Chapter 8

Delusions of Grandeur

'Hey. Do you have any breaks today?' Chunji texted him. He observed the message, with a small shot of delight, at the realisation that someone was messaging him for a change. He didn't get messaged very often, and the knowledge that it was Chunji that wanted to hang out with him made him feel even happier.

 

'From 11 to 12?' L. Joe sent back, finding himself too distracted to listen to the lecturer while he eyed his phone obsessively, just dying to feel it vibrate again, telling him that Chunji had responded. He wanted to grin with pride at the knowledge that he was having a texting conversation with one of the coolest and most attractive guys on campus, in the middle of class.

 

Who'd believe that?

 

'No good. I've got a class then. Where are you?' Chunji messaged him back, and the knowledge that they wouldn't get to hang out together after all, made L. Joe feel a little bit disappointed. It was kind of nice to think that someone wanted to hang out with him again.

 

'In the Music building, level 2. In a lecture.' L. Joe responded.

 

'Oh ok, bad time. But I mean it. You and me, we're going to hang out with one another one of these days. Enjoy class.' Chunji texted back. L. Joe knew that was probably going to be the last message he was going to receive from Chunji for the day. It was a rare occurrence that he had a conversation like this.

 

And now it was over just as soon as it had started.

 

- -

 

L. Joe eyed the dessert cabinet, distrustfully, fully expecting everyone in front of him to steal his beloved treat right out from under his nose. The cabinet could only be opened by the barista, and so he needed to go up to the counter and pay to be able to get his hands on that delicious looking vanilla slice, he'd spied as he made his way past the shop on his way over to the library.

 

He was overworked, with little sleep, how could he possibly resist the sugary little square? He deserved a treat for all that he'd endured just by having been there for class.

 

But since there was only one of them left in the case, and he had no way of taking it before one of the other students got there, he found himself waiting in line anxiously. Making it to the counter, he requested the slice, quickly paying the woman with the exact change, and turning to leave, treat in hand only to come face to face with a familiar face.

 

“L. Joe? What are you doing here?” Chunji asked, excited, tugging L. Joe out of the path of the other customers, so that they could chat for a moment. A little shocked, L. Joe barely managed to lift his wrist to show off the paper bag containing his little treat. “Ah I see. Hey do you have a break now?” Chunji pressed excitedly, to which L. Joe nodded slowly, only for Chunji to then drag him away, excitedly blabbing about having the perfect place for them to go sit.

 

Chunji dragged him over to an alleyway, he was unfamiliar with, which lead him out to a different section of the grassy, sports field the university maintained. There were no seats, but there was a fairly thick stone wall, which Chunji settled himself onto, gesturing to the slab of stone beside him, invitingly, until L. Joe sat down too.

 

He withdrew his vanilla slice slowly, noting the way Chunji's eyes sparkled in obvious delight and envy at what L. Joe had bought himself. L. Joe took a bite, trying to show off, by making a big deal about how nice it tasted, only to choke on the crumbly pastry.

 

His throat was so dry.

 

Chunji patted his back, in concern, withdrawing a bottle of juice, which he flashed at L. Joe. But when the younger boy reached out to try and grab the bottle from him, Chunji withdrew it, a mischievous expression covering his features. “Tell you what I'll do a trade with you. I'll split my freshly bought juice with you, if you give me half of your slice?” Chunji suggested.

 

L. Joe nodded rapidly, more than happy to do the exchange, knowing that he wouldn't be able to have another bite of it, if he didn't get something to drink. Seeing his confirmation, Chunji handed him the bottle easily, only to take a bite out of the side of the square, grinning with delight.

 

L. Joe gulped down several mouthfuls of drink, tugging the square back in his direction, taking a second to notice the bite marks left by the other boy, before taking another bite of his own, trying to very carefully avoid the area Chunji had bitten from. Chunji frowned at the avoidance, leaning over to take another bite.

 

“Is your knee okay?” Chunji enquired, thoughtfully, before taking another sip of his juice. L. Joe paused for a second at the unexpected question before nodding his head enthusiastically, embarrassed by the reminder of both his own clumsiness and the fact that Chunji had been there to witness it. “Yeah, it's fine. No bruises or anything.”

 

“Good. I'm glad.” Chunji began, only to fall silent a moment later. This had to be the quietest that L. Joe had ever seen Chunji. He seemed so subdued. It was kind of distressing; he was usually so vibrant and friendly. “Are you okay?” L. Joe asked, before he could really stop himself.

 

Chunji looked a little confused by the question, but he smiled, “Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?” L. Joe shrugged, not really sure why he felt the need to ask either. “You just seem really quiet today. I was worried that there might've been something wrong.” he explained. Chunji considered what he said, confessing “Well, I suppose I did have a bit of a rough night, so I'm a little tired, but other than that I'm alright.”

 

“It wasn't because of me was it?” L. Joe enquired horrified by the thought that he might've had something to do with Chunji's bad evening. He did introduce him to CAP yesterday after all, and hadn't Chunji said that he lived with CAP? CAP hadn't seemed particularly impressed that Chunji had decided to introduce them to each other. What if because of that, CAP and Chunji had a fight when they got home the previous evening, and that's why he'd had such a bad night? He didn't want to cause trouble!

 

Chunji sent him an intrigued look, while he grinned. “Why would you think something like that?” L. Joe felt his cheeks flame, almost painfully, as he berated himself. Of course he was being stupid. Why would he matter enough to either of them to cause a fight? He was so self-absorbed his first thoughts had automatically centred on himself, when he heard that he'd had a bad night, that he'd just assumed that he'd been the cause of it. “Well I mean you and CAP are room mates, and he didn't seem to like me very much and, I just thought maybe...” he began, but his nerves stole any further words of explanation from his lips.

 

Chunji grinned at his explanation, hugging L. Joe close to himself, rubbing his arm as an attempt to provide comfort, as he found himself unable to cease a few chuckles at L. Joe's expense. “Nothing of the sort. I mean I know CAP is a bit prickly, but he's never started a fight with me over my choice in friends before, and I'd be surprised if he ever did. No my night was bad because I had to do about 40 pages of reading last night, so I'd be prepared for 2 different tutorials I have today, combined with the fact that I couldn't sleep because of the hallway light being left on, while Niel stayed up to finish some homework his teacher gave him for today. No fighting, I promise.” Chunji explained.

 

“Besides, it's not like my friends would ever fight over someone like you, L. Joe. You're far too cool: they'd never have a problem with me introducing you to them. You've just got to give some of them a chance: they're not the best when it comes to social skills.” Chunji explained, with a sigh, stealing the last bite of the slice, right out of L. Joe's fingers.

 

L. Joe frowned at the realisation his sugary treat was all gone, but he supposed it served him right. He'd clearly left it there for too long, untouched, so Chunji had just assumed he didn't want it. At least he could have some of the icing which had melted onto his fingers, he mused, as he on them absent mindedly, while Chunji took another sip of the juice, only to hand it to L. Joe when he realised that there wasn't much left.

 

L. Joe tried to refuse the drink, but Chunji was very insistent that he take it. “No, no I stole the last of your food. It's only fair that you get the last of my drink.” he insisted, breaking out in a wide grin the moment that L. Joe took the juice from his hands, downing the last remnants of the bottle with one gulp. He frowned at the taste of it, the juice having grown warm from being out in the sun, but he forced himself to swallow it, making Chunji laugh.

 

“So, come on. Talk to me. I've been dying to get you alone so that I could get more information out of you. I know you study music. Tell me more about that.” Chunji pestered, his hand shielding his eyes so that he could keep looking at L. Joe as he spoke. L. Joe shrugged uncomfortably, “I don't see what I can tell you. I'm in the piano stream, and I'm a first year. What more is there to it?”

 

“I don't know, you're the one that studies it, if anyone should know it's you. What do they teach you in piano?” Chunji questioned, face palming when he realised that his question may turn out to be very obvious one. L. Joe grinned at the question, explaining, “Well I take a musicology class each semester. I also have mandatory performance class, same as you probably do. They make us take song composition classes and western music classes, but the biggest focus is on 'piano accompaniment' classes.” L. Joe explained, his words flowing quickly in the hopes that maybe if he keeps talking Chunji might get sick of listening to him and ask him to stop.

 

But Chunji's eyes were alight with intrigue and mischief as he asked, “What's that about then?” L. Joe sighed, trying to think of the best way to explain what his class was about. “Well, it's all about teaching us how to put up with vocal student prima-donnas.” Chunji laughed, at the description. “So you think we're all prima-donnas do you? Is that a personal opinion or is that what all piano players think?”

 

“Just the general impression amongst piano players, I think. A lot of the vocal majors tend to look down on those of us who play instruments whenever we have classes together. But the fact that a whole part of our course is designed around how we are supposed to play second fiddle to you, doesn't exactly help build friendship.” L. Joe commented, rubbing the back of his neck, uncomfortably.

 

“So, do you think I look down on piano majors?” Chunji questioned, leaning forward, his eyelashes fluttering, subconsciously, as he stared at L. Joe as he spoke. “No.” L. Joe gasped, “Not at all.” Chunji eyed him, clearly both confused and amused at why L. Joe looked so nervous right now. “Why do you seem so nervous all of a sudden?” he enquired, but L. Joe didn't think he'd be able to answer that question, which is why he was grateful that Chunji waved it off, as a second thought.

 

“No, no I'm not doing this now. I want to know more about you. Do you have any siblings? Any pets? Who were your friends in high school? What are their names? What sort of music do you like? What sort of student were you? Did you want to come do music here, or was it a back up? Are you happy that I spend so much time bugging you? Do you want to hang out more often? Would you like to meet my friends?” Chunji spat, rapid fire, convincing L. Joe that he was probably going to swallow his own tongue if he wasn't careful.

 

“Yes, I have an older brother and I have a dog. I only knew about 3 boys who were in my class. Their names were Minho, Daesung and Kibum, but they've all gone off on very different paths, I'm not really sure what they 're doing or where they've gone. We've kind of lost touch. I love listening to hip-hop, because I really enjoy rap. I was the same as I am now: a good student. This was my first choice. I am happy that you talk to me so much and I would like to hang out with you more often, and yes I'd love to meet your friends.” L. Joe blurted out, trying to answer every single one of Chunji's questions.

 

Chunji just blinked at him, clearly trying to process everything that L. Joe had said. L. Joe thought that he might've spoken too quickly or that Chunji might've misunderstood him, given the blank stare he was receiving but that thought was stolen from him, when Chunji gave him this mischievous little smirk. “You know they say that if you're the second son, then it's the best possible circumstance under which you can be gay.” L. Joe just stared at him for a moment, seeing whether or not Chunji was going to say something after that comment, but Chunji said nothing. “Why did you say that?” he asked, embarrassed.

 

Chunji only shrugged, with a teasing grin adorning his lips, as he answered “I dunno. It's just what my friends say when they hear someone is a second son.” L. Joe stared at him, trying to work out where a comment like that could possibly come from. Chunji looked unnerved by L. Joe's stare, “What? We do! And besides, it's true. No expectations for grandchildren, preserving familial inheritance, all things considered, it's pretty much the best time to be born gay. Unless you're staring at me, because you're a hater or something?”

 

L. Joe quickly shook his head and his hands, not wanting to risk the possibility that he might be misunderstood. “Not at all. I'm from America remember? Liberal values and all that. It's just an odd statement to make out of the blue is all.” L. Joe explained. Chunji eyed him for another few moments clearly trying to decide whether he believed L. Joe about his feelings or not, but he seemed satisfied, from what L. Joe could tell. He had a sneaking suspicion that Chunji would have walked off, right then and there if he didn't believe him. He couldn't help but wonder if maybe Chunji himself was gay.

 

Did that mean Chunji was so friendly to him all the time because he liked him? What if he confessed his feelings, how should L. Joe respond to them? He wasn't a hater or anything, but he really didn't know Chunji that well yet. They'd only recently started spending time together, he wasn't sure he was ready to consider the idea that Chunji might want more from him than simple friendship. He shook himself, mentally chiding himself for how quick he was to label Chunji. Chunji hadn't said that he was gay: he hadn't said anything even close. Chunji was just friendly; that's all.

 

“So do you have a class now?” Chunji enquired excitedly, to which L. Joe nodded. “I have a lecture for my accompaniment class over in the Music building.” he answered succinctly standing, and stretching in preparation for leaving Chunji and their unexpected conversation. But to his surprise Chunji stood too, linking their arms, and saying “Good. I need to kill an hour before my next tutorial. May I join you? I want see just what sort of lies they peddle about my kind in this class of yours.” topping off his comment with a flashy wink.