Fifteen

On The Rooftop

 

“Just one more day until your official debut, how do you feel?” Lani’s trainer asked as they concluded practice.

“Nervous more than anything…” Lani replied wiping the sweat from her forehead.

“Well you better go home and get some sleep. One more day to practice then its D-Day!” her trainer exclaimed, very excited for her official debut.

The next day passed very quickly for Lani. She spent it practicing one last time and headed home early to be well rested for the next day. She was lying in her bed unable to sleep. It was just past 12am, just a matter of hours until she would be dancing and singing on stage in front of a crowd of people. The butterflies in her stomach wouldn’t stop as she thought about the day ahead of her. Lani picked up her phone from the side table and quickly dialed L.Joe’s number. She waited patiently as the phone rang, but to her dismay, no one answered. Lani sighed knowing L.Joe was already far off into dream land.

Lani tried to fall asleep, but no matter how long she lay there with her eyes shut, sleep never took her. She grabbed her phone once more and even though she knew he was probably asleep, she dialed Chunji’s number. The phone rang four times and when she was about to hang up, she heard someone pick up on the other line.

“Chunji oppa?” Lani asked quietly.

“This is CAP,” a tired voice spoke.

“CAP oppa? I’m sorry; I must’ve dialed the wrong number.”

“Oh, no you didn’t, I guess Chunji just forgot his phone in my room.”

“Oh, I’m sorry for waking you then, go back to sleep,” Lani said feeling bad that she had woken up the very busy leader.

“It’s okay, but is everything alright?” CAP asked, his voice now laced with concern.

“Everything’s fine, I just couldn’t fall asleep so I was looking for someone to talk to,” she replied sheepishly.

“Well you can talk to me,” CAP said before starting a conversation.

Lani and CAP talked for awhile just getting to know each other better. CAP may know one of Lani’s biggest secrets, but other than that, he knew as much as a stranger would. And since practically his whole group found a friend in her, he wanted to too. They told each other about their pasts, their friends, their families, and how they came to be idols. There was a lot more to CAP than Lani thought. His life wasn’t the easiest and he worked very hard in becoming an idol. He told her stories from his childhood, some made her laugh and others she couldn’t help but feel sad. In return, she also spoke of her childhood and explained why her parents weren’t around. CAP was very shocked hearing that Lani had been living alone for quite awhile but was able to take care of herself well. The stories and deep conversation continued until Lani realized the time. In a few hours she was supposed to be getting up, but how would she do that if she was yet to sleep? Before CAP could say his final goodbye, Lani stopped him.

“Umm, can you sing me a song?” she asked hesitantly.

“Sing you a song?” CAP said sounding a bit confused.

“Yeah, Chunji always does it when I can’t sleep.”

“But Chunji’s a singer, I’m a rapper,” CAP replied pointing out a valid point.

“I know, but I still think you’ll be able to do it,” Lani said trying to encourage him.

CAP let out a sigh and responded, “I’m only doing this because you can’t sleep and you have a big day tomorrow. You better feel lucky; you’re the only one who gets to hear this voice singing.”

 Lani waited patiently as CAP did a few warm ups for his throat, then he started. His deep, charismatic voice floated smoothly in the air; the softness his harsh voice could bring amazed Lani. CAP continued singing until he heard the even breathing of Lani, indicating that she had fallen asleep.

-

Banging on her door woke Lani up from her peaceful sleep. She groggily forced herself out of her bed and made her way to the door and opened it.

“Lani, why aren’t you ready yet?!” L.Joe exclaimed staring her up and down.

“What…?” Lani said still half asleep.

“Your manager will be her here in 20 minutes to get you! I can’t believe you slept in on the day of your debut,” L.Joe exclaimed as he grabbed her wrist and lead her back to her room.

Lani’s eyes widened in realization, “I totally forgot!”

And with her last words, she pushed L.Joe aside and ran into her room. She scurried around grabbing her clothes then bolted into the bathroom. L.Joe chuckled and headed into the kitchen to prepare breakfast for her.

Lani walked out of the bathroom with her hair slightly damp and took a seat at the table.

“I made you breakfast,” L.Joe said with a smile as he placed a plate in front of her.

“Toast…?” Lani replied looking at what L.Joe had prepared.

L.Joe scratched the back of his neck and smiled sheepishly, “it’s the only thing I know how to make…”

Lani smiled warmly and took a bite. Just as she finished, her phone rang, indicating that her manager was waiting outside for her. The whole way, Lani couldn’t stop talking about how nervous and excited she was. They finally arrived, and L.Joe and Lani parted ways, heading to their dressing rooms. Once Lani was done, she decided to visit Teen Top before their performance. She walked into the dressing room and the members were sitting around getting their makeup and hair done.

“Noona!” Ricky and Changjo said in unison.

“Annyong!” Lani beamed.

She made her way to the couch and sat next to CAP who was quietly playing a game on his phone.

“Lani, hey,” he said with a smile.

“Hi oppa,” Lani replied.

She was about to ask CAP a question when she let out a yawn, gaining attention from all the Teen Top members, but Niel.

“Noona, are you sleepy?” “Didn’t you get enough sleep last night?” “What time did you go to sleep?” Ricky, Changjo, and Chunji bombarded her with questions as they began to worry.

“I was up pretty late actually,” Lani replied with a shy smile.

“Is that why you slept in?” L.Joe asked.

“You slept in?!” “What kept you awake?” “Were you nervous?” “What time did you sleep?” “What were you doing up?” they continued to question Lani.

CAP cleared his throat and everyone’s attention shifted to him.

“Um, I’m sorry…” CAP began, “for…uh… keeping you awake.”

L.Joe turned away trying to hide his envy and watched them through the mirror.

“Hyung, what are you talking about?” Ricky asked, clearly as jealous as L.Joe.

“I couldn’t sleep so I talked with CAP until I got tired,” Lani explained.

“Oh…” Ricky and Chango said together.

“Wait, why didn’t you call me?” Chunji asked joining the conversation.

“Oh, she did… you left your phone in my room… so if your bill is more than usual…” CAP trailed off as he chuckled slightly.


 

sorry for the late update D: