Eighteen

On The Rooftop

 

The whole day was spent at the broadcasting station for both Lani and Teen Top. Lani spent much of her time there hanging out with Chunji since she didn’t seem to see him as often anymore. He took her around the building, showing her different rooms and studios that she had not had the chance to see on her first day there. Chunji being the visual of Teen Top and also the most popular gave him the opportunity to meet many other idols. He led Lani to different waiting rooms and introduced her to all of the friends he had made in the music industry; most complimented her on her advanced vocal skills for a rookie and were happy to have met her. When it was Teen Top’s turn on stage, Lani had to part with Chunji; she continued exploring the building and ran into people she had only seen on her TV screen. Finally Lani had completed her stage and headed home.

It was just past 9pm when she entered her apartment; Lani headed to her room and threw on a pair of shorts with a tank top and tied her hair in a messy bun, not caring to remove the heavy makeup she was wearing. She made her way to the kitchen and quickly cooked some ramen, she was nowhere in the mood to prepare a dish that consisted of more than putting water and noodles in a pot. Patiently she sat on the counter swinging her legs freely waiting for the noodles to cook. Once it was ready, Lani took a seat on her couch, the TV and flicked through channels as she waited for her food to cool. As soon as the noodles were cool enough to not burn her tongue off, Lani quickly gobbled it down and left the bowl sitting on the coffee table.

After a few hours of watching re-runs of dramas, Lani began dozing off on the couch. Her eye lids dropped close and she slowly drifted asleep only to be startled by the vibrating of her phone.

[Open the door – L.Joe]

It took a minute for Lani to get out of her sleepy state before she got up and rushed to the door. She swung the door open to see L.Joe standing proudly with a bouquet of twelve beautiful pink roses. He held the roses out to Lani, motioning for her to take them. She gratefully accepted them and beamed as she sniffed the beautiful flowers. Lani looked back up at L.Joe’s smiling face when curiosity struck her.

“What’re the roses for?” she questioned suspiciously.

“You mean you don’t remember?” L.Joe raised an eyebrow at her.

“Umm…” Lani scratched the back of her neck as she looked at him sheepishly.

L.Joe smirked at her and wrapped his arm around her. He pulled her into his chest and whispered, “It’s our 100 day anniversary.”

Lani pulled back and looked at him with confusion. “That’s not until tomorrow.”

“It is tomorrow,” he commented with a teasing smile as he tapped his watch.

Lani let out a small ‘oh’ as her cheeks flushed red when she noticed it was just after twelve.

“What are you waiting for? Come on,” L.Joe motioned with his hand for Lani to follow.

Before Lani could ask any questions, L.Joe grabbed her hand and led her down the hall. They walked down the street hand in hand, L.Joe not telling Lani where they were going no matter how many times she asked. The few people who were out after midnight gave Lani a questionable look when they saw the way she was dressed. She kept her head down and followed in L.Joe’s footsteps.

“Are we almost there?” she whined, “people are looking at me funny.”

“Just about here,” L.Joe chanted as he came to a stop.

“The company building…?” Lani questioned more than confused by this point.

“Just follow me.”

Lani obediently did as told and followed L.Joe into the building. It wasn’t until L.Joe pushed the top floor button in the elevator Lani realized where he was taking her. Silently they rode up the elevator until it dinged and the door opened. They stepped out and made their way up the stairs; Lani began getting nervous, not sure of what to expect once the door to the roof opened. Carefully Lani stepped up the last step and stopped at the door. L.Joe glanced at Lani quickly before swinging the door open and guiding her through. Lani’s mouth hung open as she let out a gasp at the sight before her.

Over 20 pink candles were lit brightly forming a heart shape in the center of the roof. Rose petals were scattered everywhere in pink, red, and white. In the middle of the heart, there laid a small blanket with a plain white cardboard box sitting on top of it. L.Joe advanced forward and hesitantly Lani followed. She was at a loss for words; she couldn’t believe what she was seeing.

“Sit,” L.Joe told her.

Lani did as told and took a seat on the blanket. L.Joe sat next to her and gave her a warm smile. He pushed the white box towards her, “open it.”

Lani’s small fingers maneuvered the box and the lid popped open. A small but cute cake was secured inside, covered with bright red strawberries and swirls of whip cream. Lani looked up at L.Joe, her eyes filled with awe.

“Do you like it?” he asked with a sweet smile.

“I love it,” Lani responded, “I love it all.”

“I thought you would,” he smiled. “The roof top, like the first time we met and the same cake from the same café that we had on our first date. Oh, and this.” L.Joe pulled out a rectangular leather box from his pocket and handed it to Lani.

“What’s this?” she questioned.

“Your present,” he lightly replied.

“But… you already did so much for me… and you got me a present?”

“Well it’s sort of for me too.” L.Joe fingers grazed Lani’s as he reached over and opened the box. “Couple rings… well necklaces,” he stated.

Lani carefully picked up the white gold ring engraved with the word ‘love’ and tiny diamonds. A chain also made out of white gold held the ring securely and in between two loops in the chain there was a small rectangular plate with Lani’s name engraved.

“It’s beautiful,” she whispered as a tear slid down her cheek.

“Lani, what’s wrong? Don’t you like it?” L.Joe asked with concern as he wiped away her tear.

“I love it. No one has ever done anything like this for me. Thank you L.Joe.” Lani’s voice was filled with sincerity as she leaned over and wrapped her arms around L.Joe’s neck.

L.Joe helped Lani clasp the necklace around her neck and she helped him do the same. They sat in middle of the candles for the rest of the night wrapped in a blanket, eating cake, and talking about anything and everything that was on their minds. One by one the candles began to go out and soon enough, all were gone. The dark sky began to lighten and together they watched the sunrise, painting the sky all sorts of different shades of orange and yellow.


(: aw how cute ~ x]