Thirty One

On The Rooftop

“We’re wrapping up promotions next week,” Lani’s manager said to her as they walked back to her dressing room.

Lani nodded with a sad expression in her eyes and went to change. When she opened the door to her dressing room, Chunji was sitting on the couch waiting for her.

“Oppa… what are you doing here?” she asked as she closed the door behind her.

“Are you okay?” Chunji asked with concern filling his voice.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Lani asked forcing a smile.

“Come on Lani… I heard everything the audience said.”

“So? It doesn’t matter.”

“Are you telling me it didn’t bother you when they booed at the sound of your name?” Chunji asked cocking his head to the said.

Lani stared down at the floor as the pain struck her once more. When the MCs had introduced her today, instead of loud cheering, she heard boos coming from everyone in the audience. Of course she didn’t let it affect her and she carried on with her stage. The only time the crowd sounded at least a little pleased was at the sight of Chunji. After the stage, the audience booed her once more and she ran off to her manager.

“Lani,” Chunji said now standing in front of her.

“Oppa… they all hate me,” she replied letting the tears escape.

“Shhh,” Chunji said as he wrapped his arms around her and lightly her hair.

Lani put her arms around Chunji, hugging him tightly and silently cried into his chest. They stood like that until there was a knock at the door and Lani’s manager poked his head in. Chunji helped Lani get changed out of her stage clothes and into something more comfortable. He then walked with Lani and her manager to the van. He helped Lani in and once she was seated, he got in himself. Lani gave him a confused look and he simply smiled back.

“I told my manager that I’m going home with you today,” Chunji gave Lani a reassuring smile.

Lani smiled through her tears and rested her head on his shoulder. The drive was quiet as no one talked and Lani drifted in and out of sleep. Their manager drove into an intersection but was forced to stop due to the light turning red. After a few moments, the light turned green and the car moved forward. As they were passing through, the sound of a horn could be heard. Lani’s head shot up and she looked to the right. She was faced with the headlights of a car that was quickly approaching them. Her manager had no time to move the car out of the way and in seconds, the car had crashed into the side where Chunji was seated. Lani screamed as her body was thrown head first into the window next to her. She looked to her right to see a broken and bloody Chunji groaning in pain. Lani’s vision began to blur as she heard the growing sound of sirens. She saw a faint view of Chunji before her eyes closed and she fell unconscious.

-

“Miss? Can you hear me?” an unfamiliar voice said calmly.

Lani shifted slightly and opened her eyes to see a young woman dressed in a nurse’s uniform. She looked around the white room and realized she was in the hospital.

“What happened?” Lani said as she tried to sit up. She saw L.Joe sitting on the other side of the room sleeping on the chair. “How long has he been here?” she asked.

The nurse helped her get into a more comfortable position and responded, “you were in a car accident. He’s been here since he got the news, about 7 hours.”

“Car accident?” then Lani remembered. She remembered feeling the impact and seeing Chunji hurt. “Chunji! Where is he?”

“He’s just down the hall. The doctors are taking good care of him, so don’t worry.”

The nurse left Lani once she was done checking on her and her manager entered the room.

“I see you’re awake,” he said with a smile.

“Yeah, are you okay? Did you get hurt anywhere?” she asked with concern.

“I’m fine, just a few bruises, but I’ll live.”

Lani smiled back and got out of the bed. Her head felt heavy, but she didn’t let it bother her. She walked up to L.Joe and waved a hand in front of his face. No response. She poked his cheek, but again there was no response.

“He must be tired… what time is it?” Lani asked as she looked at her manager.

“It’s almost 3am,” he said as he looked at his watch.

Lani made her way back to the bed and picked up a pillow. She put it under L.Joe’s head and gave him a small peck on the cheek before turning back to her manager.

“I hope the people from the other car are alright,” she said as she sat down on the edge of the bed.

“Actually… they are, but this was no accident,” he said and Lani looked at him with confusion. “It was your anti fans… they targeted the van hoping to hit you, but little did they know that Chunji was there too.”

Lani let out a gasp. “How could they do that?!” she exclaimed. “Was Chunji hurt badly?”

“Well he got the direct hit… he’s awake if you’d like to see him.”

Lani nodded and her manager led her down the hall to Chunji’s room. She walked in and saw Chunji lying in bed with a cast on his right leg. Chunji looked at her and smiled and she noticed cuts and bruises on his face.

“Oppa!” Lani exclaimed as she ran to his bed and knelt down next to him.

“Hey Lani, how are you?” he asked.

“Are you okay oppa? Does it hurt?” Lani grabbed Chunji’s hand and closely examined the purple and blue bruises.

“I’m fine, how about you? Is your head better?”

“I have a slight headache, but it doesn’t hurt much.” Lani intertwined her fingers with Chunji’s and put her head to rest on their hands. “I’m sorry oppa… this is all my fault.”

“It’s okay Lani, don’t blame yourself.”

“But-”

“No buts. What happened happened and we can’t do anything to change it. So don’t get so worked up about it.”

Lani let out a sigh and closed her eyes. She stayed next to him until she heard someone yell her name.

“Lani!” L.Joe said slightly out of breath as he entered the room. “Lani!” He ran up to her and grabbed her arm, pulling her up into a hug. “I woke up and you weren’t there, so I thought… I thought that…” L.Joe trailed off as he locked eyes with Lani.

“I’m sorry, you were asleep when I woke up and I didn’t want to disturb you,” she said with apologetic eyes.

“You almost gave me a heart attack… I’m glad that you’re okay.” L.Joe held her tighter and buried his face in her hair. “Please don’t ever do that to me again.”


Omo :O

A big thanks to my bestie who wrote the accident scene (:

p.s have any of you heard of the 1+1 gwiyomi song?! i love it so much x]]