Two

On The Rooftop

 

It was a long week not only for Lani, but for Chunji and CAP too. Her doorbell rang and she opened it to a delivery man who handed her a brown envelope. Lani placed the envelope on the table and sat staring at it. After calling Chunji and CAP, they said they’d be there as soon as possible. But, as soon as possible was taking too long for Lani. She reached out to grab hold of the envelope and held it with both her hands. She started to rip it open when there was a frantic knock on the door. The sudden noise startled Lani and she dropped the envelope on the floor. Instead of picking it up, she ran to the door and let Chunji and CAP in.

The three sat around the table with the brown envelope staring up at them. Sweat ran down the side of Lani’s face and she gulped as she reached for it. Chunji and CAP watched carefully as she continued ripping it open. They all looked at each other and she was about to pull the paper out. Her breathing got heavy and jagged. Her fingers trembled and she shifted uncomfortably in her chair.

“I can’t do it,” she said and she closed her eyes and pushed the envelope towards Chunji.

He took it from her, but he too could not bear to look. Lani peeked through one of her eyes to see if Chunji had looked, but he sat there frozen. He handed it to CAP who looked nervous. He took the paper between his thumb and index finger and began to pull it out. Lani felt like she was going crazy. The room spun around her as she nervously twisted her hair. It felt like eternity as CAP pulled out the paper. She could hear the clock ticking loudly in her head as she thought of what was on the paper. Who was the father? Was it her ex? Or was it L.Joe? Who did she want to be the father? So many different thoughts flooded her head and her heart pounded.

Lani and Chunji looked up as CAP opened his mouth to speak.

“Well…” CAP started.

“Hurry up and say it!” exclaimed Chunji who had run out of patience.

“I’m going to be an uncle,” he announced looking at Lani.

“So…that means… L.Joe’s the father?” Chunji said in relief.

“I guess…” was all Lani said. She didn’t know how to react. Was this what she wanted?

Lani was lifeless for the rest of the evening and didn’t say much. Chunji and CAP couldn’t do anything but worry about her. They cooked her a meal and stayed by her side until she finally fell asleep.

Throughout the next few weeks, Chunji and CAP did whatever they could to help. They took turns taking her to the doctor, cooking for her, or just spending the day with her. Her pregnancy began to become evident as there was a small bump on her stomach. She continued with training behind Chunji and CAP’s backs and as the days went on, she only became weaker. She was falling behind and no one was slowing down for her. She couldn’t let the company know or else she might get kicked out. This was her dream. Finally she had got into the company and spent hours singing and dancing, what she loved most. She wasn’t going to let one stupid mistake get in the way.

“Lani, what happened to you?” Her trainer asked her to stay back after practice so they could have a talk.

L.Joe was walking down the same hall to get his sweater he had forgotten in the practice room when he heard them talking.

“If you can’t keep up, you’re out. You used to be an energetic girl who couldn’t wait to dance around and sing, but now, I just don’t see it in you anymore.”

“I’m trying my best. I really am. You don’t know how much I want this. I’ve worked my whole life just to be accepted into a company and now that I am, I’m not going to give up,” Lani replied with a shaking voice. She was about to cry and L.Joe could tell. He moved closer to the door and slightly peered in.

“For now, I want you to focus on your dancing. You’re singing seems to be in a good place, but it looks like you’ve put on a little weight…” the trainer trailed off and L.Joe heard footsteps coming towards the door.

He ran into the nearest open room and waited for the footsteps to fade down the hall. Once L.Joe was sure the trainer was gone, he rushed into the room where Lani was. She sat in the middle of the room on her knees with soft sobs escaping her lips.

“Lani,” L.Joe said as he proceeded towards her.

She quickly wiped away her tears with her sleeve and turned and smiled. “L.Joe, hey.”

They hadn’t talked much since Lani found out he was the father, but it wasn’t awkward for either of them. Of course L.Joe didn’t know and it made Lani slightly uncomfortable to be sitting infront of her baby’s father.

“Erm…I overheard your conversation with your trainer…” he started and tried to read her expression.

She had a blank stare on her face and avoided any eye contact with L.Joe. Her eyes were puffy from crying and her cheeks bright red.

L.Joe realized Lani wasn’t going to speak and continued, “Why don’t I help you with your exercising and dancing?”

 Lani’s silence continued as she tried to collect her thoughts.

“I know we haven’t talked much since that day on the roof top… but I do care about you and your dreams, so please, let me help you,” L.Joe’s velvet voice filled the room and it was impossible for Lani to say no.

She just nodded and L.Joe told her he’d call her later.

-

“Hey, I’m going to work out, wanna come?” said L.Joe when Lani picked up her phone.

“Umm, I don’t think I can today, sorry,” and she hung up the phone.

L.Joe didn’t make anything of it and continued on with his daily routine.

He called her later that day and asked if she wanted to practice her dancing with him, but her response was always no. L.Joe began to get suspicious and felt rejection flow over him. She hates me, he thought. Why was I so stupid that day? I didn’t even call her after…

 


(: