Chapter 9

Delusions of Grandeur

A:N/ Lol and now for the scene inspired by watching funniest home videos and observing part of the uni campus....Odd inspiration, right?

- -

“Hey L. Joe, you've got a free now right? Come over to the cafe, I want you to meet some people.” Chunji told L. Joe excitedly, delivering that short message before promptly hanging up the phone. L. Joe stared at his mobile in confusion for a moment, but sighed and started making his way over to the cafe.

 

His heart skipped a beat as the realisation that Chunji wanted to introduce him to some people sunk in to his mind. Chunji wanting to introduce him to some people, could only mean one thing. He was going to introduce him to that whole group of boys that he hung out with all the time; the coolest, prettiest most amazing boys on campus. The ones he'd always see Chunji talking with.

 

And he was about to become one of them.

 

He felt like he couldn't breathe. He felt like he was having an asthma attack, except he wasn't asthmatic. But he could feel his face break out in a wide grin, as his excitement bubbled up within him. He was nearly there, and he could already see Chunji standing with his friends.

 

Chunji kept smiling and he'd hit or hug or otherwise engage with his friends, but his attention seemed to drift about a lot. His eyes swivelled backwards and forwards, as though he wasn't sure which way he should be looking, or like he had an extremely short attention span. It was only when he got in Chunji's line of sight and waved to him, and the other boy's face lit up with glee that he realised that Chunji had been waiting for him: looking for him.

 

The thought made his stomach flop excitedly.

 

He ran over a few steps, wrapping his arms around L. Joe in a brief hug, before pulling away, one arm still draped over L. Joe's shoulder as he led him over to where the other boys were standing. “Everyone this is L. Joe. L. Joe, these are my friends, Niel, Changjo, Ricky and of course you've already met CAP.” Chunji stated, gesturing to each boy in turn.

 

L. Joe exchanged long stares with the boy called Ricky, thinking that there was something familiar about the other boy now that he saw him up close, but not able to place his finger on what was familiar about him. Before either of them could speak though, the other boys had proceeded down the stairs into the grassy area on the lower level. They were all huddled around the side of the building, though for what reason L. Joe had no idea.

 

Feeling uncomfortable about not knowing what was going on, L. Joe hung back, which Chunji noticed. “He grabbed L. Joe's arm and pointed at CAP who was going up first. “See we like to sit on the roof of that shed, since it has the nicest view, but without any of the ants or spiders and without any risk of other people coming and sitting too close. No one else knows how to climb up there.” Chunji whispered conspiratorially.

 

L. Joe nodded, carefully watching the way CAP scaled the side of the building, neatly stepping out onto the roof, and making his way over towards the far side, setting his bag down by the wall. Ricky, Changjo, Niel and Chunji were all up there within a matter of seconds, leaving L. Joe awed at their agility. It was only when Chunji had looked back down over the roof's ledge to L. Joe waving him up, that he realised he'd now have to make that same climb.

 

He tried to protest that someone as clumsy as him shouldn't be trusted to attempt something like this, but one thought of all the other guys behind Chunji, who'd know that he'd chickened out, drove him forward. Hesitantly he started to climb, almost letting go in his excitement when he managed to get about a metre off the ground. He continued to climb, until he was nearly on the roof, it taking him far longer than the others because of his lack of confidence.

 

He sped up right at the end, there being only two steps separating him from the roof's surface, when he slipped screaming in both fear and surprise. Chunji had been watching him since he'd started, resting on that ledge, and he immediately dove forward, grabbing L. Joe's arm with all of his strength. But he was only able to halt L. Joe's fall, before he too was tugged over the edge, from their combined weight, causing them both to crash back down onto the grass below.

 

Chunji's body was covering most of L. Joe's where they landed, probably causing himself some amount of pain, but he pushed the thought aside for the moment. Chunji could hear his friends excited cackles and whoops at the display, but he ignored them too, his attention squarely focused on the boy beneath him and making sure he was okay.

 

He was worried that L. Joe might've been knocked unconscious when they hit the ground, but he quickly realised that L. Joe's eyes were squeezed shut because he was embarrassed as he attempted to curl in on himself. “Are you okay?” Chunji asked, all the same, wanting to make sure that L. Joe hadn't been injured from their fall.

 

L. Joe nodded quickly, hands quickly coming up to cover his face. “Please, just kill me.” he mumbled, his cheeks staining a bright red colour, as the blood seemed to drain from the rest of his face, leaving everywhere else looking pallid by comparison. Chunji laughed softly, attempting to shrug at his friend, “It's okay. happens.”

 

L. Joe looked at Chunji timidly, acting as though he doubted Chunji's good humour about the whole thing. Though maybe that was because he thought Chunji should be taking the whole thing more seriously than he was. Chunji didn't see the big deal: neither of them were injured, and thinking about it now, he thought that it must've been a pretty funny sight to anyone that had been watching. He looked as though he were going to respond, but quickly shut his mouth again, when the loud voices of Chunji's friends could he heard.

 

Chunji turned, looking up at the other boys, having to shield his eyes to be able to do so. They were all leaning over the ledge, to observe them, cackling hysterically, though whether it was over what had happened, or their current arrangement, splayed across the grass, Chunji couldn't be sure. All the same, he returned the grins, with one of his own, and a wave.

 

“Nice try, Chunji, but I think that counts as a fail.” Niel offered, with a wide smile. But before Chunji could argue with him, the raucous laughter that preceded Changjo's loud shout, caught his attention. “Just can't keep your hands off them for 5 minutes can you, Chunji?” his words, bringing an even bigger grin to Chunji's lips, the playful words, urging him to play along.

 

He turned back to face L. Joe, who by this stage was paying him little attention, as he attempted to force the ground to swallow him up whole right then so that he could escape his embarrassment, and so his movements went unnoticed as he drew closer. “You know it!” he winked, pressing his face, close to L. Joe's as he draped his arms over his shoulders.

 

The light pressure drew L. Joe's attention away from his mental monologue of self-pity and admonishment, and upon seeing their close proximity, he tried to draw himself backwards, a startled yelp escaping his lips, making everyone laugh more.

 

“Come on guys, leave him alone!” Ricky whined, eyeing L. Joe with pity, but no one really wanted to listen to what he said, enjoying themselves too much with their teasing. Ricky grabbed hold of CAP's arm, shaking it, pleadingly as he shouted, “Come on CAP, please! Make them leave L. Joe alone!” though why he appealed to CAP no one had any idea. CAP was the least likely person to step in, but after one long look at Ricky's pouting, he sighed. “Alright, knock it off Chunji.” he stated.

 

Chunji pouted, turning back to poke his tongue out at his friend, but he pulled away nonetheless, L. Joe quickly bringing a hand up to rest on his chest, in an attempt to calm his nerves. He knew that Chunji had only been doing that to , and the apologetic look he sent him, as he offered his hand to help L. Joe get up, proved that. Still, he wasn't expecting someone as attractive as Chunji to get so close to him, and just look at him like that. It made him feel uncomfortably exposed; it felt entirely too private to do so while they were lying on the grass at university, with his friends watching them.

 

But if he really thought about it, he'd say that the action felt too intimate for them even if they'd been alone. The two of them weren't that close yet, and the physical contact startled him something terribly. That combined with his nerves about meeting Chunji's friends, his idols, combined with his embarrassment at having embarrassed himself in front of Chunji and his friends, made his knees go weak, when Chunji pulled him over to try climbing up onto the roof again.

 

He tried to shake his head, and splutter some sort of polite refusal, but Chunji just smiled at him, pushing him closer to it. “Don't worry, I'll stay down here, in case you fall again, and the guys will help you try and get up this time, won't you?” he demanded, glaring up at the roof, forgetting to cover his eyes this time, and thus, getting partially blinded by the sun.

 

Ricky pushed the other boys backwards, eagerly hovering over the edge, “Don't worry, L. Joe. I'll help you! You can trust me!” L. Joe shuffled, still uncomfortable, but he realised these boys were making it their mission to ensure that he made it up onto the roof, now that he'd failed once already. So sighing, and with trembling hands, he tried to climb up again, forcing his body to push through his nerves and move.

 

Within a few moments, he was out of Chunji's hands, and the moment left him feeling unstable. He felt like he could had fallen, without their comforting, guiding presence keeping him calm as he climbed: reassuring him that Chunji could catch him, and there would be no harm done if he were to fall. But before the thought could instil any real sense of fear in him, he felt the tight, kind of painful grip on his arms, signifying that Ricky had a hold of him, and he breathed a sigh of relief. He was safe again, and with his assistance, L. Joe was able to pull himself up onto the roof, settling into a spot beside Ricky with a trembling sigh of relief.

 

Knowing that L. Joe had made it up alright, Chunji made his own way up, crawling past the boys, to be able to sit, facing them, beside Changjo, his back facing the view. He'd seen it a million times anyway, and he didn't really want to leave L. Joe by himself beside Ricky. He liked Ricky and he knew the boy would take care of L. Joe, if he stopped paying attention to him for some reason, but he doubted that L. Joe would feel comfortable with the arrangement.

 

He wanted L. Joe to feel as comfortable as was physically possible given the new people he was currently being introduced to. He had a feeling that the less stress L. Joe was under, the better it would be for him.

 

Ricky and L. Joe had failed to notice Chunji though, having gotten caught up with staring at one another again. Niel considered knocking their heads together for it, but Chunji stilled his arm, when he tried leaning over to do so. He had a feeling that one of them would speak about whatever it was, soon enough.

 

Sure enough, a second later, L. Joe clicked his fingers, in realisation. “I've got it. You're Chang....hyun?” L. Joe began, at first sounding very excited, but then slowing, as he became more hesitant that he might be getting this boy Ricky mixed up with someone else. Ricky nodded, excitedly, before furrowing his brow in his confusion. “Yes, and you are.... Byu..Byung....?” he questioned doubtfully, shaking his head several times, trying to finish the name, but unable to come up with anything. Ricky was looking at him so piteously, that he looked as though he thought L. Joe would be mad at him for forgetting his name.

 

Far from it, L. Joe grinned widely, nodding excitedly as he finished his name, for Ricky, “Byunghun. It's been forever!” he exclaimed, pulling Ricky close to him, in a hug, startling the others.

 

Chunji was looking back and forth between the two boys who started chatting with each other amicably, arms still wound around one another as they spoke. “You guys know each other?” he asked, sounding confused.

 

L. Joe turned back to face him, his face now much more relaxed, in a grin, which caught Chunji by surprise as he nodded. “Yeah, we go way back.” Changjo turned to Chunji, enquiring, “I thought you said that he came from America? How can he know Ricky?” Chunji shuffled, uncomfortably, opening his mouth to say something in response to the comment, but he wasn't sure what to say to him.

 

L. Joe wouldn't lie to him about something like this, would he?

 

“L. Joe did go to America. But he lived here before that, when he was younger. They didn't move to America until he was.... what, 9?” Ricky questioned, getting a little fuzzy about the exact details of the matter.

 

“I was 8.” L. Joe corrected. Taking the opportunity to turn the conversation back towards Chunji. He kind of felt like he owed Chunji an explanation, and speaking to him directly, made any nerves he felt at being surrounded by people he didn't know, fade into the background. It gave him something more immediate to focus on, but stranger still, it felt like a much more intimate conversation. “Ricky's mother and mine were friends back when they were younger; they lived in the same neighbourhood, so when they had children a few years apart, they insisted that we spend a lot of time together as kids. We used to play together all the time, until we moved overseas.” L. Joe explained.

 

Chunji nodded, but a little pout formed on his lips, nearly blinding L. Joe, forcing him to look away, as his cheeks flamed. No wonder everyone referred to Chunji as the most attractive member in their group of friends, if he could pull out a look like that whenever he felt like it.

 

Niel had started reclining on the roof, tipping his chin up to face the sky, as he closed his eyes relaxing, and enjoying the breeze. When he tilted his head back down to meet his surroundings he caught Chunji's pout, and couldn't help breaking out in a wide grin, smacking CAP lightly on the thigh to draw his attention to the look, nodding in Chunji's direction. “Oh look, Chunji's getting jealous again.”

 

Niel's quip immediately drew the gazes of all the other boy to look in Chunji's direction, who then broke out in grins and laughter at the other boy's expense. L. Joe felt both guilty and concerned for the other boy, hearing his friends laughing at him like this, when they shouldn't be, and raised his head to try and convey his empathy to Chunji. Except when their eyes met, he saw the way Chunji seemed to be smiling slightly, despite his pout; his eyes dancing with mirth, as he started playing up to his friends, exaggerating his jealousy, and pounding on the roof with his hands and kicking his feet childishly to play along.

 

L. Joe's gaze slid over to Niel, trying to work out from the situation whether his comment was supposed to be mean or not. He could detect no trace of anything other than amusement on the younger boy's face. But then he was struck by something far more noticeable, that had thus far escaped his attention.

 

Niel was dressed in a high school uniform.

 

He blinked at that sudden realisation. He'd already known he was before, but he'd completely spaced about it until now: the detail somehow being overlooked with everything that was going on. His gaze drifted around the group of boys. Sure enough Changjo and Ricky were dressed in the same uniform, while Chunji, CAP and himself were all dressed in their own clothes.

 

How had he missed that?

 

He kind of wanted to smack himself in the head, for being so unobservant. No wonder he'd thought of Niel as being younger than him a moment before. He really should've remembered it, especially when he had just been thinking about the fact that he was a few years older than Ricky. He should've remembered that the other boy would still be in high school, since he'd only just started university himself. He couldn't believe he'd forgotten all about it.

 

L. Joe shook his head slightly, to try and rid his mind of those thoughts, so that he could work out what everyone else was talking about, not wanting to fall behind in the conversation. He really did want to make a good impression with these guys, and while his clumsy fall may not have helped that in anyway, it only urged him to try harder to gain their approval.

 

Ricky must have realised that something was bothering L. Joe, as he leaned close to L. Joe, explaining to him softly, “Don't worry , we always tease Chunji like this, he doesn't mind. He's just not very good at keeping his feelings to himself.” L. Joe looked torn between replying and trying to argue with that logic. Just because Chunji had never stopped them didn't mean that what they were doing was okay, or that it wasn't cruel.

 

But before he could say anything Chunji had rounded on the two of them, petulantly, “Well it's not my fault. It's not fair! I've been trying to reach out to him for weeks, and here Ricky is being all friendly with him just like that!” he exclaimed, clicking his fingers for emphasis at the end of his statement.

 

“They're old friends, you idiot.” Niel chided, but Chunji just his chin up, arrogantly, “I don't care. I'm the one who has been working for his friendship, it should all belong to me!” he stated, before bursting out into a fit of giggles of his own, when everyone else laughed at what he said.

 

In a way, L. Joe wished that someone would say something like that seriously, but still, he laughed along with the others.

 

Chunji did look pretty cute when he said that.