Twenty Two

On The Rooftop

 

Lani left the kitchen once Niel informed her that L.Joe was in his room. She walked to the end of the hall and stopped in front of the closed door. She lifted her hand and knocked twice lightly. Lani waited for a response, but all she heard in return was silence. She knocked again, but instead of waiting for an answer, she turned the doorknob and slowly opened the door. Once she entered the room, she saw L.Joe sitting on the edge of Chunji’s bed holding the pillow she made.

Lani walked slowly towards L.Joe, but seeing that he wouldn’t look up, she lightly called, “Byunghun-ah~”

No response.

“Byungie? Whats wrong?” she asked with concern as she took a seat next to him. Once again he didn’t reply. “Byunghun,” she tried once more. But like before, he didn’t reply. “Yah! Lee Byunghun!” she yelled, losing her cool.

L.Joe’s head snapped up at Lani’s sudden anger.

“What’s wrong? Why are you acting like this?” she asked him in a much calmer voice.

“No reason,” L.Joe replied in a short, low voice.

“Does it have something to do with this?” Lani motioned towards the pillow in his lap.

“No,” he threw the pillow on the floor.

“Hey!” Lani exclaimed. She got up and grabbed the pillow. “Don’t throw it!” She sat back down beside him.

“Oh I’m sorry I hurt your precious Chunji’s pillow,” he snapped back.

“Precious Chunji? What are you talking about?”

“Well it’s obvious that you like him more than me. Why else would you always be so happy around him? Why else would you spend so much time with him? Why would you let him stay over at your house? Why would you make him stupid things like this?!” he spat as he grabbed the pillow out of her grip.

“You think the pillow I made is stupid?” Lani asked a bit hurt.

“It’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen!”

“How could you say something like that? And what do you mean I like Chunji more than you? He’s my best friend L.Joe. Obviously I’m happy around him. Obviously I let him stay at my house and I make him stupid things like this because he likes them!”

They were both yelling now, but before L.Joe could say anymore, there was a light knock on the door. Expectantly they both looked up and as they had assumed, Chunji walked in.

“Speak of the devil…” L.Joe said under his breath causing Lani to shoot him a death glare.

“Why don’t you guys stop arguing for awhile and come out and eat? Cap and I just finished making dinner,” Chunji said feeling the tension in the air.

Lani looked to L.Joe then back to Chunji.

“Come on Lani, oppas made you yummy food.” Chunji stretched out his hand and motioned her to follow him. “L.Joe, you come out too.”

Lani got up and silently followed Chunji out of the room. They arrived at the table where Cap, Niel, Changjo, and Ricky were waiting for them so they could begin eating. There was a heavy atmosphere and Lani could tell it was because of her fight with L.Joe. She took a seat in between Cap and Chunji leaving an open seat for L.Joe on the left of Chunji. Lani was unusually quiet as she sat at the table just nibbling at her rice. L.Joe soon entered and everyone could feel the tension rise. Lani and L.Joe refused to make eye contact and kept their eyes glued on their food.

“Eat some more, Lani,” Chunji said with care as he placed a small piece of kalbi on her mound of rice.

L.Joe watched from the corner of his eye and the action made him scoff at the two. Lani shot him another glare before picking up her chopsticks and continuing her meal. Cap noticed that L.Joe also wasn’t eating at the rate he usually would and pushed a dish towards him, motioning for him to eat.

“L.Joe, have some,” the leader said.

“I don’t think Chunji wants me to. He’d rather feed it all to his ‘best friend’,” L.Joe remarked, pushing the dish away.

Throughout the entire meal, L.Joe felt the need to make snarky comments directed to Chunji and Lani. There was a mutual agreement between all to ignore him, until Lani couldn’t take it anymore.

“Do you have to be so immature L.Joe?” Lani accused, slamming her chopsticks down on the table.

“I’m not being immature!” he shot back.

“Yes you are!”

“Nuh uh!”

“Uh huh!”

They had both forgotten about the meal they were eating and stood face to face accusingly yelling at each other. L.Joe and Lani continued bickering back and forth as the other members sat in silence quietly watching the scene in front of them until Chunji spoke up, “now, now guys, don’t you think it’s a little immature of both of you to be having this argument?”

“You stay out of this!” L.Joe snapped at him before abruptly storming off. Chunji started at him in bewilderment unable to process everything that had just happened.

Lani sat back down and let out an exasperated sigh. “I’m not really hungry right now…” she stated as she stared blankly at the table.

“That’s alright. Why don’t you go watch TV or read a book in my room?” CAP suggested. “I’ll be right in as soon as I’m done.”

“Thanks,” Lani said softly and gave him a small smile before walking off.

-------------------------

 

It's been such a busy holiday for me. I hope all of you had a safe and happy holiday! Happy New Year ! :)