Chapter 25

Delusions of Grandeur

A:N/ Oops...nearly forgot again...Just having one of those days, yoou know the ones where there's too much to do and no time?....and in no sleep, and a bad day yesterday and that's where I'm at right now... Oh wait today was bad too..... Well anyways, here's the update! hopefully this will perk up your day!

- -

“Have you noticed the way L. Joe's been acting lately?” Ricky questioned, eyeing Chunji excitedly as the older boy set about preparing his hot chocolate. A moment later the mug was set down in front of the younger boy who hurriedly slurped it down, greedily delighting in the burn as the liquid passed down his throat.

 

“What are you talking about?” Chunji demanded playfully, settling into the seat opposite the young boy, a pleased smile playing upon his lips at the sight of the younger boy enjoying the drink he made for him.

 

“L. Joe.” Ricky stated, looking at the older boy as though he thought he was stupid, for not having realised what he was talking about. Chunji rolled his eyes at the repetition, not seeing the answer to his question in the name. “I knew who you were talking about. I don't understand what about L. Joe you want my opinion on.” Chunji explained.

 

“Oh” Ricky exclaimed, surprised. “I dunno, he's just...Acting...Funny.” Ricky trailed off, trying to think of a better way to phrase what he was saying, scratching his head in irritation. “I mean, like how he took us to Minho's party a few weeks ago.” Ricky pointed out.

 

Chunji frowned, confused by Ricky's mention of that incident. “What about it? He did you a favour, taking you to your party, what's wrong with that?” he questioned. “The fact that L. Joe doesn't do stuff like that for no reason. He's not as nice as you are.” Ricky scoffed. “Then all the other stuff too, you know, offering to help us with assignments so you don't have to, driving us around and picking us up, not to mention all the stuff he does for you personally.” Ricky continued, gesturing around wildly.

 

Chunji's gaze slid lower as though he couldn't bring himself to meet Ricky's eye as he spoke. “You think there's something behind L. Joe's sudden helpfulness?” he asked, sounding a little hesitant to ask the question. “I think L. Joe likes you.” Ricky stated pointedly, staring Chunji dead in the eye as he kicked his feet backwards and forwards beneath the table.

 

“Do you now?” Chunji questioned, a small, smile coming to his lips at Ricky's words. “I do. And Changjo and Niel agree with me. We all think he likes you. Even CAP agrees with us. I mean think about it, everything he's doing is designed to try and lighten your load, and make things easier for you. Why would he go through so much effort for you, if not because he likes you?” Ricky stated, certainly.

 

Chunji rolled his eyes at the comment. “If you ask him, I doubt that he'd agree with you. I'd wager that he is just doing it to repay me for helping him out with Mr Kim.” he pointed out. Ricky crinkled his nose in disgust, shaking his head vehemently. “He can say what he likes, but I've never seen L. Joe do anything more than say thank you, no matter what someone did. Trust me on this, he likes you, and is hoping that if he does things for you it'll make you like him in return.”

 

“Is that so?” Chunji murmured, shaking his head slightly, amused. “Is it working?” Ricky asked, wide eyed and hopeful that Chunji would say something positive. “Not really.” noting Ricky's crestfallen expression, before he chuckled to himself, “Ricky, he doesn't have to do things for me to like him, I already like him.” he explained, amused.

 

But his smile got a sad tinge to it, as Ricky jubilantly celebrated L. Joe's success. Ricky paused, mid bounce to take in his friend's depressed look. “What's wrong Chunji? You like him, he likes you, what's there to be sad about?” he enquired, a tentatively concerned look marring his boyish features.

 

“There are a lot of things wrong.” he commented, depressed. “What do you mean?” Ricky asked, confused. “Well let's see, first of all I'm not sure I believe that L. Joe likes me, secondly, after the Mr Kim incident, I don't think I could ever try conveying my feelings to him for fear of being met with the same sort of reaction, then there's the fact that I don't like him: I'm in love with him, and where I'm not sure he genuinely likes me, I'm certain he doesn't love me, so exactly where in all this mess is there supposed to be something I should be happy about? At best, I'm just being taunted with something I long for, but which I'll never have.” Chunji explained in a huff, his depression at the situation making him feel even more miserable.

 

“L. Joe might love you.” Ricky began uncertainly, looking really uncomfortable at the prospect of trying to console Chunji about what's happening between him and L. Joe. He was probably concerned that he might say the wrong thing and push Chunji over the edge: he didn't want to make Chunji angry, but he definitely didn't want to make him cry either. “He's only started doing this sort of stuff for me recently: since the whole incident with Mr Kim. It's too sudden, Ricky. He doesn't love me.”

 

“You know what I think love is?” Ricky piped up suddenly, looking a little shaken by the prospect of putting forward his personal philosophy on the matter. “I think love is the difference between feeling and thinking. I think the moment a person becomes consciously aware of their own feelings is the moment they are said to fall in love. L. Joe has the feelings for you now, he just needs that cognitive push to get him to see those feelings for what they really are, and that's going to happen sooner or later.” he stated, his cheeks turning a dark colour at the realisation of what he just said.

 

Chunji sat before him quietly, a thoughtful, unseeing expression plastered across his face. Ricky wasn't sure whether the other boy was even remotely aware of what he'd said or not. But before he could ask Chunji about it, the other boy shot up a determined, hopeful glimmer to his eye, as he stood suddenly. “You're right. Where's Niel?” he asked suddenly.

 

“Last I knew, he was at work. His shift finishes at 4. Why?” he enquired puzzled. But Chunji only waved him off, nodding to himself, happily as he leant down, giving the younger boy a brief kiss on the forehead as he passed him on his way out of the kitchen, “You're the best Ricky!” he exclaimed, racing out of the apartment.

 

Ricky was confused by the other boy's reaction to what he said, trying to work out what could possibly have been running through the older boy's mind. However, when he turned slightly to regard the older boy's retreating back, he instead locked eyes with the stunned gaze of another boy. He gulped slightly to himself wondering how much of their conversation had been overheard, but he knew he need not have worried for the integrity of Chunji's secret when the older boy's surprise quickly reverted to a heated, jealous glare.

 

Perhaps it would have been better if L. Joe had overheard what Chunji had said, rather than what he'd done, Ricky thought to himself, as he cowered in his chair, wondering what punishment the older boy was going to enact upon him for Chunji's thoughtless, parting action.