Twenty Seven

On The Rooftop

 

Lani followed Changjo across the poorly taken care of lawn to a rundown shed. It was a rather big shed, but it looked old, with worn down boards making up the walls and a door that looked like it would fall off any minute. Changjo reached into his pocket and pulled out a key. He pushed it into the padlock, it gave a small click when he turned it and the lock popped open.

"Come on," Changjo motioned as he creaked the door open and entered.

Lani followed closely behind him and also made her way into the old shed. Just as Lani had predicted, it was just as bad on the inside as it was on the outside. Everything looked worn out and broken; there wasn’t much inside, but what was had a thin layer of dust blanketing over it. The only thing in the small space that seemed to ever be used was a maroon, leather, two-seater sofa. Lani could only wonder why there was even a sofa in a place like this. She turned her attention to Changjo in search of answers and an explanation.

“I know this isn’t the nicest place, but if you ever need somewhere to be alone you can always come here. I found it awhile back but I never have the chance to come here anymore. I dragged the couch in by myself so as far as I know, no one else knows about it,” Changjo explained to Lani.

She nodded in understanding and her eyes wandered the room. Changjo turned to face Lani and gently grabbed her hand. She was slightly shocked at the sudden contact but understood when Changjo placed the key in the palm of her hand and closed her fingers tightly around it.

"We better get going," Changjo stated as he opened the door.

They walked across the yard and Lani followed Changjo to the front of the house. He led her through the neighbourhood and showed her all the back streets. By time they had gotten to a main road, they were already half way to Lani's apartment. They had to part once Changjo realized he was going to be late for practice; Lani said goodbye to him and finally felt content that she had her friend back, even if they weren't exactly at the best friend stage yet.

After about two blocks, Lani could see a group of people surrounding the doors of her apartment building. She became wary and did not want to approach them, but to her dismay, there was nothing she could do about it if she wanted to get home. She kept her head down and hoped no one would recognize her with the disguise Changjo had given her. She walked quickly as the group of people carefully examined her... Until, someone recognized her. As she had presumed, they were a group of anti-fans probably there to throw more water balloons at her. She tried to make an escape from the crowd but the antis closed in on her until she was completely surrounded. They began spitting out vulgar words at her and someone flicked her hat off. Another grabbed her sunglasses and threw them on the ground, landing next to the hat. She turned to see who was to blame when she suddenly felt a hard object hit the back of her head. It made a cracking sound and the slimy, thick liquid slid down her back. Soon, eggs were being pelted at her from all directions. She tried to run, she just had to get out of there, but there was nowhere to go. No matter how much she tried to push through the crowd, they always pushed her back, carelessly shoving her. They continued with the eggs and yelled all sorts of horrible things at her. Lani couldn't control her tears and they streamed down her face until she was practically sobbing.

"Please, just let me go," she croaked with a shaky voice.

"You heard her guys, maybe we should let her through," a voice from the crowd declared.

Lani was thankful to the person who had spoken up for her and began forward as the crowd split to let her through. She was almost at the door; her hand could almost grab the doorknob when something was dumped over her. The white powder was poured over her whole body, sticking to her where the egg was smeared on her clothes and hair. Lani recognized the substance as flour and tried to wipe it from her face. She couldn't see and began coughing as the powder got stuck in . The group of antis stood there and laughed at her, pointing fingers and calling her names. She pushed through the doors as hot tears rolled down her cheeks. She got into the elevator and pressed the button, the tears never stopping. She arrived at her door and fumbled through her bag in search of her key, her fingers trembled as she turned the key and the door opened. Lani rushed in and locked the door behind her. She flicked on the lights and headed straight to the bathroom. She pulled off all her clothes and threw them on the ground; she the water and entered the steaming hot shower. The water fell over her body and washed over her face, mixing with the stream of tears. Her hair was tangled and filled with clumps of egg and flour; she ran her fingers through it trying to get out the knots. She tried not to think of what happened and focused only on cleaning herself.

Once Lani was out of the shower, she felt very refreshed and relaxed. She grabbed the clothes off of the floor, headed straight to the laundry room, and dumped the clothes into the sink. She scrubbed Changjo’s sweater first, making sure to get off any stains and threw it into the washing machine. She did the same to the rest and headed to the kitchen to make herself a cup of tea. As she was sitting by the table, her phone vibrated with a text. She looked at it and was happy to see it was Changjo checking on her. She replied normally making sure not to tell him of what happened in front of her apartment. They arranged for a time when he and Ricky could come over, in hope of restoring their friendship. Lani feeling much better, smiled to herself and continued sipping the hot tea.


why dont you guys comment :(