Fifty Five

On The Rooftop

Lani stirred in her sleep, waking when the sunlight shone through the window illuminating the room. She forced her heavy eyelids to open, to see she was in a place that wasn't too familiar to her. In a slow movement, Lani pulled herself up into a sitting position, resulting in a sharp pain traveling through her head. Everything spun as she tried to put the pieces together from the night before, only remembering small fragments of what happened. Looking for answers, Lani rolled over and swung her legs over the edge of the bed, earning an alarming squeal from something much softer than wood floor under her feet. She quickly retreated back on the bed and peered over the edge to see a shirtless Chunji lying on the floor. 

"Chunji?" Lani unsurely called.

He rolled over to face her, "good morning sleepy head," he greeted with a chuckle.

"What happened last night?" she questioned, still in a daze.

"That's what I wanna know," he retorted.

"I feel horrible," Lani said as she rested her throbbing head on the palm of her hand. 

"CAP picked up some soup for your hang over, I'll go warm it up."

"No it's okay, I can do it," Lani gave him a small smile, "I have to use the washroom anyways," she sheepishly laughed. Lani carefully manoeuvred around Chunji who was still sprawled across the floor, and exited the room. As she walked to the bathroom, she noticed another door that was cracked open. Quietly, she crept up to it and peered in, to see L.Joe sitting on his bed with his phone in his hand. She watched as he raised his phone to his ear and waited. Suddenly she heard a familiar ring tone, her ringtone. Her eyes widened and she turned around and rushed into the bathroom before he could notice her standing there.

"Hyung?" she heard L.Joe's voice call out.

"Uh, wae?" Chunji hesitantly responded.

"Was that Lani's phone I just heard ringing?" 

"Boh?" Chunji tried to act as clueless as possible, "why would Lani's phone be here?" Chunji asked, making L.Joe feel stupid for even asking.

Lani listened for L.Joe to close his door, before washing up and leaving the bathroom. She headed to the kitchen and easily found the bowl of soup sitting on the counter; she threw it in the microwave and waited patiently for it to warm up. As she was walking back to CAP's room with the soup in her hands, she heard the click of a door opening and her head turned to look down the hall. Standing in the doorway just a few meters from her was L.Joe with a confused and surprised expression on his face. Lani dashed away from his stare and ducked into the room, slamming the door shut behind her only to earn questioning looks from Chunji. She pressed her finger against her lips in a 'shhh' manner and placed the bowl down on the desk before rolling under the bed.

"Lani?!" L.Joe called out as his hasty footsteps approached the door.

Chunji rushed to the door and pressed his back against it, making sure to hold it shut.

L.Joe frantically turned the door knob as he tried to push it open; he banged on the door desperately trying to open it.

"Yah Chunji!" L.Joe spat, "let me in!"

"Oh? The doors stuck," Chunji tried to improvise.

"Yah! Lee Chunji!" L.Joe pushed the door in with all his strength, Chunji was thrown back and tumbled across the floor. The door swung open and L.Joe barged in.

"Lani?!" he called out, his tone much softer. "Lani, where are you?!"

Lani squeezed her eyes shut and held her breath as she tried to be as quiet as possible. It didn’t take very long for L.Joe to check under the bed in his search for Lani only to be pleasantly surprised when he found her.

“Lani, what are you doing under there?” he asked as he lightly shook her leg.

She pulled her leg in at his touch and tried to waddle away from him in the tight space.

L.Joe stopped her by grabbing her ankle before she could completely disappear from his sight. “Lani? Why are you hiding from me? What are you doing here so early? Can you please come out and talk to me?” L.Joe pleaded, uncertain about what exactly was going on.

“No,” Lani stubbornly replied to him.

L.Joe turned to look at Chunji who was sitting on the floor just next to the door, “why is she under there?” he asked, looking for answers.

Chunji just shrugged his shoulders in response and looked away, not wanting to give L.Joe answers.

“Lani~” L.Joe smoothly chanted.

“Go away!” she yelled in a very childlike manner.

“Wae? I just want to talk to you,” L.Joe was taken aback by her unfamiliar behaviour.

“I don’t want to see you right now!” she shot back, her voice cracking as she let the tears fall.

“Lani? Are you crying?” L.Joe began to panic; he hated it when Lani cried, especially when he didn’t know the reason why. He got up from where he was sitting and walked to the other side of the bed; he kneeled down on the floor to make eye contact with Lani. As soon as she saw him, she tried to turn herself around only to be stopped by L.Joe’s strong grip. “Lani,” he cooed softly, “please come out.”

After a lot of convincing, Lani finally wiggled out of her hiding spot and climbed up on the bed. She called Chunji to sit next to her, not letting L.Joe get to close; she refused to look at him and wouldn’t speak directly at him.