for being patient with me :)

and don't forget to comment :)